DaDa Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Hui Zhi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The ease of being able to work from home with wonderful students is a huge bonus" (in 81 reviews)

• "In less than ONE week I had over 20 Regular Students that I see every week" (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • "Might not have classes for your contracted hours (but get paid half rate during these hours)" (in 21 reviews)

• "You are required to enter class a minute before it starts but only have two minutes between classes" (in 10 reviews)

"Part-time online English language teacher"

I have been working at DaDa part-time

Pros

-Good salary and opportunity for a pay rise every 12 months.
    -Opportunity to get a teaching abroad qualification paid for.
    -Work in comfort of home
    -One on one teaching with students
    -Get regular students quickly
    -Paid half rate if no students, so never not paid.
    -The lesson material is all prepared for you
    -The Dada software for classes runs smoothly and is good
    -There is IT help available at all times during class and they respond really quickly
    -It's an enjoyable job and I actually do get job satisfaction from this. They employed me, talked me through the interview process and are actually pleasant to work for.

Cons

-You can only work 15 hours to begin with (this wasn't an issue for me at all but is something to bear in mind for those wishing to earn more money)
    -You may get a student who doesn't really want to learn (but this is universal and quite rare with regular students)
    -It takes time to adapt to the job, using the camera just right, learning the students, knowing how to make lessons fun, and learning how to manage time as there is only two minutes between classes to quickly switch to the next one. However all of these things come quickly, it is not really a con but something to be prepared for.

Advice to Management

I love your ethos for making learning fun and enjoyable for students. Your training videos do help to explain this. I could maybe have done with a handbook (a small handbook) that I could download explaining how to use your system, showing where things were and what they meant, just so I could refer to it and learn it well before I started working. The talk through was very good though and I got a handle on it all quite quickly.

"Fun ESL Teaching"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in London, England
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in London, England

I have been working at DaDa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great students who often already know some English. Good clear curriculum and teaching materials. Work from home

Cons

Lots of penalties for taking more than 2 days off a month for any reason including booked holidays. Half pay if no lessons are booked during contract hours

3. "Not sure if this will work out for me"

I have been working at DaDa part-time

Pros

great kids
    work from home
    get paid on standby

Cons

can't easily change schedule or get time off
    penalties for being late to class, which seems very hard not to do because you only get 2 minutes break between classes and it is not enough to close up the current student, fill out their report, and open the next class.
    No time to preview the coursework. Classes can be sprung on you with no notice and you are expected to expand on material and use props

Advice to Management

We need time to preview the courseware in order to give the best to the student.

We need 10 minutes between classes to write the class report for the current student and prepare for the next class.

We don't want to feel like there are penalties for absolutely everything - we are not naughty kids, we are professional adults.

"Great for travel and flexibility but not a great stable job"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at DaDa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home
    Short class time which is great as kids do not get bored or tired
    Materials all provided
    Bonuses

Cons

Deductions for things such as technical errors or taking leave
    I received my pay on time always but not bonuses
    Management not organised
    MASSIVE penalty for giving in notice less than a month.

"Baptism of Fire but great students (mostly)"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at DaDa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was really quick and I was offered a contract within half an hour of my demo lesson.

Lessons are booked for you, and I was teaching students on my first day in.

Working from home and setting your own hours is great, and gives you more freedom than working within a company/school building.

You are allowed (in fact encouraged) to use their software as you choose. Most teachers have their own style of teaching, so being able to dip in and out; skip slides etc. is great - it's better for the students too.

I've just finished my first week, and although a steep learning curve (more in Cons), I am enjoying it.

Cons

The 'training' is no more than a whizz through the classroom software, and there is no opportunity for you to practice using it until you are in class with a student. Instead, there is a whole load of training videos which you must watch, and to be honest, very few of them were of much use.

My first notification of my students, and of the lesson I was teaching, came in the early hours of the morning, while I was asleep - my first lesson was at 11 a.m. No sooner had I sorted resources for these first 3 students, all of a sudden another 2 appeared. They were mostly short trial lessons, and quite a few either cancelled or just didn't show up, so my resources weren't used! It was manic - students cancelling, new ones appearing continuously throughout my 3-hour slot.

