DFW International Airport Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 January 2019

2.4
Sean Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Everyone respects the work life balance" (in 11 reviews)

• "Excellent place to work, great benefits, and provides a wonderful work life balance" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Limited functioning human resources" (in 11 reviews)

• "Very old style work environment, most are very stuck in their ways" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"6-Months in the job"

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Customer Experience focused. Very Employee Engagement focused. Benefits are great and start on the first day as a Board Employee. New hire orientation is just right - big picture and how you contribute.

Cons

If you need to replace your badge - it costs a large chunk of money.
    Parking can be a challenge, but they do provide a bus to take you from the terminal to the employee parking lot.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging the employees and set expectations in the actual position right up front. Training by co-workers can be less than you are expecting, so a level up might be a better choice for the on-the-job training.

1 Nov 2018 – DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate you letting us know that our recently redesigned onboarding efforts were well-received and helped show how you play an important role... More

"DPS Fire"

Current Employee - Firefighter/EMT
    Current Employee - Firefighter/EMT

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work, great benefits, and provides a wonderful work life balance. I’m overwhelmed by the amount of growth I’ve seen here during my career. I honestly think this is a very good place to work and I’m proud to say I work here.

Cons

There are no real cons with this organization. I’ve learned in my adult life, that it’s the people that make the experience what it is. I work with and around some really good people. Reading through some of these reviews makes me thankful that I work for the department that I do.

3. "Valet"

Former Employee - Valet Driver in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Valet Driver in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at DFW International Airport part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to operate new, expensive luxury vehicles.

Cons

Pay is too low

"Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall a very great place to work. Many opportunities and challenges to develop yourself with support from managers, HR and internal department training.

Cons

I don't suppose any place is perfect. Pay is high when benchmarked against other public entities but not when benchmarked against private industry. Nonetheless, I chose to stay due to the challenging work, company investment in my development and colleagues that support one another.

28 Dec 2018 – DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate you sharing your perspective and that you find your role challenging and rewarding. We are also pleased to hear that you are taking... More

"Morale as high as Government workers in a shutdown not getting paid"

Current Employee - Department of Public Safety-ASD in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Department of Public Safety-ASD in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Very good time off package, an additional week more than most companies. Most companies provide newer employees 1-2 weeks, however DFW provides 3 weeks from day one.
    *The onsite gym is a great asset to employees.
    * Option to bid shift that is conducive to ones schedule.
    * This year provided a bonus of $300 and up paid to all employees who's rating was meets expectations and above.

Cons

* Attitudes are the pits in this department, I never have witnessed anything quite like it, and that includes two tours of duty.
    * Management and supervision are much to blame for such dysfunction, chaos, and poor attitudes. Veteran employees can provide details on decades of mis-management and questionable acts. I believe this dept is on its 4th or 5th head manager, others have all been terminated or forced to resign over the years.
    * Employees are treated poorly and with disrespect and not matter how kind dfw public relations likes to comment on reviews making everything sound wonderful it is not and human resources is little to no help. In fact it is difficult to keep up with who your HR representative is, seeing how they come and go so often.
    *Favoritism is alive and well
    * Mandatory overtime still exist due to so many resignations and you are threatened with a write up if you do not comply with the assignment. They do not care if you have family obligations or illness.
    * Frequently work in inclement weather, exposed to rain, snow, 100+ temperatures, dust, mud etc.
    * Apparently it is difficult to explore other career avenues, the airport does not transfer employees, nor promote often, at least from the Airport Security Department. Many other departments I have talked to claim the same thing so I imagine it is an ideology prevalent across the Airport.
    * Did I mention truly bad Supervision, management, and higher ups?

"Most immature people I've ever worked with"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers try to make the work interesting and rewarding

Cons

Coworkers act like 3rd graders. Constantly yelling across the work areas, having chats next to your desk. The company recently had mats installed in the men's rooms because male employees urinate on the floor. Male employees also don't wash after using the restroom. It's like working with a bunch of 9 year olds.

Advice to Management

Make managers' raises dependent on their employees' conduct.

