Cooper Lomaz Employee Reviews about "high staff turnover"

Updated 22 Sep 2020

3.4
Cooper Lomaz Joint Managing Director Charlotte Cooper & Jane Lovell
Charlotte Cooper & Jane Lovell
Pros
  • "I am currently in my forth week of working at Cooper Lomaz, so I am sure you will need to take this review with a pinch of salt(in 9 reviews)

• "I also like the entrepreneurial spirit and friendly working environment(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Very high staff turnover (more than any other company I have worked for or know of)(in 10 reviews)

• "There are no cons to working for Cooper Lomaz that I have seen yet(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "high staff turnover"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "The best recruitment agency in the area."

5.0

I have been working at Cooper Lomaz full-time

Pros

Progression - if you show hardwork and guts to keep going you will reap rewards. You just need to follow advice. The managers push you hard to get you promoted and get the best of your ability. Much better environment - all the idiots trouble makers, drug problems gone. Genuinely good bunch left, young managers that have some passion for business and care about Clr. Incentives - someone left due citing rubbish incentives. This is crazy! I'll take formula 1 tickets and latitude tickets and better kickers on the commission scheme above what other companies offer. Still love beer fridge on a Friday! Make deals and you'll make money

Cons

Tough markets / candidates are sparse and can be highs and lows but I guess that's just recruitment as an industry right now. Still too much turnover of staff but there's a new generation coming in who have flourished Still too focused on short term gains rather than long term strategy to keep clients happy. Pressure from top to deliver again and again may result in burnout. Bad reviews on here though are just laughable - ex staff with a grudge and trying to drag name through the mud. Most were found out / bone idle / troublemakers that couldn't take feedback and hated the previous regime and still take it out on the new generation!

Continue reading

"Please avoid at all costs!!!!!"

1.0
    Former Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in Norwich, England

I worked at Cooper Lomaz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to finish at 5 on a Friday Vitality health insurance

Cons

Poor CRM Poor management hierarchy Senior managers and HR team who are only still in the business as they know how things work (like the poor outdated, unfunctional CRM system High staff turnover, roughly 30/40 good people out the door since last September. Out with any half decent talent that made money for the business. New management team has taken the company close to financial ruin Give you 3-4 weeks to build a market; if not, you’re chucked onto something else Norwich office - got rid of the whole perm team, all decent billers, now left with nothing Bury, surviving based on old relationship Colchester - high wages and no billings but the most expensive management and recruitment team with no results. No loyalty, gave this company 2 years and then shoved out the door with no warning or hint you might be on the bullseye. No training, you start and get sat on a desk and then just never given training on the CRM. Don’t be fooled by “warm clients” or PSL’s, they have none, every company who has worked with them; won’t work again. Held together by a good team in bury but it won’t last with the poor management and lack of training on offer

Continue reading

"Bold claims - harsh reality"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Cooper Lomaz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of consultants that are still there are great people to work with.

Cons

Working here is an experience I can only describe as a total disappointment... To say I was sold a dream and delivered a nightmare is an understatement and I was truly sucked into the vortex of despair having been suckered in by bold claims that they are so much better and different to other agencies. My observations are: - Extremely high staff turnover about 20 people left or otherwise in a very short period of time - Lots of unhappy people at all levels within the business that are just waiting for the right opportunity to get out - Poor commission structure that only works in your favour if you’re billing over 10k a month which on a cold desk is almost impossible - I’d been told by many consultants that had been there for years they hadn’t made any commission in months - Micromanaging people to the point of extreme - Lack if internal communication - Lack of opportunity to truly progress - No investment into personal development - There are better agencies with a more stable workforce out there and companies recognise that so are reluctant to work with CL - Database is a relic it’s completely useless - Competing against agencies made up of ex Cooper Lomaz staff who are all hungry to take over the markets CL work in is pretty soul destroying as they’re pretty good at it! - Fluff up the benefits to sound amazing when in actual fact compared to other businesses are bang on average - Overall morale is lower than I’ve seen it anywhere else

February 24, 2020

Thank you for your feedback and we truly wish you all the best in the future. We're disappointed to hear the things you've mentioned above as we work hard to create an environment that supports people's growth and progression. We are a growing business that has high standards of the people that work for us - and in return, we reward well. However, we appreciate that recruitment isn't for everyone. We'd really welcome the opportunity to speak to you about your concerns - please feel free to get in touch at your convenience.

