DFW International Airport Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated 7 Feb 2020

2.7
DFW International Airport Chief Executive Officer Sean Donohue
Sean Donohue
Pros
  • "Everyone respects the work life balance(in 12 reviews)

• "Excellent place to work, great benefits, and provides a wonderful work life balance(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Its a dog eat dog environment with little to no support from management or Human Resources(in 15 reviews)

• "Very old style work environment, most are very stuck in their ways(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Place to Work!!!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time at DFW Airport since I joined a few years ago. There is a good work and life balance, and it seems like a very stable work environment. I worked in a large Hospital system before joining the Airport, and we have better medical coverage and at much lower cost here. The benefits are amazing. Top priorities for management are health and wellness, as well as diversity and inclusion. The Airport offers incentives to employees to improve health and wellness outcomes. The workforce is very diverse. I personally feel included and respected here, and like a valued member of this organization.

Cons

Being a public entity, there is a lot red tape. One must learn to navigate through a well-defined hierarchy of approvals. Some departments still operate in silos. Management is aware of these challenges and I believe they are taking the steps to improve in these areas.

February 12, 2020Talent Acquisition Manager

We are so happy to hear that you enjoy the work life balance, stability and benefits that the airport provides. We work hard to be one of the region’s top employers and these efforts are a part of that plan. We also appreciate you highlighting some of the areas such as silos that we can continue to work on. Thank you for your continued part in helping us Transform Travel!

"Low pay for such horrendous treatment"

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great fellow workers to enjoy, very knowledgeable and good sense of humor.

Cons

Treated like crap from management, DFW likes to woo readers and employees with their trivial effort such as a constant barrage of surveys for employeees, which never help the work environment like they claim. People in my department are quitting all the time, a long tenured employee consist of 2 years. Management is horrible, employees are simply numbers and have little to no value. Retirement is not that good when compared to similar organizations. Lots of dissention in the group. Departments dont cross function well, mainly due to poor attitudes from being mistreated. It's ok though your proactive and employee advocate in hr is diligently working on improvement, which they have said for a decade. Use caution when applying here, granted there are some good departments, although very few. So much turnover says it all, not to mention other reviews.

May 10, 2019DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback, and we could not agree more with you that we have some fantastic people working at the Airport. As part of the Airport’s continuous listening strategy, our new strategic approach to employee engagement will provide leaders and teams with better action planning tools and best practices to transform the workplace together. While DFW Airport engagement levels have been historically high in many areas when compared to industry standards, we know that there are areas where improvement is warranted and are working with the leaders and departments to ensure that growth comes about. We appreciate your honest (though disappointing) feedback.

"Constant battle between "The haves" and "Have nots""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent opportunity at witnessing politics at there best and picking up skills not to become entangled in such activities. Great health insurance, yet pricey. Very stable and secure employer.

Cons

I have been working for the last 19 years at several employers in my lifetime thus far and I have never witnessed such hostile and general poor relationship between management and workers. The superiority complex that supervision all the way to the top have is off the chart. The Airport has a tuition reimbursement package which is good, however they do not have a good process for employees to promote into other job opportunities, therefore severely limiting any growth. A lot of bitter, and borderline angry employees to work with daily, I imagine this is from inadequate management not fostering a inclusive work environment. Executives receive very large bonuses and the "have nots" dont get much in return for they endure.

December 28, 2018DFW International Airport

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience here at DFW. We appreciate you taking your time to do so. We are committed to improving our benefits - just this year we contributed an additional $5 million to employee retirement plans and waved employee health care premiums for two months. If there is other feedback you would like to share we always encourage you to reach out to your HR Consultant directly in person or by phone.

"Only getting worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

I love many of my peers, they make the day a little brighter in such a dark hole.

Cons

Terrible management put in place from the top down. DFW apparently thinks the more management that is hired the problem will be solved. It is only exasperating the situation. Most of the hiring is done from the outside, hence limiting promotion. Micromanaging. Livewell penalty for not jumping through their hoops like a well trained dog. Very old style work environment, most are very stuck in their ways.

"DCC Department"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Lessons Learned on examples of unethical practices and behavior. Work environment is quite, due to fear and intimidation.

Cons

Department Leadership team lacks honesty, perpetuates a hostile work environment, and supports quid pro quo.

"Haters and Cheats"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Dallas, TX

Pros

Pension if hired more than ten years ago

Cons

Hostile work environment, discrimination and social bias.

Continue reading

"Everything is putrid here, very disturbing place to work. Shame it could be a great place"

Current Employee - Airfield Operations in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at DFW International Airport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very limited pros to working in such a place. I suppose the pay is slightly above average than many similar companies. Benefits are offered at a very premium price, however they are above what I am used to receiving. While superiors are absolutely horrendous many peers are really good people to work with.

Cons

Way too much backbiting created from a hostile work environment. Most people I work with despise coming to work and are always looking for other jobs. Superiors are not fit for the roles they maintain, they do not have a clue what they are doing, create a very hostile and negative environment for employees. Favoritism is very common and exceptions made for some. The process to promote is highly questionable, it is aimed at promoting favorites and not necessarily the most qualified (good ole boy system). I feel the airport is aware of some improvements needed but things just seem to be getting worse. I never had high blood pressure in my life until several months after starting here. Peers ask me where I work and I get a pitty look, apparently DFW has a well known reputation for not being a good place to work.

November 6, 2017Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’re disappointed to hear your employment experience has not been what we intended, and we would like to address some of your concerns. Our hiring practices are designed to hire the most qualified person for the job while ensuring a fair, consistent, and structured hiring process. We are in the process of enhancing our hiring practices for all positions at DFW and we will take your feedback into consideration. We know we still have work to do, and our commitment is to ensure a rewarding work environment for our employees. We appreciate your honesty and would like to learn more about the hostile and negative work environment so that we can address and correct any issues that may exist. Please feel free to email us at careers@dfwairport.com or talk to your human resource consultant.

"Don't waste your time at DFW"

Former Employee - Airport Board Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at DFW International Airport full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Moderate schedule flexibility Gym Parking garage Benefits are decent but at this point not much better/worse than the majority of other companies

Cons

Management severely lacking in skills needed to support DFW in being successful No opportunity for growth Hostile work environment Headquarters "open environment" is not appropriate for the type of work being done Seems to be no shortage of money for items that are flashy and all can see, but when there is a budget need for things that support the operations, the most basic functions, it's very difficult to get the support and resources needed to support an effective solution Good people are leaving constantly. The new hires have no idea what they've gotten into and a number of them leave fairly quickly as well. There is some real talent at DFW, yet for some reason it's unwilling to do the necessary management clean up to retain quality employees.

"Project Manager"

2.0

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at DFW International Airport

Pros

The airport offers Decent Benefits, onsite free gym access to a fairly nice facility complete with tennis, basketball and raquetball courts and vacation and sick time.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Disrespectful upper management. Ridiculous paper work to the point that it hinders the actual management of construction and design projects. Nepotism and inopproriate relationships add to the lack of seriousness within the department.

"Baggage support"

2.0
    Current Employee - Baggage Room Personnel in Dallas, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Fast paced and high intensity work environment

Cons

Limited opportunity for growth

Found 13 reviews