DaDaABC Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Hui Zhi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The ease of being able to work from home with wonderful students is a huge bonus (in 67 reviews)

• In less than ONE week I had over 20 Regular Students that I see every week (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • There's almost no cons that I can think of (in 14 reviews)

• I am not sure the amount I am getting paid every month is the reflection of my work (in 12 reviews)

1. "Online English teacher part time"

I have been working at DaDaABC part-time

Pros

They provide coursework and session plans

Cons

Can't think of any at all

"Genuine Review"

Current Employee - Teacher in Derby, England
    Current Employee - Teacher in Derby, England

I have been working at DaDaABC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for Dada for four months now and in that time my contracted hours were filled by regular students within a month. I also have the option to do part time hours at weekends and for an at home job the pay is relatively high.

I would recommend Dadaabc to people with a genuine passion and energy to teach children English, you have to act like a kids TV presenter at times but you get used to it very quickly.
    This isn't the job for everyone and for the first month I was a bit up and down sometimes but I've settled down now and find the work fantastic.
    The children are mostly fantastic, it's always a mixed bag but the children are normally very respectful.
    The software is very good, I have a mobile phone app alongside my desktop app and can check on my classes whenever.
    I've yet to have issues with pay, I go via a UK bank and get my pay by the 15th every month.
    Overall I'm very happy with Dadaabc, they've treated me well, filled my schedule and pay me accordingly.

Cons

There is no holiday pay except for a paltry amount after you work for a year. The contracted hours you signed up for you will be expected to work every week, commitment is required.
    My coordinator is fantastic but IT support have a very low understanding of English.
    Communication on changes can be non-existent, a major change can be announced on the day, be ready to adapt!
    Be ready to expand upon the course ware, sometimes you can be given three pages, you will need to be ready to assess your childs skill and expand appropriately, it can be difficult and this is something most people (including me) find very hard at first.

Advice to Management

A system to earn paid holidays would go a long way, I could commit to more contracted time if I knew time off was possible.

DaDaABC Response

27 Apr 2018 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for your review and for enjoying your DaDaABC students and the platform!

We are glad your schedule filled quickly and that you have experience teaching a rainbow of students. From... More

"Disappointing."

Former Employee - English Teacher in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at DaDaABC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lovely kids who really enjoy learning and communicating with teachers from the other side of the world. Don’t need to plan lessons. Uniform is simply a sky blue top.

Cons

Terrible material which is full of errors and confusing, irrelevant lessons for the kids.
    Constant IT problems.
    Parents are encouraged to sit in on classes and answer for the students making the lesson worthless.
    Coordinators rarely respond to questions and if they do it’s just a ‘Please wait’ with no follow up.
    No payslip to allow you to see if you have been paid properly or fined for some reason (which is common).
    Daily class reports and homework required which are done outside of work hours so unpaid. This can add up to a lot of hours if you do a lot of classes.
    You are required to enter class a minute before it starts but only have two minutes between classes. This can mean hours of being unable to leave the computer.
    They claim to be flexible regarding hours but deviating from the hours you set when you sign up is made very difficult and there are penalties if you ask for more than one day off a month.
    They advertise a higher wage than you will receive regardless of experience. You are forbidden from discussing wage to hide this.
    When Dada makes mistakes such as forgetting that you have requested leave they will still give you the penalty for missing classes. EVEN if you told them several times that you still have scheduled classes on this day and you have leave.
    IT don’t speak very good English which leads to misunderstandings and just generally more stressful interactions.

There are better companies that offer similar roles.

Advice to Management

Utilise your teachers to improve the company. Plenty would love an hour a week to review course material and let you know what could be improved.
    Why only hire teachers with degrees and then only trust them with classes that a child could teach?
    Provide clear pay information.
    Be more flexible with hours and then we can commit to more classes.

"Not a good company to work for overall"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at DaDaABC part-time

Pros

Nice students some of the time, freedom to do own thing, no pressure to "perform" in lessons

Cons

So many I cannot list all. Main gripe is they hire you for amount of hours and never fill them all so you basically work for next to nothing, you have to be logged into your computer all the contracted hours even if you have no lessons. I have worked three months and still only have about ten percent of my schedule filled. Students disappear with no reason often minutes before a lesson. Coursework is boring and repetitive and contains spelling and grammar errors. There is no feedback given to teachers and it's impossible to get a longer than two days time off without a penalty. Do not answer emails and queries and seem to expect a doctors note even for a day off with illness... obviously have no idea how medical systems work in other countries. Rude staff who told me off for being late to a lesson when it only happened once and was a mistake. Absolutely no feedback given to teachers about how you are doing, no encouragement, nothing. Expected to do horrible trial classes with kids you've never met before with parents hovering in the background. Some of the children are miserable and uncooperative. Fear of missing classes due to penalties being imposed if you do.

Advice to Management

Don't promise a certain amount of hours to a teacher if in fact you cannot fill them. Allow more than two days off at a time. Don't inflict financial penalties on teachers you do not pay enough for this and we are not children, it is appauling. Please answer emails. Please give teachers encouragement and understand people sometimes get ill at last minute and for a short period and cannot get a doctors note!

