DFID Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Justine Greening

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic colleagues at all levels Flexible work patterns Well respected around the world Reasonably good learning and development Global possibilities

Cons

Short term politicians deciding strategic direction (can't change that) Large pay differences between lower grades with no scaling

DFID2016-08-20
  2. "Work experience feedback"

I have been working at DFID full-time

Pros

Work life balance, learning and development opportunities

Cons

Fewer opportunities for growth and progress

DFID2016-07-28

"Could be so much better"

I worked at DFID

Pros

The aims of the organisation and some of its achievements.

Cons

Not ethnically diverse in grades above G7. Very white. Very middle class.

DFID2016-04-03
  4. "Not great at all"

I have been working at DFID full-time

Pros

Good working hours Monday to Friday. Good pay for Civil Service. Met some nice people

Cons

Some levels of management are clueless, systems are antiquated and can be a very negative environment to work.

Advice to Management

Show staff more respect and learn the full scope of activities carried out by your teams

DFID2016-02-29

"DFID"

I worked at DFID full-time

Pros

Industry leader, interesting content Overseas opportunities

Cons

Too many idealists, which ultimately holds back delivery Lack of diversity in the work force (ie too many middle class white people - ironic given its globally facing role)

Advice to Management

As above

DFID2015-06-27

"Challenging, supportive and deeply rewarding"

Former Employee - Deputy Programmer Manager in London, England

I worked at DFID full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Principally, the notion that everything you do is focussed on improving the lives of the poorest and most vulnerable people in the world. As well as that, in my experience, I found everyone I worked with to be smart, highly capable, totally dedicated and really supportive. You have to work hard, but why wouldn't you?

Cons

Development is important and you do need to see it as more than just a job. Sometimes the work can be stressful and intense. Sometimes the deadlines can be unreasonably short.

Advice to Management

Give people the experience I had. Make it clear why they are doing what they are doing. Support them to improve in their work and in their career. Be kind.

DFID2014-08-27

"The best employer in the civil service"

Current Employee - Head of Jordan and Lebanon Team in London, England

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A strong sense of mission, delivering real outcomes. A world leader in development. Interesting, challenging work. Working with a diverse, highly skilled and vibrant group of people.

Cons

The usual problems of a large, complex organisation apply. But as civil service/public sector organisations go, DFID is relatively well managed. Also, politics is politics - if you can't cope with working in an ultimately political environment both in the UK and the other countries we work in, don't bother.

Advice to Management

Most of what we do is challenging enough. Sometimes leadership is about being helping people get over those challenges, not creating new ones.

DFID2014-07-29
  8. "Highs and lows"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is clearly passion for the policy work which is rich and varied, good training opportunities

Cons

Can be very grade conscious and in my experience not all teams promote work/life balance and can penalise you if you don't work consistently long hours. Has felt as if DFID management attempts to create a civil service mould of what 'good' looks like and a single approach rather than promoting and encouraging different styles of working

Advice to Management

walk the talk, set examples of work/life balance, be more transparent about performance monitoring especially in moderation discussions. Get better at promoting diversity and enabling staff to bring more of a sense of authenticity to work

DFID2014-07-03
  9. "A unique opportunity in the UK Government to make a positive impact on the world"

Current Employee - Head of High Level Events in London, England

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to deal with some of the most crucial issues facing the world and work alongside some exceptional people in an organisation which is internationally respected

Cons

There is a slight culture of interllectual/academic snobbishness which pervades the organisation which has nagative impact.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to celebrate successes and to share good examples of what we are achieving on the ground to make a difference. Improve corporate systems, especially those online and have them professionally designed.

DFID2014-05-11
  10. "Nice place to work but poor pay"

Current Employee - Policy Advisor in London, England

I have been working at DFID full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work on subjects you can only gain access to working for a Government Rotation cycles short which means you can get a lot of access across different areas of work, or even Government Really, really nice people and a supportive culture of work Supportive culture around maternity leave

Cons

Salaries are about 60% less than industry standards Little focus on innovation or thinking outside the box except in specialised policy units Very small L&D budget Intense hiring from within ranks rather than external hiring in of expertise or knowledge.

Advice to Management

Worker bees need to be paid salaries that can be lived on in London

DFID2013-05-07