Custom Ink Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.8
Custom Ink Chairman, President, CEO, and Co-Founder Marc Katz
Marc Katz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great Benefits, quality products, and user-friendly software, fun environment, lots of celebration" (in 29 reviews)

• "Plus who doesn't love free food" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Everyone here knows each other from high school" (in 13 reviews)

• "Work life balance could be better" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company, doing a lot of things very right"

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Fresh out of college in my area --- great pay. you begin with a standard pay that was still REALLY amazing for me personally, and as you work, if you meet certain performance levels that are all clearly outlined to you from the start, you can get an increase in pay. i've never worked anywhere that made it that easy, transparent, and fair to get a raise. No weird negotiating, they make it obvious what they need from you and if you deliver then you're set.
    *they don't discriminate. they truly value people from different backgrounds, ages, identities, etc. a lot of companies give lip service to trying to be inclusive and valuing people not assumptions but they do seem to do a better job than most
    *actively tries to promote a positive work environment. we are constantly getting goodie bags, raffles for fun prizes (such as rock climbing passes to a gym, or to a spa) focused on keeping us happy and healthy, and we get food 2x a week SOMETIMES more.
    *AMAZING benefits. seriously, I would bet good money this is the best health insurance in the state of texas, and the cost is incredibly low and manageable, especially if you don't smoke.
    *flexible and understanding. there are a lot of different shifts, so you can usually find something that works for you.
    * NO colored hair policy -- since we're in customer service behind a screen and nobody sees us, we can have fun with our clothes and hair within reason! they don't discriminate against those with heavy tattoos either, but I think there is technically a facial piercing policy
    *we have so many fun events. gaming tournaments, a craft fair, we put art from different employees up on our cafe walls. you don't have to be an artist to work here, but if you are, you'll have a lot of fun!

Cons

*some customers can be a little less than nice, but you do run into that no matter where you go
    *there is a LOT to learn. so you gotta be really up to the task of putting in 100% to learn everything, though they do provide ample training
    *you will get fat really easily if you don't start working out after having a sit-down full time job, especially one that feeds you as well as they do! I speak from experience

Advice to Management

keep being awesome and taking feedback!

Custom Ink Response

20 Nov 2018

Thank you for this review. Colored hair? We don’t care! We don’t discriminate against tattoos or piercings, facial or otherwise. We celebrate individuality and diversity in every area of our business... More

2. "Thanks Custom Ink!"

Current Employee - Engineering in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As with any workplace, you'll find that there are some ups and downs here as well. However, over the years, the ups have always far outweighed the downs. The company frequently has gone through growing pains but has always come out on the other side having learned and becoming stronger. I really appreciate that the company focuses on finding ways to be candid and transparent. Team members are encouraged to provide their feedback and roll up their sleeves and help make this the greatest place to work.

When I compare benefits with my friends mine are always more affordable for myself with better coverage.

The people I work beside really care about the work they're doing. They have passion and take ownership. We are constantly evolving our technologies and it's exciting to see it all take shape in new ways that really make a difference for our customers. Above all else, everyone here is focused on customer satisfaction and engagement. It's always exciting to know that the end result of our collective efforts means that a customer received something that was really, truly meaningful to them and their group that they'll hang on to for years and years and years.

At the end of the day, I love working here. I love the people. I love the work. I love our customers. And I love the mission.

Cons

The benefits for family members could stand to be more affordable, but it's so affordable for myself that it makes up the difference a bit.

I would also love to see more diversity within the leadership levels, especially in the higher leadership levels. Women and minorities feel under represented in those areas.

I would also love to see more alignment in our review ratings process as several pieces of compensation are tied to those ratings and could mean some people are rewarded more for having an easier grader as their leader.

3. "Sets employees up for success"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly thorough training upon onboarding and ample resources available once you're out of training. Transparent feedback within the company. Supportive management who talks about career development regularly, offering training courses and many reports so your performance is known well before reviews or meetings with manager.

Free lunch and snack weekly, as well as coffee Froyo, and bulk snacks available daily. Discounts to many local businesses and easy access to 495, the Metro via Dunn Loring (there's a shuttle that comes directly from the metro stop).

Most people seem to genuinely enjoy coming to work and it's great to be around all of that positive energy.

Cons

Biggest con in my book is the cost for Healthcare for a family. While single employees can spend more on lunch than insurance costs, they are almost crippling for a family of four. The coverage is AMAZING but seeing my paycheck deductions hurts to look at.

Advice to Management

Transparency and communication are what make this company great. Keep with it. Best company I've ever worked for.

4. "Great Tech Place to Work (for real)"

Current Employee - Senior Technology Engineer in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Engineer in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Custom Ink is a great place to work and is recognized annually by Fortune and Washingtonian. CI is an inclusive company and really try hard to grow careers. It is run like a tech company that focuses on retail. Free snacks, lunches, etc. There has been a heavy investment in AWS training, opportunities to work on your own projects and an annual internal hackathon. The company has been growing consistently for 10+ years and well lead by a great management team.

Cons

Salaries are slightly behind industry average but management seems to be listening.

5. "Great Company - Start Your Long-Term Career Here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, Great People to Work With, Growth (good opportunities for advancement)

Cons

Lots of change (which is good, but tough for some)

Advice to Management

Keep being open and cascading information. We love the transparency.

6. "Cool Culture"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at Custom Ink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Employees here genuinely care about treating each other and customers well.

Cons

Pay is relatively low. The bonus/compensation structure is constantly changing Management positions seem to be filled based on favorites.

Advice to Management

This is a great place to work--but as the cost of living continues to increase in the Reno market, good employees will be tough to hold onto.

7. "Fun Place to Work"

Former Employee - Inker in Irving, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inker in Irving, TX (US)

I worked at Custom Ink part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working environment
    Competitive Salary
    Easy to advance in the company

Cons

There is a lack of consistency.

"Great Place To Work - Top 100 Companies to work for"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've always been treated as a valued employee here, and while I've had my bad days, my good days outweigh them. I've worked for the company for over 5 years and have established long standing relationships, and mentors. I also appreciate the development opportunities I have had.

Cons

Nothing really to complain about, I try not to take my job for granted because it pays my bills and I've been very fortunate

9. "This company just went really "company" on me."

Current Employee - Key Accounts Manager in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Key Accounts Manager in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at Custom Ink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Catered lunches, interesting coworkers, incredible benefits. Company claims to be focused on building "commuinities"

Cons

One of the major objectives of this company is to become a $1B organization and this means that the shift has gone from community building to profit building, to the detriment of it's employees. The problem is that the changes that the company is making in dropping the base pay of many of the current roles. For the Key Account Managment team, in particular, the base pay recently dropped about $10k per year and has increased the threshold one needs to cross in order to begin to earn incentive. The sales organization has become very cutthroat and is beginning to resemble a company that I am not interested in working within.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees their worth. They work hard to stand for their customers and it's hard for many of us to continue to feel passionate about our customers when we see how much money is coming into the company and how very little the company is investing in it's own.

10. "Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Designer in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Designer in Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at Custom Ink full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual clothing. Great health insurance and paid time off.

Cons

Literally everything else. When you make complaints about sexism in your department, it goes nowhere. Salaries are way below industry standard, and when you present your case, it does nothing. No raises, BARELY cost of living increase. Yeah they make some top places to work lists, but they keep getting lower and lower on the list. If you don't drink the Kool-Aid then you'll never fit in. Management never has your back. Constant talking in circles and never getting anything done.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially about pain points.