"Good for the average Recruiter in specific markets. Overall middling remuneration"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Norwich, England

I worked at Cooper Lomaz full-time for more than a year

Pros

The main pro are the people who work here. Personally I was only able to deal with the many cons due to the laughs i had in the office. Fantastic team fit within the office and the company are brilliant at giving you opportunities to socialise with work colleagues, which makes it easy to make friends within the company. The office has been recently refurbished, so it does feel like a social club after work. The quarterly incentives are fun, and everyone enjoys the ability to socialise with the other office. Short working hours for a recruitment company. This is a good company for a Consultant to learn a specialism, and then move on to a competitor to make the serious money. If you're happy making £20k -£30k for serious hard work, then this is the place for you. If you're replacing someone who left in IT or Engineering recently, then maybe you will start having some middling commission

Cons

Remuneration: The commission structure is bang on the bar average. The commission scheme is tailored to higher billers, but for a consultant who bills 200k in this company, they would anticipate £26,400 in commission compared to a minimum of 35k at one rival and 40k at another. The quarterly bonuses can add to this, but it’s rare to hit these and you would still be below the rivals should you hit one every quarter. There are ‘gym lunches’ (once per week an hour and half lunch) but this falls behind other agencies who give their staff a laptop and the opportunity to work from home once per week. Pension and other bonuses are weak. Incentives are moderate, but nothing is truly motivating due to (what looks like) lack of profit. Management: They constantly ask for feedback but do not have the ability to implement huge change which the employees want. You can add a pool table and a dart board, but if we are money motivated that’s not changing our careers or the money we are taking home. This company works better with salesman who want to slam call every client and candidate. I feel people who really want to make money and learn their market are not giving the opportunity to work how they feel will make them money. Hugely KPI driven environment, they will spec CV’s to clients just to achieve numbers. Expect an hour or two in a meeting room each day away from what makes you money so that managers can feel busy. Only agency I’ve seen with non-billing team leaders. Turnover of staff: The week I joined two people left. People were leaving faster then they could hire them. Every individual they hired has already been turned down by their two biggest rivals, which shows the quality that comes through the door. History: The previous Senior Managers left two years ago. Both set up their own agencies, they now dominate the IT and Engineering markets (Coopers two biggest markets). The whole company (lead from the front) will instantly be malicious to the majority of Consultants that leave. Mindset of the business: This company will push you to sign terms of business without fully understanding the client or if it’s worth a consultants time to work roles. Everything is speculative CV or cold call. Their ‘A’ clients are not billed enough to be classed a ‘B’ client for many other agencies. Hugely SME based client base with very low margin terms of business from legacy consultants.

January 11, 2018Managing Director

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a details piece of feedback

"The 1980s are back in business!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Bury St Edmunds, England

I worked at Cooper Lomaz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonable commission at the top end Some really good consultants

Cons

Very KPI driven 1980s sales approach - very pushy - bad service Lack of integrity/ethics and morals Very high staff turnover (more than any other company I have worked for or know of) Bad work life balance Dictatorial senior management Constant meetings

November 3, 2017Managing Director

Thank you for you feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to anonymously feedback to us through Glassdoor. We can’t decide whether to take the 1980’s reference as a positive or negative though?! Whilst it’s fair to say we are a business formed out of the 1980’s. For example did you know Cooper Lomaz Recruitment was formed in 1990? This makes us one of the longest running privately owned recruitment businesses operating across the East of England. Something we are very proud of! Thanks for highlighting our commission scheme as a positive, we are currently reviewing this as we do each year and therefore your feedback will help that. We must however take issue with your staff turnover reference. Even in the 80’s you could not just make things up surely? Staff turnover in the Bury St Edmunds office where you have stated as your place of work was is currently below 20% for 2017. Whilst we acknowledge we can always do better we think this is a positive step forward. We are after all currently running at half the average UK recruitment attrition statistic for that office, which is not that bad surely? Thanks again for your feedback. We are now off to see if we can dig out some red braces!

"Some good...mostly bad."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Norwich, England

I have been working at Cooper Lomaz full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Modern office - Beer fridge on a Friday (if the business hit budget for the week) - Good incentives (if you can on get them)

Cons

- Very high staff turnover, with way too many experienced (and consistently billing Consultants) leaving. - Not enough training for new starters - Lack of Managers who have a proven record of high billing - those who are managing adopt a "one size fits all" approach which clearly doesn't work and if anything, p*sses the majority of people off. - Excessive and constant need to have meetings (up to 5 times a day) for no real reason. - Below average commission structure compared to other agencies in the area. - Different salaries between Consultants with the same amount of experience, doing a similar markets. - Too much micro-management and almost no autonomy to be able to manage your desk how you want to.

Continue reading

"Horrendous Management - Avoid"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Bury St Edmunds, England

I have been working at Cooper Lomaz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is well known (for good or bad). Some bright people in the company (though are leaving at a rapid rate). Good staff benefits.

