Costco Wholesale Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 22 February 2017
3,446 reviews

Full-time Part-time

3,446 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Significantly above average pay and benefits for retail (in 280 reviews)

• Overall a great company great benefits (in 520 reviews)

Cons
  • It's very hard to get a full time position even for employees that have been with the company for more than 5 years (in 174 reviews)

• Only part time til something full time opens up (in 152 reviews)

"Bad management"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Hayes, England
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Hayes, England

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ok pay, ok training, good breaks

Cons

Too many bosses all telling you to do something different at the same time so nothing gets done and then all you get is a serious telling off or sacked! Also everything has to be millimetre perfect or you get bollocked. High staff turnover as management are nasty uncaring and only care about pleasing the queen of the company.

Advice to Management

Become humane. Organise a chain of command and stop being scared to lose you own job by being nasty to your staff.

"abyssmal"

Pros

wages and bonus nothing else at all

Cons

everything. never worked with a bigger bunch of fickle, backstabbing people in all my life.

Advice to Management

they don't take advice unless its from one of their favourites

3. "company is very demanding and try to achive work with minimum number of employees and try to bully staff into doing."

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good salary and long term employment.

Cons

bullying managers , no proper PPE for workers ,with more than 6 to 7 forklifts operating on the floor staff is not encouraged to wear safety boots .forklift drivers are not trained by accredited trainers , threat of suspension and dissmissals for minor mistakes ,no training provided.

Advice to Management

get proper mamagement staff who know how to treat staff with respect.

5. "Management capability"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are a fast growing company. They have many senior managers who love the company. They are remunerated well and extremely loyal.

Cons

Sadly the same cannot be said about their abilities is respect of the lower graded staff. Team meetings are lacking. Review dates come and go without being held. A number of staff are still to complete their end of probation reviews. The HR guidelines and HR don't seem to really count for much.

Advice to Management

Invest in sound people management practices and ensure they are implemented.

"It was ok at first then the warehouse opened, the true colours started to show. Disorganised chaotic."

I worked at Costco Wholesale (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay very well and have company and staff activities

Cons

Thrown all over the place. You forget what you actually do. Awkward shifts.

Advice to Management

Create Job Descripritions. Follow the handbook which you highly refer to but dont practice its codes and values.

7. "Costco UK- Great beginning but going downhill fast"

Current Employee - Service Deli Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Service Deli Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good wage & some good benefits compared to similar jobs elsewhere.
    Good bonus (once you manage to reach top rate)

Cons

Low staff morale.
    Lack of training.
    Blatant favouritism.

When I first came to costco (nearly 4 years ago now) The company was about putting customers first, keeping staff happy and making a profit (it is a business after all)
    But since the new CEO took over I have noticed a change that is making the job become unbearable. It is all about profit, profit, PROFIT.

Staff do not matter whatsoever.
    I now see managers becoming bullies, no matter how hard you work it's never good enough.You are made to feel worthless and sometimes stupid.
    Incompetent people being made supervisors (but if you're pretty it doesn't matter)
    Managers that are getting away with murder, but there are no consequences for them.
    High levels of favouritism.

I now feel sorry for people on top rate, as they must wake up everyday thinking will I be moved today.
    I once aimed to become a supervisor, but I was not willing to be the "fall guy" or to cover peoples backs when they have made mistakes. I was also not willing to flirt or do more to get ahead (as a lot of people have)
    I see people working so hard for costco, going above and beyond, but they don't even get a thank you. But the moment you make a slight mistake, they are all over you.
    In my department now, 80% of people want to leave. But it is hard when no job at that skill level will pay the same rate.
    I used to go in looking forward to the working day, now on my days off I dread going in. And once I'm there I can't wait to leave.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your staff.
    Respect your staff.
    Reward people for hard work (the employee off the month board is just full of managers favourites)
    Train your staff (including supervisors)
    I think you need to focus on UK stores as majority of negative comments are from here. I have heard the current new stores are not doing as well as predicted and I am not at all surprised.

8. "Great business model from america. But has somewhat lost it's virtues in the uk. Great benefits but staff morale in alot of stores are terrible."

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant)
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant)

I worked at Costco Wholesale (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Wages
    Growing business
    Job security
    Great place to work if you like fast paced environment

Cons

Lack of training
    Poor management
    Middle management suffering most in the company.
    Bullish tactics
    Lack of progression if your face don't fit.

Advice to Management

Listen to some staff

9. "work hard do not get noticed,make a mistake get noticed"

Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England
    Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

if you can go with the flow, willing to be a yes person you will servive

Cons

a lazy employee who has got through his 90 day will end up earning as much as the rest of employees who do,do the work and carry this company forward.

