Cycle Surgery Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Cycle Surgery Reviews

Updated 13 June 2018

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Rewarding careers await!"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Cycle Surgery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best brands, great customers and fantastic staff.

Cons

Hard work and very fast paced but rewarding.

Advice to Management

I've always had great support - Keep it up!

"I worked at cycle surgery both as a mechanic and shop assistant for about 18 months in several shops."

Former Employee - Mechanic/Shop Assistant
    Former Employee - Mechanic/Shop Assistant

I worked at Cycle Surgery full-time

Pros

Great staff prices, and friendly staff least in the shops that I have worked.

Cons

Longer and longer working hours, shortage of staff.
    The management does not work well under pressure and cannot tell staff off if they constantly late from their shifts. The head office is separating itself from the shops, although they are the same company.
    To get a promotion you have to know some people, otherwise, you will be stuck in a position like me for a long time. They don't care much about your experience or how good you are, they likely to believe all the gossips from other shops about you.
     Right before I left, the company did some changes which were announced as beneficial changes to the staff, but what they give with one hand, they take with the other one.

Advice to Management

Management has to address their staff about what they can and cannot do at work.

"Uncaring company twisting your passion into a prison"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Cycle Surgery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zero hours contracts mean you can fit work around the 4 other jobs you need

Cons

Pay less than London living wage, employ so few members of staff that you can't spend time with customers, turn a blind eye to bullying, hypocrisy, no training. No avenues to complain about poor or discriminatory managers, will cut your hours in half to punish you being late or sick, or fail to obtain enough email addresses from customers. Will cut your hours during quiet times, i.e. the entire winter, with no remorse or help to find something within another fascias of the business. Clocking in and out system that means if you work longer than 8 hours in a day, you are automatically signed out and you have to plead with your manager to pay you for the potential 3 the system says you aren't entitled to.

Advice to Management

Make hay while the sun shines, and support the people on the coal face who put food on your table by breaking their backs day in day out with no prospects of improving their future.

"Downhill Since Takeover"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Assistant in London, England

Pros

Regular customers are the ones who really make the job. Once you've built up a rapport with them, solving their problems makes it all the more satisfying. Enthusiastic newbies with questions are a highlight, too.

Cons

Pay cut for part-timers since the investment firm that previously owned Snow+Rock group sold us - trying to make us look a little more appealing to buyers.
    So much bureaucracy since ownership changed hands, not nearly as enjoyable as it used to be. Cotswolds are really driving it into the ground.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting pay.
    Stop sucking the fun out of the bike business for us - we want people to enjoy themselves, not ply them with products in order to make targets.

5. "Great atmosphere but low pay and commission"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at Cycle Surgery part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere among staff. The store manager at the time was great at balancing the targets from head office with the seasonal flow of customers. Spending all day talking about my favourite sport and past-time with colleagues and customers. Great discounts after six and twelve months of being with the company.

Cons

Pay is very low, but not unusual for retail. From discussions with store manager it's not much better as you move up the ladder either.