28 Dec 2018 – DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We will share this feedback with our teams and look at addressing the restroom issues. If you wish to give more input or have ideas on how we could... More

"Airport Security"

Current Employee - Security Officer
    Current Employee - Security Officer

I have been working at DFW International Airport (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Good Pay
    It's not a desk job

The officers in security are great people with few exceptions. Most people are friendly and reliable. Trust what they tell you, good or bad.

Cons

This is the definition of mismanagement. The turnover is nearly 10 percent every quarter in this department. The employees are treated horribly and no one cares. Employees are forced into overtime, except for the managers who forced the mandatory overtime. There is no 'Lead By Example' in this department.

If you have an issue, the airport will quickly tell you to contact human resources. If you ever try to, your HR representative will ignore your issue completely. I've sent multiple emails and called too many times asking for help without a response. HR is designed to protect the supervisors and managers, not employees. Expect HR to ignore you.

Our newest AVP, the third in three years, is non-existent. He only cares about his reputation, and doesn't want to fix the issues in the department. Multiple security officers I work with have requested meetings with him to discuss issues only to be ignored.

You are required to use your own vehicle for work. This means you must pay for more car insurance. The airport claims you have a choice to take a company vehicle, but supervisors and managers refuse to let you drive these vehicles. You will not be compensated for the increase in your insurance either.

One last piece, your life experience means nothing here. Military service, previous careers and life accomplishments are overlooked here. Your promotion relies completely on who you know, not what you know. This is a classic 'good old boy' system which will force you to listen to people who have no job knowledge or leadership experience.

Advice to Management

Nothing will ever come of this review, but I will still give my advice.

Take away hiring and promoting from the department completely. These managers and supervisors should have zero say in who gets a job in the department. They have shown many times that they do not care about knowledge and experience. The favoritism is ridiculous.

Completely rewrite your standard operating procedures. They are all out of date and this causes confusion and frustration.

Force everyone in leadership to have a minimum amount of experience as an officer. Too many people in leadership have little to no experience at all. It is hard to listen to someone, who doesn't know the job, telling you how to do your job. Leadership is WAY out of touch with the officers.

Do not let these supervisors and managers have a say in your employees raises. As I have mentioned, leadership shows favoritism and the appraisal system is used to punish officers they do not like.

"Constant battle between "The haves" and "Have nots""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunity at witnessing politics at there best and picking up skills not to become entangled in such activities. Great health insurance, yet pricey. Very stable and secure employer.

Cons

I have been working for the last 19 years at several employers in my lifetime thus far and I have never witnessed such hostile and general poor relationship between management and workers. The superiority complex that supervision all the way to the top have is off the chart. The Airport has a tuition reimbursement package which is good, however they do not have a good process for employees to promote into other job opportunities, therefore severely limiting any growth.
    A lot of bitter, and borderline angry employees to work with daily, I imagine this is from inadequate management not fostering a inclusive work environment. Executives receive very large bonuses and the "have nots" dont get much in return for they endure.

Advice to Management

Possibly bring in an outside, unaffiliated consultant service to research, interview employee's, and chart positives and negatives outlining solutions. Reevaluate merit increases for employee's and compare with higher public and private entities. Simmilate a better process for current employee's to promote and freedom to move within the organization. Become more transparent and create a public chart detailing how many current employee applicants have been promoted or transferred into other departments over the last several years.

28 Dec 2018 – DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience here at DFW. We appreciate you taking your time to do so. We are committed to improving our benefits - just this year we... More

"good place to work as long as you get a good manager"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

great employee benefits, free full gym exrtracurricular activities like volleyball tournaments,etc

Cons

many bosses don't know what they are doing and are not management material.
    Little accountability for those that do not carry their weight

14 Dec 2018 – DFW International Airport

We are glad to hear you enjoy our excellent benefits program, including our LiveWell facility. We thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We do have leadership programs that management is... More

"DFW dps security"

Current Employee - Security Supervisor
    Current Employee - Security Supervisor

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits. Live well program

Cons

Management, well the new management found the only way to mess things up more. They have now done away with the fto training section. This has led to a breach already. As well they are now stick new officers in the field with no experience or help. This as well has led to problems. The new management has empowered the people causing these problems.

Advice to Management

Save your big paychecks you are going down the same road that the last three got replaced for.

1 Nov 2018 – DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. When senior leadership makes decisions, many factors come into play. One of them is the way it will impact all of our employees. We often have to... More