Advice to Management

open your eyes,practise what you preach.you have managers no one wants to work for,once known. and yet you love them.dear Darren Wishard such a nice man ,cant understand what your staff and others have against you.???

"Costco wholesale UK management shambles"

Former Employee - Various Roles in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Various Roles in Leeds, England

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay for unskilled workers. Annual optical voucher. Good bonus

Cons

Don't get rota until week before. Expected to be available 4am to10pm. The biggest issue at Costco is the management. I worked for Costco for 15 years and saw the quality of the store managers and head office managers slowly decline. Started off with a good manager who realised that the staff made the store and ended up with a manager who wouldn't even speak to some staff. I noticed a culture of favouritism, if your face fit you were ok. The last manager I had at Leeds actively sought to dismiss staff on a higher wage and employ someone new to save payroll. He deliberately set out to make life difficult for staff who challenged him on his dubious decisions. This was rife and led to some very suspicious interpretations of the Costco handbook. With regards to the handbook, most managers treat this as a weapon to be used against staff and it is not worth the paper it is printed on. Managers routinely don't follow it if it isn't in their interests and interpret it as they see fit to suit themselves.

Head office staff are not much better. The senior management will back up a store manager regardless of the situation. They also believe that they are right, to the point where they will ignore the law! I was due in to a disciplinary meeting regarding sickness and requested it be rescheduled due to health. This was flatly denied and I was told the meeting would go ahead if I was there or not. This is in direct contravention of employment law as published by Acas. When I pointed this out to the HR, training and development manager at head office. He stated that this wasn't covered in the handbook and therefore didn't apply! He then backed up the managers statement and added that he was coming up the meeting from Watford and didn't want the hassle of rearranging.

There are a lot of problems with the management, who don't follow all the rules and they know it. I witnessed a senior manager arguing with a member of staff. The staff member walked off and the manager tried to run him over with a forklift truck! When a complaint was made to the store manager, he pulled the staff member to one side and told him that if he continued with this complaint, the store manager would personally see to it that 'his career would be over'! I was also warned off giving any witness statement if asked for one. 'We will not accept a witness statement that doesn't say you saw nothing'. That's not me paraphrasing! These are direct quotes that I witnessed.

A motivational speech by the admin director that I heard sums up senior managements feelings and opinions of hourly staff. 'If you aren't happy here or don't like the way the business is run, that's fine. Please feel free to look elsewhere. But bear in mind Costco pay the best and you won't get anything like the wage you get now at our competitors.' - Nice!!!

If your face fits, great. If you hourly wage is maxed out, watch yourself. If you don't want to become a target, keep your head down and your mouth shut. Do not question or challenge store management, otherwise that will be your card marked for your whole time there. Don't bother escalating to head office as they will ALWAYS back up the manager. Do seek advice if you are in a disciplinary situation as Costco UK (rather arrogantly) do not adhere to UK employment law. They believe the handbook supersedes the law!

Advice to Management

Retrain managers and Head office managers. Value your staff, realise they are your greatest asset, not a liability to be managed out of the business.

"Great if you want job security, not so great if you have any personal career aspirations"

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cash rich company due to international stature so not likely to close down anytime soon. Generally, the company does not make people redundant. Medical and pension package for middle managers and above.

Cons

No career prospects unless your "face fits". You could be doing the same job for 15 years without any gratitude from the management. The company does not believe in rewarding its employees or the staff morale. There are no formalised training procedures; and you will only learn something if you are lucky enough to have a clued up manager. No promotional opportunities unless you are happy to be a "yes sir, no sir 3 bags full sir" employee. The general attitude of the management team is that we give you a Christmas party and a £25 gift voucher to spend in store. This should suffice to keep you motivated through the year! Also, no structure to the very weak HR team, who are unfortunately completely biased in their opinions. Real shame as the company's business model means it has real potential to be one of the leading employers in the UK, only if the management decide get off their metaphorical "high horse".

Advice to Management

Practice what you actually preach in the code of ethics. Look after your employees and the company will look after itself. Empowering staff is the most effective management tool and all successful businesses have LISTENED to their employees. You have some very competent and business savvy people in the business who are not getting the opportunity of promotion, due to your blinkered approach. Get rid of the unfair pay structure between the 3 levels of employees as the middle management are the ones suffering. Don't promote roles to suggest that the employee will gave plenty of growth opportunities, they don't. At least that way there will be no false expectations. Have a "grade" system so employees can work their way up the ladder rather than having to wait until their manager gets pregnant, leaves or retires. Your are not offering any exceptional benefits that are not already offered by the competitors.

Showing 3,446 of 3,522 reviews