DFW International Airport Employee Reviews about "human resources"

Updated 28 Mar 2020

2.9
DFW International Airport Chief Executive Officer Sean Donohue
Sean Donohue
Pros
  • "Everyone respects the work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "Excellent place to work, great benefits, and provides a wonderful work life balance(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Its a dog eat dog environment with little to no support from management or Human Resources(in 15 reviews)

• "Very old style work environment, most are very stuck in their ways(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "human resources"

Return to all Reviews

"The quintessential of how not to run a Department"

1.0
    Former Employee - Airport Security Supervisor- DPS Airport Security Department in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only thing I found worthwhile during my time was that the Airport offers great health insurance and fair pay, these positives in no way justify a long term career at DFW.

Cons

Really really bad environment daily. This place treats workers so poorly on a daily basis that the attitude amongst employees and fellow Supervision is polar opposite from the norm. Its a dog eat dog environment with little to no support from management or Human Resources. I do not recommend. There is a ton of turnover and complaints filed with EEOC, HR, and Management weekly. Lawsuits are common, seriously dysfunctional department.

April 9, 2020Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide honest feedback. We are glad that you felt that you were compensated fairly but we do also take your adverse feedback seriously and will share it with related parties. We also want to encourage you to reach out to our HR Department directly at 972-973-1101 should there be specific details that you would like to share in confidentiality.

"Extremely corrupt organization that has absolutely no ethics"

1.0
    Current Employee - Airport Security Officer- Department of Public Safety in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent starting salary; Large, unique, and very interesting place to work.

Cons

Absolutely horrible excuse of leadership, they utilize fear mongering and intimidation with officers and are on a power trip. Many unethical hiring decisions, to include promoting newly hired individuals into Lead and Supervision positions. Recently promoted a chiefs child over individuals with many years experience. Certain Supervision alter individuals schedules in order to support their own inappropriate relationships. Some management is rarely ever around and literally only works 25-35% of the time yet gets paid a hefty annual salary. Several incidents of inappropriate sexual relationships are ongoing currently between Supervisory or Lead figures and subordinates. Officers approach management with concerns and are "labeled" all while sweeping wrongdoings under the rug. When Human Resources are notified of incidents and poor treatment of Officers it goes unresolved. Several veteran, and many newer Officers have jumped ship, or in the process of jumping ship currently to transfer into any other job at DFW or resigning to other employers because they say are tired of the years of abuse, corruption, and unethical treatment in the Airport Security Department. There is little to enjoy about going to this place daily, very little support, very little resources, very poor leadership, and HR department that is pointless. Extremely corrupt organization that abuses workers and does little to foster any positivity on a daily basis.

December 30, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thorough feedback with us as relates to our Airport Security Department. It is through voices like yours that we are able to better understand and address issues within our organization. We strive to be one of the leading employers in the North Texas region and we cannot do that without hearing from employees like you who help us focus in on areas in need of attention. Your voice has been heard by the leadership within our Human Resources department and will be shared with associated parties to address the highlighted issues. If you would like to provide additional details, please feel free to reach out to our HR department at 972-973-1101. We take your feedback seriously, and we will ensure that it is heard.

"The most unethical and corrupt place I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of learning and new skills Fair wages Very good health insurance (expensive)

Cons

Poor decisions made by leadership They simply do not care about workers I was treated horribly by supervision to include verbal abuse, and mental abuse. Human resources has one function, protect DFW and do not act as an advocate or mediator. This place is abusive and abrasive to work at daily and in many ways reminded me of an abusive relationship I unfortunately was in many years ago. When I tried to get out of my department and test the waters in a different area of DFW I was only shot down or ignored after applying for over 15 jobs. Many veteran employees warned me that it DFW doesn't hire within. So that's my summary in a nutshell.

November 19, 2019Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are pleased to know that you recognize the learning opportunities and quality of health benefits we offer. However, we are very sorry to hear about your experience with your supervision, and appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. We take these concerns very seriously and are committed to providing the best working environment to our employees, where everyone can develop, contribute, and be fully engaged and encouraged in their professional growth. We will share your feedback with our leadership team, as it is our goal to ensure that we listen to and address every employee’s feedback.

