Crime Reduction Initiatives Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

David Biddle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Could do better"

I have been working at Crime Reduction Initiatives part-time

Pros

Comitted to trying to maintain service

Cons

Unable to mitigate effects of austerity on clients and workforce due to contract cost envelope reduction

Advice to Management

Go back to funders, take the side of the workforce and clients to get a better deal

2. "Worst place I've worked in the charity sector"

Former Employee - Various in London, England
    Former Employee - Various in London, England

I worked at Crime Reduction Initiatives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary
    I was able to work as I wanted, because there was no-one more senior than me who knew how to do my job

Cons

No compassion for employees - up to a certain pay grade everyone is viewed as disposable
    Sexist and old-school in approach, especially in the upper rungs
    Too busy jumping through commissioner hoops to be concerned with quality of service
    Feels like public/private sector, not a charity
    Some very poor leaders in supposed leadership positions
    Constant chopping and changing means no-one knows what they're doing
    Treat service users like naughty children at times

Advice to Management

Diversify your management - it's all white blokes at the top. Treat your junior staff the way you'd like to be treated - nourish and grow them. Stop undercutting costs in order to win bids - that way you won't always be firefighting.

"OMG absolutely awful!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Luton, East of England, England

I worked at Crime Reduction Initiatives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the privilege to work with highly experienced and dedicated staff. No pros about company.

Cons

Absolutely No regard for staff.we were tuped over and the process was insensitive and harsh. Treated like cattle And robots. I stayed for 4 weeks and left. Ridiculous caseload, without adequate training. I am still in shock! God help the clients...recording everything but doing little. It was like a call centre. Job match poor. People not valued and acknowledged for their wealth of experience. Them and us culture. So very sad! Concern over safety for clients and staff.

Advice to Management

Staff are people too. You could learn a lot by being transparent prior and ongoing! We are not stupid. Drip feeding intelligent people??? Old school management style dated!!! Don't give lip service it's patronising. You got the service on the cheap and that's what the clients are getting. You do not discuss personal issues with clients in a Costa??. You took over a service and you are NOT adequately providing it. You act like salesmen...disgraceful. commissioning disgraceful. The process and service did not have to be like this.

"difficult compromises"

Former Employee - Project Worker in London, England
    Former Employee - Project Worker in London, England

I worked at Crime Reduction Initiatives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

a diverse workforce - people in my team came from all walks of life

Cons

the basis on which we were winning contracts meant that we couldn't really care for clients

Advice to Management

your business model creates huge tensions

"Wouldn't go back for all the money in the world."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

They don't fire people. Which is great if you're incompetent but want a job for life.
    Honestly, I can't think of much else.

Cons

Social care charity that doesn't actually care about people - service users or its own
    Lack of transparency from management at all levels
    Top-down decision making with no staff consultation (though lots of lip service)
    Unable to prioritise spending effectively
    Nepotism is rife
    Treat all staff below Project Manager level as replaceable and worthless
    Wouldn't know a competency-based interview from a shoe

Advice to Management

Start acting like a charity, learn from leaders in the sector. You're called Change Grow Live; follow your own advice.

"Nepotism and mediocrity rule"

I have been working at Crime Reduction Initiatives full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some genuinely dedicated, talented and compassionate frontline and clinical staff who truly care about the vulnerable people they support. Also doors. All the offices are thankfully equipped with doors that you can use to leave.

Cons

HR department that takes pride in being incompetent and getting others to do their work. Senior managers that excel in going to meetings, ruffling their hair, acting stressed and rushing around firefighting "incidents" and "emergencies". Oh and giving each other promotions and pay rises, whilst demonising the Union who have been fighting in vain for a 1% cost of living rise for the staff (who are gradually being replaced with volunteers at every opportunity anyway). Blatant jobs for the boys. And lots of pointless bods in central departments. Nobody is quite sure what they do or what they are for. Meanwhile frontline jobs and salaries are being cut due to "budgetary pressures". Constant disciplinaries of staff to rival the Spanish inquisition. Make no mistake, there is very little about this place that's charitable these days - it is very profit driven and corporate, just without any of the perks or infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Please just stop and think about what you are doing to this organisation. It used to be great. And don't be so obvious when you slope off to the pub at 4 pm.

"Under-valued and demoralised!"

Current Employee - Recovery Worker in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Recovery Worker in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Crime Reduction Initiatives full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and clients are the only reason I keep going in to work. Can't really think of any other pros to working here!

Cons

Management seem to have little experience (all appear to be about 12!!)
    Treated like children or conveyor belt robots.
    Tuped over and then changed terms.
    Management - do as I say not as I do. Swan in and out when they feel like it.
    Poor leadership.
    Left feeling anxious and demoralised.
    Feel like you're been watched over all the time.
    High caseloads to 'manage' although having lots of other roles make you feel like you do not get quality time with service users.

Advice to Management

Read the above (cons)

"Love working for CRI"

Current Employee - Engagement Worker in Taunton, England
    Current Employee - Engagement Worker in Taunton, England

I have been working at Crime Reduction Initiatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transparency - we're always told what is happening.
    Training - encouraged to develop our skills.
    I feel that CRI is service user focused.
    Pay and conditions are good.

Cons

Targets - but I don't think it is the fault of the organisation it is the way the caring industry is going due to government requirements/legislation.

Advice to Management

Please feed back staff concerns about having to focus on targets more than care for service users to commissioners and Public Health England

"Lack of leadership"

I have been working at Crime Reduction Initiatives full-time

Pros

New ideas and shared knowledge from staff who are TUPE'd in

Cons

Lack of efficient central services, company has grown too fast and cannot keep up with implementing new services while achieving with existing ones. Senior managers moved around to firefight the latest crisis.

Advice to Management

Stop bidding for new services until the services currently running are providing quality to service users

"TUPE"

I have been working at Crime Reduction Initiatives full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If they ever lived up to their promises it would have some pros

Cons

Lack of infrastructure. Grew too fast and senior managers move from project to project when they begin to fail. Broken promises from Tupe including changing pay scales with a blatant disregard for law and a poor hr department . Clinical staff all leaving to return to NHS.

Advice to Management

Listen to the expertise and experience of staff who have joined you rather than assuming you know better.