Colt Technology Services Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Colt Technology Services Chief Executive Officer Carl Grivner
Carl Grivner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work life balance and work culture" (in 100 reviews)

• "I got to work from home quite a lot" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"More Tech than Telecoms"

Current Employee - Talent in London, England
    Current Employee - Talent in London, England

I have been working at Colt Technology Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked in several large Telecoms companies, including BT and Level 3 Communications and what I genuinely love about Colt is that the culture is more similar to a tech company than a telecoms company. There is more energy, diversity and innovation than either of the previous telecoms companies I worked for. Also being headquartered in Europe means that the work I do has genuine global business impact compared to the larger US headquartered companies like Century Link where the work you do is only a small regional extension of what is a giant american machine. Colt pay slightly above average in the market place and there are plenty of additional benefits that will help to make it an enjoyable place to work. For example, a person-centred approach to development is helping to create a true coaching culture, generous rewards and recognition helps to engage employees, and the work environment in London is fantastic with great coffee, free fruit and an amazing employee hub area with cafeteria, table tennis, pool table and Foosball. Finally, it is worth mentioning how friendly people are, even those that work in other teams that you only pass in the stairway. Joining Colt was a really positive move for me!

Cons

As with many telecommunications companies, delivery is the biggest challenge. Colt are lucky in that they own so much of the metro infrastructure across Europe, however even with this, the greatest amount of frustration expressed from employees comes from siloed work and resulting poor internal communication. This then results in some employees having to consistently correct mistakes made by others and in more severe cases deal with internal or customer conflict caused by poor customer service. Although this is a major challenge for Colt and frustrating for some employees, the truth is, it is no way as bad as what I experienced at BT or Level 3, and due to Colt's smaller size, agility, and quality of their talent they will be able to fix this if they really focus on it.

Advice to Management

See message above...

11 Jul 2018 – HR Manager

It's great to read that moving to Colt has been a positive experience for you. We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review, so thanks! We are always striving to make... More

2. "A positive and ambitious place to work"

I have been working at Colt Technology Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always striving to deliver a positive experience internally and externally
    Doesnt matter what role you hold, you have a voice
    Forward thinking and innotave
    Accessable and responsive ELT

Cons

Too many ststems, logins and passwords. This lets you down. Really need to invest here!
    Perhaps look at health & wellbeing for employees, this is key to retention and attraction. This is becoming the norm in the industry sector and we are not leading the way here.

Advice to Management

Address the cons!

3. "Great place to work......"

Current Employee - Global Account Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Global Account Director in London, England

I have been working at Colt Technology Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well, have created a can do atmosphere here and they have the potential to be the stand out telco in Europe. They want to do more as a business and you can push a don drive them through your role.

Cons

Everything in the UK is based in London which can be a downer with the travel and cost of trains.

Advice to Management

Bring in home working contracts

29 Jan 2019 – HR Manager

I agree - the role is what you make of it! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience of Colt. If you'd like to add anything else, please get in touch at shareyourfeedback@colt.net.

4. "Pretty solid place to work"

I have been working at Colt Technology Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive colleagues, lovely office facility, capable management, fairly good compensation

Cons

No paid sick leave? ONLY has statutory sick pay, which in Greater London is an absolute disgrace and reason people might struggle to make ends meet if they're sick for a week or longer. Absolutely DEPLORABLE for a company of this size. This encourages people to come to work sick, spread viruses, ultimately negatively affects performance all around. Had I not been so interested in the job, this would have been an immediate reason for me not to take the offer last year.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits, structure onboarding better (as in help newbies find and read all policies rather than making them look around for them endlessly), pay employees when off sick - at least to a certain amount.

29 Jan 2019 – HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience of working at Colt. I have passed on your comments to your local HR team. If you'd like to add anything else please get in touch at... More

5. "good"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England

I worked at Colt Technology Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The HR processes were good and friendly. The benefits were decided at the end of the year in a flexible manner. I got to work from home quite a lot. This was during the time when Colt still had it's Cloud business, not sure if this has changed since they sold it to Getronics

Cons

The IT processes were slightly tedious

11 Jan 2019 – HR Manager

It's great to read this positive feedback - thanks for taking the time to share your experience. To continue the conversation please get in touch at shareyourfeedback@colt.net.

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Specialist in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Specialist in London, England

I have been working at Colt Technology Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

relaxing work environment, flexible working.

Cons

Too much politics in the organisation instead of focusing on the work

11 Jan 2019 – HR Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience of Colt. If you'd like to add anything further then please get in touch at shareyourfeedback@colt.net.

7. "A very positive place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President in London, England
    Current Employee - Vice President in London, England

I have been working at Colt Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colt has changed beyond recognition in the past 3 years. It used to be a small company that thought it was a big one, so had all the disadvantages of being big with none of the advantages. It used to have a bureaucratic and admin-heavy work culture.

These days have gone and the culture of work has changed beyond recognition. It is now highly focused, energetic, challenging and flexible place to work. If you need to get something done, you can. Nobody will stand in your way. It is also much more ambitious than it used to be, investing and expanding globally.

Cons

Being short of resource in some areas and some countries, means achieving objectives can be a significant challenge.

26 Nov 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience of Colt - it's great to read your positive comments. If you'd like to add anything else please get in touch at shareyourfeedback@colt.net.

8. "Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Colt Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Appear to value employee engagement and feedback

Cons

Lack of stability in leadership team

10 Dec 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. To continue the conversation please get in touch at shareyourfeedback@colt.net.

9. "Colt"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England

I worked at Colt Technology Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Forward thinking company with good network

Cons

Senior management not aligned with common goals

Advice to Management

More teamwork and alignment at higher levels.

6 Nov 2018 – HR Manager

We appreciate all feedback so thanks for taking the time to post! If you'd like to add anything else please get in touch at shareyourfeedback@colt.net.

10. "Brilliant Company"

Current Employee - Contracted Services Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Contracted Services Manager in London, England

I have been working at Colt Technology Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New starter at Colt, but from the first phone call to offer me an interview, through the job offer and the on-boarding process, I cannot fault them.
    Quick response and organised. I was offered the role and immediately received the offer email.
    Have been made to feel valued and welcome from the first day and that all levels of Management are fully approachable.

Cons

Have not come across any so far.

10 Sep 2018 – HR Manager

It's great to read this feedback! We are really pleased your experience at Colt has been positive so far. Making sure our employees feel valued is extremely important to us. If you'd like to add... More