While having tech issues, I could not access ANY support, and this resulted in my being booted out of the system during a lesson. I was then late for my next student (which I will likely be penalised for). I think their system was overloaded, as there were no issues with my computer or internet connection. However, they are trying to say it was my internet connection!!

As yet, I don't seem to have a person of contact, so am using the general email address. I hope this resolves soon.

A couple of my students have been very young (4 years old) and are simply not suited to this kind of learning. I spent one trial lesson looking at a child's foot blocking his webcam, with him unable to even repeat simple words. Another 4-year-old child spent more time running around and bringing various toys to show me. It seemed rather pointless when they are unable to engage.

Advice to Management

After training new employees to use the software, it would be great if you could allow us access to the classroom and the software when we are not checked in for teaching. It would help a lot.

Consider rejecting children who are far too young and not ready to learn this way. It is frustrating for teachers and the children are not getting anything useful from it.

Make it easier to contact a member of the DaDa team when teachers need help or have an enquiry.

Give new teachers some feedback.

"Good so far"

I have been working at DaDa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been working for the company for a week, and everything seems okay so far, here are some of the pros I have found so far.
    1) Hiring process is quick and once you have your demo class I was sent a email withing 5 mins offering me the job
    2) the pay is quite good, i havent a lot of teaching experience but i do have several degrees, the demo class was my first online teaching experience and i was offered 120rmb which i thought was very good
    3) my coordinator is very good and always contacts me back within 24 hours. If i have any questions she answers then.
    4) The students and parents are really nice, polite and sweet!
    5) YOU CAN WORK AT HOME! which is great for me as i have a young son.
    6) The IT are very helpful if your student doesnt show up

Cons

I havent really got many cons as i have had a really good experience so far.
    1) The course content seems a little short, I did find it difficult to teach a student who knew no English A B C D when i only had 6 slides to teach from and had to make it last 30 minutes
     2) I was unaware that there was a probation period as i was not told in my contract or prior to signing it, So I am therefore still unaware of how long my probation lasts for and when I will start getting regular students.

Advice to Management

Just make people aware that there is a probation period and explain how long it is for, as im sure there are other teachers who are a little confused. If the students understand very little english perhaps make the course material a little more interactive to encourage further learning.

DaDa Response

10 Jul 2018 – Marketing Manager

Hello teacher, thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review, and welcome to DaDa! We are glad you are enjoying teaching with us. Just to clarify, there is actually no probation period... More

"DaDaABC Teacher"

I have been working at DaDa part-time

Pros

Good pay, and can work from home and abroad.

Cons

Not really, so far so good.

8. "Nice company to work for but lack of communication lets it down."

Current Employee - English Teacher
    Current Employee - English Teacher

I have been working at DaDa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-The job is awesome. I love it.
    -Outside of contracted hours, you can choose your own additional hours on a weekly basis.
    -Lots of bonuses and incentives available.
    -Pay is fair.

Cons

-We accrue bonus points but have no idea why. We were told we would be able to spend them from March. It's now almost June and we still have no idea.

-Bonuses can be lost for seemingly insignificant reasons. IT fault on their end? It's gone.

-The biggest con by far is communication. There seems to be none at Dada. Don't expect to hear of any changes to the system or courseware in advance. Talking to someone at the company just became even harder since the removal of co-teachers. There seems to be a bit of a gulf between the head office in China and their teachers.

Advice to Management

Improve your communication with teachers. Tell them what is happening and make it easier for them to contact you when they have problems.

"A company that doesn't protect their students or teachers"

Current Employee - Teacher in London, England
    Current Employee - Teacher in London, England

I have been working at DaDa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You can work from home and make good money on the side, which is convenient.
    - At the beginning very helpful and understanding. (Now not so much)
    - My regular students are great!

