DHG Senior Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 1 Oct 2019

3.5
DHG CEO Matt Snow
Matt Snow

"I learned a great deal about general accounting but ..."

Senior Associate

I have been working at DHG

Pros

- flex schedule - great learning environment if you work with the right in-charges - during tax season catered meals on Saturdays - if you are lucky can expect a great balance of work in both attestation and tax worlds that can further your non-public opportunities in the future (be aware though where the need is at the time as you are pushed to that direction whether you like it or not)

Cons

- the mentoring-coaching program needs some serious improvements - high degree of favoritism in the various departments and jobs even when you haven't had a chance of proving yourself or even work with certain managers (it's absurd though feeling like in school) - the workload is crazy and if you are doing well expect more to do and more complex projects (sometimes humans need a break after working 50-60 hours... for several consecutive weeks and this is not even in tax season) I saw several comments about great benefits. I'm not sure about what one is talking. the 20 days vacation is actually PTO - this includes obviously sick, vacation and personal time off. It seems fantastic but when you are comparing it to working 60-70 hours for several months of the year (and by the way obviously you are not being compensated for overtime or weekends), it is not a lot at all and on top of that you have to make up the hours rather quickly - think about budgeted hours goals... and I also believe that the insurances offered are pretty standard too. 401K is Ok, at least we have it - have been working for couple years now and I still haven't seen a match...

Advice to Management

please listen to your employees not only to the favorite ones - some of the people we lost would have been great opportunities to the company and we let them go. also, I don't think some managers/partners should be in-charges - if cannot let them go, please provide them more soft skills training and the consumate professional training would be good for them as well (I learned a lot about myself and things to do and... not to do in general - it was a well-worthy training).

DHG2011-09-14

"Not what it once was"

Senior Tax Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at DHG

Pros

The office used to have a small firm feel where the employer cared for the employees; however, the firm has recently taken a different approach and is only going after larger clients, creating a big 4 feel.

Cons

As stated above, the firm no longer has a small firm feel where the employees are appreciated. The firms focus is on very large clients and the company is now leaving their smaller clients, clients who have been with the firm for years, behind.

Advice to Management

The leadership at Dixon Hughes needs to learn to communicate, there is a grave lack of communication between the leadership and everyone else.

DHG2011-02-08
  3. "Definitely worth referring!"

Senior Tax Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at DHG

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities at Dixon Hughes because the company is growing quickly. Overall, they do a great job in the recruiting and hiring process so the co-workers are great. The benefits are fantastic - the associates all start off with 4 weeks of vacation and great insurance! The management generally values a work/life balance and is willing to work with everyone on achieving it.

Cons

Sometimes it seems that recruiting new people is more important than retaining current employees. Because the company is growing so quickly, it does lose some of the individual attention and small firm atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Better communication would go a long way and be greatly appreciated.

DHG2009-01-06