Cons

Where to start? Echoing the last review, the company was built from a solid foundation that was led from the front by the joint CEO's. It was a great place to work with quality, engaged staff who wanted to 'be the best'. The dramatic downturn started about a year ago. A particular individual has treated the company as their own personal fiefdom, ruling with a rod of iron which has created a culture of fear that only North Korea could admire. An extremely hostile & volatile person, this character lurches from one abysmal decision to the next (and then switching back again) alienating vast swathes of the workforce. One wonders if their references and former track record were ever put under complete scrutiny? This has resulted in nearly all the top performers jumping ship to two new competitors that were set up by former Cooper Lomaz employees, both of which have decimated the company revenues simply by doing the things that Cooper Lomaz used to be good at: Keeping staff motivated, simple yet good commission schemes, quality training and most importantly, inspirational leadership. Massive staff turnover is understandable, 7 have gone already this year and we're only in mid-Feb. As things stand things are looking very uncertain with zero stability. Also to note, the former reviews "Brilliant work place" and "Accurate Review" look to me like they were clearly written by the management team.

March 7, 2017Digital Marketing Executive

Wow! This is quite an extraordinary piece of rhetoric! We've never been compared to North Korea before! Last time I checked we were an ordinary recruitment business doing our jobs and having the occasional pizza and beer together. I certainly haven't seen any intercontinental missiles being launched from the roof of our Norwich office and we're not dispatching attractive female assassins to far flung airports to poison the top performing defectors you mention! In fact we wish them well. We're proud to have been able to give them their start in recruitment and proud to see what they've gone on to accomplish. We're also proud of what we're accomplishing too. We've got a strong team of four directors who work closely together to make key decisions. We've got a broad management team who work really hard to make this a great place to work and we've got some fantastic staff who love being here and want to deliver great results for our clients and candidates. Clearly you didn't agree with a decision we made and you decided to leave. That's ok - thankfully this is a free country not a dictatorship! All the best with your new job!

"Demanding"

I worked at Cooper Lomaz

Pros

Good training programme for new starters. Well established within market place Good benefits package

Cons

Targets Unrealistic Bonus structure make ote unachievable High staff turnover Lack of support Unresponsive to new ideas

February 1, 2016Digital Marketing Executive

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We're working hard to learn from the mistakes we made last year and make this a great place to work again. We haven't got everything sorted yet but staff turnover has dramatically reduced over the last 4 months and morale has massively improved.

"Churn, churn, churn"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Norwich, England

I worked at Cooper Lomaz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The office was smartly decorated, wages were never late.

Cons

No real career progression is available at Cooper Lomaz, although I was promised this (and everything else under the sun at interview.) Living off a basic wage is a real struggle, if you do not get a favorable market ( 9 /10 don not) you have no realistic chance of making money. The reputation of the company was once strong, that is no longer the case due to bad leadership, wrong hires, ridiculous internal politics, failed market ventures (subsea & scientific spring to mind.) Everything is done on the cheap, no training is provided, no senior staff are left to learn off. There is no smoke without fire, for a local agency, the staff turnover they have had is incredibly high (check linkedin for former employees). The 'social media' backlash actually came from a client - this says a lot about the modern day Cooper Lomaz.

February 1, 2016Digital Marketing Executive

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, we welcome all feedback and are keen to take any comments on board. I’m sorry that you found your time here less than positive. We recognize we made some mistakes last year and we’re keen to rectify them. Over the last several months we have worked hard to grow Cooper Lomaz in an organic healthy way, just as you suggested. We now have a strong management team in place and the joint CEOs Jane and Charlotte are much more involved in the business day to day. We have adopted a more cautious measured approach to growth and are focussing on doing more in our existing markets and geographic areas. We also want to improve the training we provide new starters and are currently recruiting a Training Manager to head up a brand new academy which we will launch in 2016. We promoted 14 members of our staff last year and are committed to developing our employee’s careers. Whilst we are keen to continue to grow as a business, our staff’s happiness is the first priority and we are making sure any comments or issues employees may have are heard.

10. "Dynamic and exciting"

5.0

I have been working at Cooper Lomaz full-time

Pros

Fast paced with really good rewards if you are up to the task. Fun, hard working environment. Great spirit of competition combined with team spirit. Lots of great long term players. Established career structure within the company.

Cons

Quite high turnover of staff, but that is almost entirely due to very convincing salespeople from outside of recruitment coming in not really understanding what a quality driven complex job it really is.

Viewing 1 - 9 of 10 English Reviews