Cotswold Company Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2022

Found 43 of over 44 reviews

4.1
Cotswold Company CEO Kevin Johnson (no image)
Kevin Johnson
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love working here

Jun 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is genuinely lovely and super supportive. We all pull together when needed and the drive to make the business the best it can be is evident in the people around you here. It doesn't feel like a big corporate machine which means people at all levels are really approachable and you get to be involved in things you just wouldn't get a chance to do if you were in a bigger company. I genuinely wouldn't want to work anywhere else!

Cons

Whilst it can be a challenging and fast paced work, the opportunities to get involved in new and exciting things and the great people I work with outweigh the occasional late nights

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Passionate company with strong family feel

Jul 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Growing and passionate company. Great staff across all areas of the business who work well together to problem solve and develop for the future. Competitive salaries. Not afraid to recognise when things need to change and invest to improve Flexible hybrid working allows for better work/life balance. Strong focus on employee well-being through actions and not just words.

Cons

Can be guilty of trying to do too much too quickly - be mindful of workloads and plan/resource accordingly to ensure success. Continue work on improving benefits package to remain competitive in the market.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Good work

Jun 9, 2022 - Team Leader
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work hours for full time

Cons

Staff shortage, some managers not so good.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A great place to develop and grow

May 29, 2022 - Senior Manager in Norwich, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunities to be exposed to all aspects of a successful business Senior Management believe in the goals of the business Good level of transparency of business performance and aims Colleagues and management care about their staff, good culture High level of communication from Exec team

Cons

Like most e-commerce businesses in the current climate there is a lot of change and the pace of the business can be tough at times

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fabulous company to work for

May 26, 2022 - Head Office Employee in Norwich, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great supportive culture, very visible and approachable senior leadership team and Board. Flexible approach to working, hybrid working for non retail roles, very good benefits package, including amazing discounts, great learning and development opportunities. Diverse job opportunities across many areas including IT, marketing, merchandising, HR, contact centre, retail showrooms and outlets etc.

Cons

None that I know of or have identified yet. I am used to undertaking ad hoc projects and consultancy roles and when asked if I would stay with the company following a short term assignment I knew that I wouldn’t find such a supportive, welcoming and team orientated culture anywhere else and accepted a permanent position.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Easily the best company I have ever worked for

May 24, 2022 - Sales Team Leader in Lincoln, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The Cotswold Company are easily the best company I have every worked for. The amount of support we receive is fantastic and everyone is very friendly and welcoming. There is plenty of progression opportunity as I gained a promotion into a higher role after just 6 weeks with the company.

Cons

I live far away from the office so don't get to see people in person much but that was my choice as I really wanted to work for the company

7. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company

May 15, 2022 - Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working, great product, kind people

Cons

None I’ve seen in current role

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

I only have time consumed by this company on my CV - nothing of added value.

May 23, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Norwich, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The office looks swish, but (something about polishing a - ?) The ‘perks’ of fruit, pastries, or a bottle of bud if you want it on a Friday ^This could be considered no different to throwing a handful of corn to caged hens. The input doesn’t quite equate to the output being given. But if the workers have blinkers on its fine. Its fine. This is a perk, right?

Cons

Cons The new CEO Ralph Tucker writing a 5* review titled “Great Company”? This is indicative of the mentality of this level of Management, manipulating the bias. I trust readers see through this. Favouritism Low pay No thank yous __ I invested over two years here and I am glad I took the leap to leave. There is literally nothing for loyalty here. (pay reviews, promotions, professional development support). I’ve just got time consumed by this company on my CV, nothing of added value. There’s a worrying rise in frequency of bullying by management. A nasty band of managers across various departments – all backing themselves up. You cannot complain to HR (sorry, People Team) they are no better and bully within their own team. …If you don’t have a HR Department who are guided by ethics and have good morals, who are approachable and empathetic, who are supportive – I’m not sure what the point is. There’s always the legal stuff like employment contracts – but since mine had an error (granted in my favour), I’d suggest you check over your contract thoroughly. There has got to be something they’re good at, but I did not see what it was during my time there. As a potential employee, the first department you will deal with will be the People Team, so remember that. _ In your daily working life you can expect to see decisions being made by directors that have very little thought about the implications of the extra work being created to those at ground level. It will be continual firefighting for you as a result of those decisions, rather than a controlled exercise. You’ll end up feeling like you’re juggling your workload – just helping your team to keep afloat for the next ‘all hands on deck’ emergency. The frequency of those is all too often considering recruitment is low, there’s too much work per person across most departments. You will feel exceptionally underappreciated and underpaid for all the work being bandied about unnecessarily. If you can handle that, awesome. Don't forget to leave your job satisfaction at the door too, remember there’s no career progression for the likes of you here. The company is trying to grow fast, but cutting corners in doing so - to the detriment of its staff. Meanwhile the ringleaders are all patting each other on the back for the same. Staff morale could not be lower. The wages are not in line with national average, particularly if remote working. (pay rises are not good enough.) Staff turnover could not be higher. It’s a toxic work environment. But then its not my circus.

