Covance Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Covance CEO John Ratliff
John Ratliff
Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance could be better(in 90 reviews)

• "Merger with labcorp caused company to loose some incentives and benefits such tuition reimbursement(in 53 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Forward thinking, good work/life balance"

Current Employee - Director in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Covance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Consulting work focuses on strategy, exceptional and smart colleagues, collaborative, work from home allows flexibility

Cons

None right at the moment.

Covance2019-03-09
  2. "Great atmosphere"

I have been working at Covance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everybody here is so friendly and welcoming the job is rewarding and you get good support

Cons

Low salary so frequent turnover of staff and reduces moral as constantly discussed

Advice to Management

Increase salaries for ground level workers

Covance2019-03-16
  3. "Great work experience"

Former Employee - Proposal Associate in Leeds, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Covance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Can be a great place to build up experience. People are generally more helpful than not.

Cons

Salary could be more reflective of industry standards for roles.

Advice to Management

Focus on the people and help nurture and grow as they are the lifeline of the business.

Covance2019-09-12
  4. "Good for Entry Job"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Harrogate, England

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people. Good entry experience. Job security.

Cons

Progression is slow. Workload high. Rescources limited.

Covance2019-08-23

"Not a great time to be at Covance, with very little chance of improvement any time soon"

Current Employee - Senior Project/Program Manager in London, England

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility - working from home Operational-level staff are FANTASTIC It used to be such a great company under previous leaders, hopefully it will get back to where it was one day...

Cons

I’m normally a very positive person, but motivation is extremely low at the moment People are leaving in huge numbers, putting enormous amounts of pressure on current staff, yet Covance is not recruiting to replace them because senior management’s spreadsheets tell them everything is fine. We are drowning under their work. Meanwhile, almost no one from Chiltern is left and now Covance legacy staff are fleeing... too We are all exhausted, cranky, demotivated, but there is no plan whatsoever to improve things. Meanwhile there are a million small injustices - legacy ECD/II-IV/Chiltern staff do the same job with completely different benefit packages. If we ask for the same benefits we’re told we can’t have them because we belong to a certain legacy group. They also tell us not to mention the legacy group since it doesn’t exist anymore

Advice to Management

Look up from your spreadsheets and actually listen to real people. Everything is not fine. Covance will never get more sales if staff are too exhausted to deliver for the clients we already have.

Covance2019-08-04
  6. "Senior Proposal Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Proposal Associate in Harrogate, England

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable employment, decent colleagues, good location

Cons

Limited career prospects despite this being pushed.

Covance2019-07-19
  7. "Covance Labs"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Leeds, England

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and the odd perk.

Cons

Can be cliquey from a management perspective, promotions handed to people who's face fits rather than the best person for the job.

Advice to Management

None

Covance2019-07-18

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Research Technician in Leeds, England

I worked at Covance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was okay I guess

Cons

They hired their own sons and daughters who didn't even have degrees. We worked on patients who were in the clinical on paid trials and I watched another research tech google a trial volunteers name to find them on social media so that she could stalk them... It was not very professional at all.

Advice to Management

Discipline your staff better. It is not a very professional environment.

Covance2019-08-01

"Nothing more than a stepping stone"

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in London, England

I worked at Covance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pros include the flexibility, I was able to work from home and have never had an issue when I needed to rearrange my schedule or take off time. The experience and diversity of clients and co-workers is a plus.

Cons

Used to be a great job now it’s nothing more than a great reference as you look for a new one. Salary is very low compared to other CROs (large and small). Hard work and performance is not rewarded and management is completely out of touch. The biggest con is also the outsourcing they now do with Bangalore, allowing staff in EU & US locations to be laid off and replaced by much lower paid staff in India.... Covance has turned into another greedy corporation looking for the cheapest labor and highest return, no matter who they screw over (employees and clients). It used to be enjoyable but prior to leaving the workload had become totally unreasonable. There was no emphasis on work life balance. Its all about profit. Horrible and unorganised management, terrible leadership and training provided is non existent, no seriously, NON EXISTENT. Very big on blaming staff members instead of working as a team and totally geared towards blame culture, heck there were processes in place totally geared towards blaming an individual. There was a lack of development and communication between management. Do you have little or no technical IT knowledge? Do you value pedantic adherence to policies and processes over tangible results? Are you happy to fire long serving, competent staff, if cheap offshore resources can be found? Do you thrive in a toxic, political, blame driven environment? Will you blindly agree with everything your managers say? Will you support IT leadership in the removal of any employees that dare to seek flexible working arrangements? If you can answer yes to all of these questions then Covance will be a great place for you to work. If you value trust, honesty, openness, and results then this will definitely not be the place for you. If you are in an eastern European location, that was once perceived to be low cost, watch out. Your ‘leaders’ have identified that India is cheaper. Layoffs will be coming to an office near you soon.

Advice to Management

Please read my cons section, you’ve been exposed.

Covance2019-07-25

"Management are working in a completely different company to the rest of us."

Former Employee - Programmer in Maidenhead, England

I worked at Covance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Near my home. Nice office. Nice staff restaurant.

Cons

Management congratulate themselves at the quarterly meetings while ignoring what the people who do the real work are telling them. Employee engagement questionnaires are skewed towards what management want to hear. There is no communication. Changes applied with no consideration. It's almost like the company is being run so EU staff will leave, to be replaced by those in India, no doubt. Awful company, poor pay..., crappy prospects, unless you're a man, it would seem.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. I mean REALLY LISTEN. THEY KNOW. YOU DON'T.

Covance2019-07-22