"Morale as high as Government workers in a shutdown not getting paid"

Current Employee - Department of Public Safety-ASD in Dallas, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Very good time off package, an additional week more than most companies. Most companies provide newer employees 1-2 weeks, however DFW provides 3 weeks from day one. *The onsite gym is a great asset to employees. * Option to bid shift that is conducive to ones schedule. * This year provided a bonus of $300 and up paid to all employees who's rating was meets expectations and above.

Cons

* Attitudes are the pits in this department, I never have witnessed anything quite like it, and that includes two tours of duty. * Management and supervision are much to blame for such dysfunction, chaos, and poor attitudes. Veteran employees can provide details on decades of mis-management and questionable acts. I believe this dept is on its 4th or 5th head manager, others have all been terminated or forced to resign over the years. * Employees are treated poorly and with disrespect and not matter how kind dfw public relations likes to comment on reviews making everything sound wonderful it is not and human resources is little to no help. In fact it is difficult to keep up with who your HR representative is, seeing how they come and go so often. *Favoritism is alive and well * Mandatory overtime still exist due to so many resignations and you are threatened with a write up if you do not comply with the assignment. They do not care if you have family obligations or illness. * Frequently work in inclement weather, exposed to rain, snow, 100+ temperatures, dust, mud etc. * Apparently it is difficult to explore other career avenues, the airport does not transfer employees, nor promote often, at least from the Airport Security Department. Many other departments I have talked to claim the same thing so I imagine it is an ideology prevalent across the Airport. * Did I mention truly bad Supervision, management, and higher ups?

April 12, 2019DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’re glad to hear that you have liked all the incentives and benefits DFW Airport has to offer such as time-off, our health & wellness program – Live Well, and more, including flexibility to bid your shift. We are disappointed to hear; however, that you have not been pleased with the management of your department. Please know that the Airport continues to invest in the selection and development of our leaders, and we are confident that our investment will pay off. There are currently several leadership openings in your function that provide a promotional opportunity for our Officers with the aspiration for upward mobility. We encourage you to contact your Human Resources Consultant to offer more specifics about your concerns so that we can respond more directly. We will also ensure to review your feedback with our leadership. Our goal is to provide that we promptly address every employee’s concerns.

"Airport Security"

Security Officer

I have been working at DFW International Airport for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Benefits Good Pay It's not a desk job The officers in security are great people with few exceptions. Most people are friendly and reliable. Trust what they tell you, good or bad.

Cons

This is the definition of mismanagement. The turnover is nearly 10 percent every quarter in this department. The employees are treated horribly and no one cares. Employees are forced into overtime, except for the managers who forced the mandatory overtime. There is no 'Lead By Example' in this department. If you have an issue, the airport will quickly tell you to contact human resources. If you ever try to, your HR representative will ignore your issue completely. I've sent multiple emails and called too many times asking for help without a response. HR is designed to protect the supervisors and managers, not employees. Expect HR to ignore you. Our newest AVP, the third in three years, is non-existent. He only cares about his reputation, and doesn't want to fix the issues in the department. Multiple security officers I work with have requested meetings with him to discuss issues only to be ignored. You are required to use your own vehicle for work. This means you must pay for more car insurance. The airport claims you have a choice to take a company vehicle, but supervisors and managers refuse to let you drive these vehicles. You will not be compensated for the increase in your insurance either. One last piece, your life experience means nothing here. Military service, previous careers and life accomplishments are overlooked here. Your promotion relies completely on who you know, not what you know. This is a classic 'good old boy' system which will force you to listen to people who have no job knowledge or leadership experience.

April 12, 2019DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’re glad to hear that you are liking the great benefits and pay that the Airport has to offer. We couldn’t agree more that we have some great Security Officers working at our Airport. We are disappointed to hear; however, that you have not been pleased with the support you have received from HR and your leadership. Given the number of Officers in the department and the small number of folks on the HR staff, it is often impossible to provide the kind of personal attention that each person desires. Please know that we continue to make significant investments in our selection and development of leaders and will continue to explore means through which the concerns of officers can be heard and addressed more quickly. We are confident these efforts will pay off. Nevertheless, we take your feedback seriously, and we will ensure that it is heard. Our goal is to ensure that every employee’s concerns are addressed.

