DHG Senior Tax Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.1
DHG CEO Matt Snow
Matt Snow

"An OK place to work and start a career"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at DHG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work / life balance

Cons

A lot of office politics at the time and low pay relative to the position

DHG2014-12-02

"Changed since the merger"

Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Rockville, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at DHG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Okay pay. I worked with some great people including partners (all of whom were there when the firm was just Goodman & Company).

Cons

Ever since the merger with Dixon Hughes the firm became more and more like a Big Four. Our office worked with other regional offices a lot and since both offices were so different there were too many clashes and politics. Busy season used to be manageable but more recently the expectations for you to be there late were higher. Upper management is also very shady and hard to trust (regional and office managing... partners as well as human resource managers). The partners in the region can't even communicate with each other. Overall the more hours you put in the better you'll do. If thats your thing than I'd recommend DHG over a Big Four.

Advice to Management

Figure out what kind of firm you're trying to be and communicate more clear with all staff including partners. Don't offer flex schedules or any other work/life balance benefits if it is only going to get looked down on by upper management.

DHG2014-06-10

"Typical Public Accounting Firm"

Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at DHG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved the "Southern" culture of DHG, and I really liked the people I worked with - associates, managers, partners, support staff - everyone was great. At DHG you can experience the work and have the resources of a Big 4 firm without the Big 4 culture.

Cons

I saw very little reward for the extra hours and travel time I put in. The last year I was there, another associate and I had 500 more hours year-to-date than any other associate in our region. Both of got a cost of living raise/adjustment just like all of the other associates. Some appreciation in the form of a bonus or a slightly higher raise would have been nice. Ultimately, I left after working seven days... a week for eight months straight - a good portion of that involved travel. While my co-workers were great, I was definitely seeing too much of them.

Advice to Management

A defined bonus plan for associates who go above and beyond would be nice.

DHG2014-03-20

"Not what it once was"

Senior Tax Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at DHG

Pros

The office used to have a small firm feel where the employer cared for the employees; however, the firm has recently taken a different approach and is only going after larger clients, creating a big 4 feel.

Cons

As stated above, the firm no longer has a small firm feel where the employees are appreciated. The firms focus is on very large clients and the company is now leaving their smaller clients, clients who have been with the firm for years, behind.

Advice to Management

The leadership at Dixon Hughes needs to learn to communicate, there is a grave lack of communication between the leadership and everyone else.

DHG2011-02-08
  5. "Definitely worth referring!"

Senior Tax Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at DHG

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities at Dixon Hughes because the company is growing quickly. Overall, they do a great job in the recruiting and hiring process so the co-workers are great. The benefits are fantastic - the associates all start off with 4 weeks of vacation and great insurance! The management generally values a work/life balance and is willing to work with everyone on achieving it.

Cons

Sometimes it seems that recruiting new people is more important than retaining current employees. Because the company is growing so quickly, it does lose some of the individual attention and small firm atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Better communication would go a long way and be greatly appreciated.

DHG2009-01-06