Cundall Reviews

Updated 9 Apr 2021

3.8
Cundall Managing Partner Tomas Neeson
Tomas Neeson
Pros
  • "Good working environment and the employers have a sense of unity(in 12 reviews)

• "Had a few late nights but work life balance good(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "And you have to pay for entry if you want to attend any company social events(in 3 reviews)

• "Bullies are overlooked by HR because they have been there longer(in 2 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work

26 Feb 2021 - Engineer in Birmingham, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Ethical company that really tries hard

Cons

They dont generally employ quantity surveyors

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good

25 Mar 2021 - Engineering Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The training is quite good

Cons

The pay is not competitive.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Why is over-resourcing the norm?

22 Feb 2021 - Principal Engineer in Edinburgh, Scotland, Scotland
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some really great colleagues to work with

Cons

Presumed overtime - feels constant so you really need to push back on setting boundaries for work life balance

4. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good place to learn

22 Jan 2021 - Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to learn and develop

Cons

Salaries are below industry average

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

could do better

10 Jul 2020 - Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good office location. Good office interior

Cons

- Too much internal politics and it is overlooked by the management - Bullies are overlooked because they are handy - Promotion of inexperienced staff on the basis of friendship or internal politics who are not competent to manage/lead and this results into more internal politics and blaming on junior staff - They have some interesting projects and clients but it is so hard to get an opportunity to work on those due to internal politics and preferences of management - not the best pay scales and promotion opportunities - Poor execution of the learning and development programs - Strong expectation from staff to involve into company promotional activities - Heavy marketing externally as well as internally to crate the impression of the best company - Even though diversity is one of their key marketing point the management do lack the true understanding or sensitivity about diversity. They hire diverse looking people and heavily feature them but the company culture is expected to be in a certain way only and the differences are not really appreciated. The somewhat same goes for their other marketing points. In short their marketing points are to be taken with a pinch of salt. - It is overall a standard building services company but the marketing sets high expectations which is not met in reality and results into disappointment

3 people found this review helpful

Cundall Response

Resourcing Manager

Hello, and thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear you haven’t had the greatest experience working at Cundall, and we are always keen to receive honest feedback to help us improve. Reviews like this really help us in identifying areas where we need to do better. Your review will be highlighted to our Management Board and, if you are willing, I would be more than happy for you to contact me personally (e.campbell-bates@cundall.com) to confidentially discuss your experiences further. To respond to some of your wider points, I agree that there is a lot we need to accomplish to achieve our vision of being the best place for talent to grow and flourish, and I am pleased to say that we are already working hard on some of these areas. I hope you will be encouraged to know that our promotions processes are led by our HR team, who assess psychometric profiles, suggest the competency-based interview scripts and sit on all promotional interview panels to ensure a balanced and non-biased process. We have also hired an expert Learning and Development Manager within the last year which has brought much needed leadership to our L and D initiatives. We have budgetary approval for a new Learning Management System, which will be implemented next year, to help us drive further improvements in our approach to developing our people. Our formal Diversity and Inclusion Strategy, led by our Head of Talent, Diversity and Inclusion, was also launched last year. This recognises that we have much work to do as a company and as an industry to combat the ongoing lack of diversity and make our industry a place where all feel welcomed and respected. Our own strategy is underpinned by a robust five year plan which includes key initiatives, like training for our managers, which will embed diversity and inclusion as a shared business objective for us all. To your point on marketing, I would argue that any company’s marketing is by nature designed to entice and to sell and that it is unlikely that you will find a company that doesn’t promote and highlight the things it is proud of, but I also think it is equally important that what is being sold is an accurate reflection of the end product. With that in mind and in taking into account your advice to management, I do firmly believe that our Management Board have taken and continue to take steps to make Cundall a great place to work, and understand the need to invest their efforts and resources in hiring the right people. In turn, my team and I take this very seriously whilst leading the hiring processes, and we are all working hard to deliver on our vision of making Cundall the best place for talent to grow and flourish.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very good

26 Dec 2020 - Undergraduate Engineer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The employees are hard-working, positive and friendly.

Cons

There are no cons for working at cundall.

7. 5.0

A

21 Dec 2020 - Director in York, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

a long established business - all good.

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Recommended

24 Nov 2020 - Engineer in Newcastle, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good bunch of people at Cundall. Forward thinking with regards to sustainability and digital engineering

Cons

Pay could be higher for the mid-levels of technical roles within the business.

9. 2.0

working in engineering

21 Jan 2021 - Senior Engineer in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

pleasant environment, training opportunities, generally opportunities (depending on the team/manager)

Cons

salaries are not sufficient in my opinion

10. 2.0
      Current Employee

Black Clouds, Silver Linings?

4 Sep 2020 - Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

The staff are great, people are easy to work with. Projects can vary which provides something different on every job.

Cons

Salaries are no where near competitive. Work life balance can be non-existent depending on projects and workloads. Extra work is not rewarded by line managers/partners. They do nothing to retain good, hard working staff and rely on junior staff to perform tasks higher than their stations to fill the gaps. Cundall has become too political over the years which has damaged their reputation internally and their overheads have potentially grown too fast in recent years because due to the current climate of COVID-19 there have been redundancies in positions that require the manpower they have made redundant.

4 people found this review helpful

Cundall Response

Resourcing Manager

Hello, and thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear you have not had the greatest experience working at Cundall, and we are always keen to receive honest feedback to help us improve. Reviews like this really help us in identifying areas where we need to do better. Your review will be highlighted to our Management Board and I would encourage you to reach out to HR who can confidentially discuss your experiences with you further and support you with any issues you are facing. We are sorry to hear you feel our salaries are not competitive. We ensure that these are benchmarked against the market and have found them to be competitive with other companies in the industry. Aside from this, we have many great benefits above and beyond remuneration and place a huge importance on the health and wellbeing of our staff. Where workloads feel insurmountable, we would encourage you to talk to your line manager and/or HR as we want all our staff to be able to have a healthy balance between home and work. We do understand that there is work for us to do to improve recognition and reward from leaders and managers to their teams and will be doing more work to hold leadership accountable for this. We launched our recognition platform, Kudos, this year which has seen great traction so far and will be further encouraging managers to make sure they are utilising this to thank their colleagues. We also recognise that we always seek to stretch our junior staff and give them many opportunities for learning and growth, but this is never with the intention to fill more senior roles than they would be suited for. We do appreciate that the situation has been extremely difficult due to COVID-19, both on our hardworking staff who we know are navigating the challenges of working remotely and maintaining productivity on projects and workloads, and in having to make hard and unfortunate decisions regarding redundancies. Hopefully, you will agree that though this has been a disruptive and worrying time for us all, there are still positives to working at Cundall and that the variety of projects and brilliant people within the company, as you mentioned, have helped to counterbalance the difficulties of this year.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 97 Reviews