"I read reviews before I started and afterwards realized all negative reviews are true"

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time

Pros

-Excellent onsite employee wellness facility free for employees -Fair wages -Good place to start a career (if other employers only knew) -For the most part low level employees are great to work with on a daily basis

Cons

-Stuck in the past with antiquated management practices (corporal punishment is encouraged to dissuade other employees from not engaging in debauchery. -Untrustworthy supervision, management, and especially executives. -The airport does not reward employees well in terms of annual raise, meanwhile management up to executives receive HUGE bonuses. -Very stifling place to work that prefers robotic employees to heave to any and all orders and demands even if it poses a safety risk to employees. In their mind you are replaceable. -No promoting -Human resources is not a resource for workers I recently started and needless to say I am looking to escape with my sole. I read negative reviews before starting and chaulked it up to a small handful of negative employees. I was naive and realize now this was all true, I have to wonder if overly positive reviews are in fact HR trying to falsely portray as a positive place to work. I am not an overly religious person or have any strange beliefs, however I feel my sole being slowly taken with every week working here. It is a dark, depressing, negative place full of corruption. -

November 1, 2018DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. When we looked at our past employee survey results, some of the input received did include the opportunity outlined in regards to management. Since then, here’s what we have done and will work on improving moving forward: management training programs for existing managers as well as growth path opportunities through training for aspiring managers. We already have employees undergoing this process and should result in a positive impact for the teams and the organization. We take the rest of your concerns raised here very seriously and would like to hear more to address this. Please reach out to your HR Consultant directly or through your manager. However, if you feel more comfortable, based on your feedback, you can use our other resources listed at the bottom of the intranet page (Connected).

"Airport Security Department"

DPS-Airport Security Officer in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport for more than a year

Pros

Generous benefits package to include hefty vacation accruals from day one, sick leave accruals are decent as well. Health insurance is somewhat pricey, however it is not a high deductible plan like so many others. Onsite employee gym is better than many local small gyms and free for employees. A fast paced and diverse set of operations within one organization could be a great learning opportunity and gainful in experience that could lead to potential other career options. (However DFW does not believe in interdepartmental cohesiveness) Extremely effective at serving as an example of what an employer should NOT do

Cons

By far the worst experience in my working career in regards to such a poor experience with management, as well as an employer. Employees are simply replaceable numbers on paper at DFW, I have never witnessed such a high turnover rate in my department. I would estimate nearly 10% of an entire department resign every 4-6 months. When 10% of your staff resigns twice in a year period that should show any competent management and human resource officials there is a serious problem. At DFW they march along under delusion that they are great and everyone wants to work for them. Rewards for employee's is not flattering. Most recently the airport announced that due to outstanding performance they would be waiving all medical costs for employees over a 3 month period. I admit this is a nice gesture and I hate to sound unappreciative, however a larger raise or tangible monetary bonus would have been better received. Executives receive double digit bonuses and even upper management, yet regular employees are not granted the same privileges. The airport has to wake up to the fact that they can give lip service all day long about how they value employees but actions speak louder than words when it comes to incentives and rewards for employees. An ice cream sandwich does not carry the weight of a monetary incentive, especially with employees losing buying power year over year. As mentioned before the airport does not foster an interdepartmental cohesiveness and remains very compartmentalized. This limits any gainful experience, and/or any promotional opportunities for employees. It also promotes employees to have the "I dont care, not my department attitude". In fact the lack of promoting within was the deciding factor with myself resigning, human resources was not helpful at all and does not care if employees are happy, hence the high turnover. When an employee steps up, assists with projects, aids in training, maintains impeccable attendance and yet can only obtain a measly 2.75% annual raise and receive no assistance in establishing a career plan this all points to a sub par employer. Constant belittling, negativity, and vibes of superiority emanate from supervision and management. There has been 3 AVP's over Airport Security Department in the last couple of years. This place has no idea how to function as a department. Changes are implemented daily and then changed back, and changed again. Half of the time officers are not sure what the correct way is. There is no schedule for Officers, supervisors withhold this privileged knowledge, therefore you have no clue what assignment you will receive daily and it is difficult to prepare for. This is imperative seeing how there is no lunch provided in ASD and many times no place to refrigerate food. Once a department head told us to just bring cold sandwiches everyday. Lots of bad attitudes and truly lack of caring from the abuse over the years here.

August 22, 2019DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your experience while working at DFW Airport. We appreciate you bringing your concerns regarding upper management to our attention. If you would like to provide more details, please feel free to reach out to our HR department at 972-973-1101. We take your feedback seriously, and we will ensure that it is heard.