8 people found this review helpful

Cotswold Company Response

Firstly I am really sorry to hear you feel so strongly about your time here however I think its important to make sure the facts are correct as I think there has been some confusion: We have recently increased our pay to the Real Living Wage and in most cases this is above that figure. We made this change as we appreciate the cost in living is challenging for our colleagues and we also wanted to show that we value the work and commitment they give us. Our staff turnover rate is consistently low, sitting at under a 4% average over a 12 month period. We have also seen a great response to our staff survey with 90% of those who responded (82% of employees) were happy and satisfied at work. As always we would welcome a conversation with you directly to try and understand your grievances better so please do contact us directly should you wish to. Hannah - Head of People

9. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Glassdoor?....More like Glass Ceiling - A Toxic Mentality Throughout

May 11, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you like: being underpaid, not having a voice, not feeling supported, not feeling valued, not enjoying your job, not being rewarded for exceeding expectations continuously, not having a clear growth path, not being part of the 'inner circle' & awkward company-wide morning calls...YOU'LL LOVE IT HERE.

Cons

The word Family is banded around in abundance within this 'local Cotswold company'. From the CEO + Directors to store staff, you are told you are a part of a bigger family for the importance of ' the company '. We all drive towards the same thing, we are all as important as one another....However, its not quite as it seems. This disorganized company hides behind the family branding they crave so much, in a desperate attempt to hide the unhappiness of their staff & their genuine reliance on foreign imported furniture. The most unfortunate part of this is that it all stems from utterly abysmal communication from the top down. A CEO who simply cannot forecast and key directors who bicker over power are what truly impact the success of this import-reliant retail 'giant'. It's not the ones at the top who see the impacts of this amateur business management though... it's the people who are paid a fraction of what the market dictates they are worth and their families....their REAL FAMILIES. Your best bet is to get into an interview and ask for whatever salary you think you're worth because GIRL..you ain't getting no raise. So how do family treat their loved ones...their most loyal members?.. Not only do they struggle to offer real promotions to staff (even managers), but they pay higher salaries to oncoming employees in a bid to 'acquire the best talent' instead of retaining it. The only way to get yourself the promotion you want here - is to LEAVE. Overall, You'd be lucky asking for anything from this HR team, laziness is what to expect. I would be asking for retention rates and the last 2 years of employee satisfaction surveys on my first interview.. The work you do isn't overly rewarding either, from the unhappiest customers I've ever met, to some of the most misleading advertising I've seen, to the most obvious creative copy and paste from their rivals, Neptune. This is not a brand that looks like it's going to stay around for the ages. It's an eCommerce company that firefights daily and lacks a vision for sustainable longevity. Where does the money go?.... An abundance of non-recyclable packaging, extremely high external agency costs (due to how hard they are to work with), an overpaid management team & recruitment costs for new employees who lack the skills current employees possess. Where does the money not go? their employees. My overall advice is this, go there if you want to learn how to appreciate your next job or if you want some employee discount (you'll get a better deal in the outlet). But don't go there for a career..go and be ambitious and use your talents somewhere they will be appreciated and VALUED. As my headline states, this company is not good for your growth, progression, or personal success. There is a glass ceiling that will never move because there are too many overpaid people standing on it. ....and in case you're optimistic that it's changed...it hasn't.

9 people found this review helpful

Cotswold Company Response

Thank you for your feedback. We always strive to make The Cotswold Company a great place to work, where people feel valued and happy. We are genuinely sorry to hear that you do not feel that way and we welcome an opportunity to speak to you directly if you feel able to, so that we can better understand your concerns and experiences. Please do get in touch with Ralph or I if you would like to talk it through. Hannah - Head of People

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Changing for the better?

Apr 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

the people make the job

Cons

not being heard. Starting to feel les and less like family.

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 43 Reviews

Cotswold Company Reviews FAQs

Cotswold Company has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 44 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at Cotswold Company to a friend and 70% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 13% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Cotswold Company employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Cotswold Company. This rating has improved by 7% over the last 12 months.

75% of Cotswold Company employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Cotswold Company 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.5 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Cotswold Company to be benefits, coworkers, career development and the cons to be compensation, management, culture.

Popular Careers with Cotswold Company Job Seekers