Cons

This is going to be a long review so bare with me.
    When I first started I had nothing but glowing things to say about the company. I had an co-ordinator on WeChat or Skype to help me and assist me when I had problems. Dada stopped this service in favour of changing it with a CS button on their website. From there, things started to go down hill.
    CS staff often had no clue what I was saying to them, would never answer or reply to questions or simple tell me to 'deal with it'. Issues raised about salary were passed on to someone via email and then just ignored.
    Dada use to have money incentives for teachers for not taking time off, arriving early into class and having no complaints made against them by parents. Dada scraped this money incentive for 'reward points' which don't have any rewards. From October this reward system has been 'coming soon', to the point where on the Facebook group it is now a meme for new employees to ask 'What are these points for? and how can I spend them?'.
    Dada is quick to take away classes from you or money away from you if you don't make your background look nice, display the Dada logo, wear a blue shirt or have a smile at all times. I tried to request for money back for the items I bought and again, have received nothing back from their CS staff or via email.
    Dada has zero tolerance when it comes to time off. Dada will charge you 10% of your total wage if you take more than 2 days off. I, myself, had a family tragedy where I had to take 4-5 days off and was met with hostility and an unsympathetic view of my situation. I was told 'the parents will not like it if you take so much time off'. What I thing to say to someone who is grieving a loss.
    But for me the most disturbing thing is Dada's attitude when it comes to their students on camera.
    I have witnessed - several times - children being beaten in front of me by their parents. Dada's advice is to contact the CS staff, if by some miracle they respond to me, they have told me to 'deal with it' and carry on teaching and that there is nothing they can do. When this issued is raised on their Facebook group quite frequently and it is quickly taken down or justified as 'that is just the way things are in China'.
    I have even had instances during my lesson of NUDE children. The first time it happened I was completely shocked and actually logged out of the classroom. I told the CS (as advised), they said they would call the parent to put some clothes on. I logged back in and the child was still naked and sitting in front of the webcam. Again I was told to 'carry of the lesson' because 'the parent did not agree to put clothes on their child'.
    I tried to raise this issue and AGAIN was met with hostility and attitude of 'that's just the way things are here'.

Dada has no problems with nude children and beating on webcams but will actively take classes away from teachers without blue students and 'interesting' classrooms. This company needs to get it's priorities straight!

I will not be resigning my contract.

Advice to Management

Dada Management:
    I implore you to take action with the issues I have raised about nudity and abuse over webcam.
    You may think that 'This is China' or 'this is just the way it is over here' but your teachers are from Western countries and have to abide by Western laws. This means teachers can be JAILED for having child nudity or abuse images on their computer.
    Furthermore child abuse is WRONG, and it doesn't matter what country or culture you are from, your company should be taking steps to protect children rather than telling teachers 'This is China and this is what happens here'.

"Genuine Review"

Current Employee - Teacher in Derby, England
    Current Employee - Teacher in Derby, England

I have been working at DaDa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for Dada for four months now and in that time my contracted hours were filled by regular students within a month. I also have the option to do part time hours at weekends and for an at home job the pay is relatively high.

I would recommend Dadaabc to people with a genuine passion and energy to teach children English, you have to act like a kids TV presenter at times but you get used to it very quickly.
    This isn't the job for everyone and for the first month I was a bit up and down sometimes but I've settled down now and find the work fantastic.
    The children are mostly fantastic, it's always a mixed bag but the children are normally very respectful.
    The software is very good, I have a mobile phone app alongside my desktop app and can check on my classes whenever.
    I've yet to have issues with pay, I go via a UK bank and get my pay by the 15th every month.
    Overall I'm very happy with Dadaabc, they've treated me well, filled my schedule and pay me accordingly.

Cons

There is no holiday pay except for a paltry amount after you work for a year. The contracted hours you signed up for you will be expected to work every week, commitment is required.
    My coordinator is fantastic but IT support have a very low understanding of English.
    Communication on changes can be non-existent, a major change can be announced on the day, be ready to adapt!
    Be ready to expand upon the course ware, sometimes you can be given three pages, you will need to be ready to assess your childs skill and expand appropriately, it can be difficult and this is something most people (including me) find very hard at first.

Advice to Management

A system to earn paid holidays would go a long way, I could commit to more contracted time if I knew time off was possible.

DaDa Response

27 Apr 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for your review and for enjoying your DaDaABC students and the platform!

We are glad your schedule filled quickly and that you have experience teaching a rainbow of students. From... More