"All about the upper management."

1.0

Pros

Some great colleagues to work with, very knowledgeable

Cons

Management is clueless and circles employees like a buzzard waiting for it's prey to collapse. Extremely low morale, toxic environment for workers to endure daily. Little to no promotion available to current employees Very little incentive to go above and beyond (excluding AVP's and above, hence some positive reviews by such figureheads). They get a much better incentive plan and bonuses in order to take from the common employees). Limited functioning human resources Low level management down to front line employees are trampled on and receive little to no raise/incentive. Many employees are resigning to work for better organizations. Stories galore of improper decisions/incidents with mismanagement and/or misuse of funds, as well as wrongful employment practices.

Continue reading

"By far the worst servitude of any employer I have ever had to endure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than a year

Pros

3 weeks vacation starts accruing from day 1, which is more than others The majority of people you work with are very good Benefits are affordable for the employee, and very comprehensive

Cons

1. Constant turmoil from the top down, it is a complete crapshoot daily on what new policy or procedural changes will be implemented. 2. Leaders like to think they are genuine and making good decisions, however when the attitudes are as low as this place CLEARLY these decisions are not wise. I have never seen a place filled with so much negativity and discontent for management and the job as a whole, from what I hear from a few of the people who have worked here for many years the place has been dysfunctional, out of control, and in turmoil since the beginning almost two decades ago. 3. Officers are treated with no respect, and sometimes even abused when forcefully sent to work in environments with no restrooms, no breaks, dusty, dirty, hazardous chemicals and friable asbestos present. How this place hasn't been sued more is beyond me. I have been sent to a heavy construction area for a 10 hour shift and literally never was relieved by anyone for a restroom, nor meal break 4. Because of the poor attitudes and low morale many people call in sick habitually and supervision doesn't like it. So.... What is there solution? Hide the 2 week schedule from all 100+ officers in hopes people won't call in when assigned to a poor location (most assignments are in a poor working environment). So now you as an employee have no idea whether you should bring a lunch because you may or may not be assigned in an area with no food, running water, or restrooms. Or you may be assigned in the terminal, you may have more comfortable shoes you purchased for that reason, yet with no schedule one never knows how to prepare for work. I can't tell you how many lunches I brought and yet ended up throwing away due to no refrigeration or means to heat. 5. Special units within were created by the previous regime that were formed as a means of advancement and looking good with ones service, these special units are now being disbanded. The officers who were in these units will become regular officers and very little in regards to advancement will exist. In fact many say reductions in staffing are coming. 6. The raise most get here in the Airport Security Department are lower than one would expect, lower than most places I have worked in the past. 7. Many started here hoping it could lead to promoting to police with the Airport DPS, however most police officers don't give you the time of day and it is extremely difficult to promote up. 8. There is much harassing and favoritism shown by management here, the employees that seek assistance from human resources are surprised to find little to no assistance and human resources is not on your side here. 9. 10 hour shifts with no lunch break, talking of implementing 12 hour shifts. It is a revolving door here with employees, management and executives are clueless and truthfully don't care. The airport obviously has many deep rooted issues judging by all the reviews here in so many departments.

Continue reading

"Not a very good place to work"

Current Employee - Laborer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I work with are great, I enjoy spending the day with almost all of them. The Airport is a unique large employer with many different career fields. Tuition reimbursement is a great option here, in all honesty that is the main reason I stay is to get my degree and get out of here.

Cons

The management is not remotely what a boss should be, the worst people are chosen for these roles and it shows. There are numerous issues that have been on going for quite some time now and the broken record playing over and over stating they are working on it. People it's been over 4 years of problems that have only become worse, not even slightly better. The human resources department has major turnover and has for years, honestly I can't even keep up with my departments hr rep. Not that it matters because they are of very little use for employee matters. As I mentioned the Airport is very unique as an employer that can offer such a wide variety of types of careers that one can pursue. However transferring or promoting don't come easy, it's all in who you know and not done with any ethics or fairness at all. As other reviews have stated the health insurance is quite expensive and raises don't even cover standard cost of living increase. Well... Unless you are high up the food chain and raises are much better for that class. Respect is not shown to employees here, everything is expected and you get little in return.

Found 15 reviews