"honest review"

Current Employee - DaDaABC Teacher in Briston, England
    Current Employee - DaDaABC Teacher in Briston, England

I have been working at DaDaABC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was quick to sign up and its great to work from home. The students are lovely and very keen to learn.

Cons

I honestly think some of the coursework is lacking. As a new teacher I expect more than 4 pages of basic words to fill a half an hour slot. This job requires the teacher to provide much their own input which takes time outside of being paid.
    They are very strict about time off and when you get paid there is no salary slip so you can't see exactly what you have been paid for OR if you have been fined!

Advice to Management

Please give more information in your salary so we can understand what we have been paid for.
    Some of the course work needs to be more comprehensive. 5-7 pages is not enough.

6. "Online English Teacher"

I have been working at DaDaABC part-time

Pros

I've only just been offered a contract, so I can only comment on the recruitment process thus far. That being said, they do seem very organised and professional.

Cons

I have no negatives to speak of as of the moment. The starting hourly rate they offered me was a little lower than I was hoping for, but I'm encouraged to read of other teachers who have been able to build up their salary over time. I am sure that I will also be able to do so.

"a frank and honest review.... by Frank"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at DaDaABC part-time

Pros

A nice company by and large.
    Most of the kids are cute and dedicated
    Not too difficult. Lesson plans are provided and no self marketing is required.
    Uniform is anything in a plain blue colour... this is fine by me.
    Expectations to be a white monkey are promote on the site, however in truth it is much more laid-back so long as you are enthusiastic enough and earnest.
    help for teachers has improved and if you have previous or similar experience then it shouldn't be problematic.
    Can work in your pants
    good for anyone that wants to make a little extra money from home.

Cons

Whilst not bad, hourly wage doesn't live up to its promise after money transfer charges/penalties and reliance on DaDa to provide work.
    Ridiculously strict regarding leaving notice for time off
    Required to provide 30 days notice upon leaving the job otherwise fined around 2000RMB.
    Not viable as a full time job. The first month or so you can't achieve more than 19.5 hours a week, which would at very best earn you around 900 pounds a month. ... at best. 800 would be more accurate. But then, you probably wouldn't also want to do it full time since there is only 2 minutes between each class and many classes extract a lot of energy. On a weekend I would do 3 hours and then 2 hours after a 2 hour break. This would be more than enough of a day's work!
    Also, you are required to fill out homework and assessment forms. This wasn't too difficult or time consuming for me, but unless you can write them out during class time (which you shouldn't) then you will have a lot stacked up at the end of the day and will need to complete them within 24 hours to guarantee pay (which if you do complete outside of teaching time, will be unpaid)
    Time difference! Because of this factor it is also hard to juggle a second job.
    Some students are annoying and you can't do much but smile and be patient. In light of this, it often feels like the teacher is secondary to the parents who are called 'the client'. This can sometimes result in a rather passive aggressive, yet polite message from DaDa giving you instructions on how to appease a parent's demand, without asking for the teacher's opinion or perspective first.
    Many students can't speak any English, so some knowledge of Mandarin is very useful. However, this did not necessarily grant me a higher pay and whilst it was stated that this is not necessary, in truth, it is. That is if you do want to face frustration. Frustration can often be a result of the 'courseware' lesson materials provided. Mostly these are useful and fairly well planned out, if not repetitive... especially when doing 'trial' classes for potential newbies, who will often receive the same type of courseware (how many ways can I make the alphabet interesting to teach?!) But whilst this is a potential issue in any teaching situation, in some of the courseware they really leave a lot of work for you. For example, when you have a 10page lesson that needs to last half an hour and a page just contains a couple of pictures, well that's then your skills are put to the test!

"Refusal to Write a Reference for Future Employers & Unsuitable Courseware for Students"

Current Employee - English Language Teacher in London, England
    Current Employee - English Language Teacher in London, England

I have been working at DaDaABC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The children are lovely and they really enjoy their sessions and grow a lot, when the courseware is matched appropriately to their level, which is not always the case. The parents are lovely too and very appreciative of the work. All of the joy and all of the support has come via the students and their parents.

Cons

I have enjoyed my one-to-one work with students when they have been on courseware that is appropriate for their level, however that is often not the case with work being too easy, or worse, far too difficult. In such instances, I have had to complain 6 times to ask for courseware to match the child's level, so they have a chance to enjoy their lessons and succeed, but nothing changes. It's as if the courseware simply aligns with chronological age, rather than a student's actual level and 10 years worth of experience in education counts for nothing when it comes to advising staff that courseware is unsuitable for a student. It's difficult to watch a student suffer week after week, especially when the lesson just becomes the teacher saying a sentence for the student to repeat it word for word, because the sentences are too advanced and the comprehension isn't there, nor is knowledge of even the most basic high frequency words, or sound-letter blends.

Having relocated to a different and more expensive country, I have had to reduce my DaDa hours in favour of going back to classroom work to receive 2 - 3 times more per hour. The staff at DaDa have refused to write a reference. My new employers have sent several emails, all of which have been ignored. Most recently they sent another follow up email to be told, 'I am sorry but references are not our responsibility.' I am at a loss to understand the norms of operation in China, but I wrote this to warn anyone who may want to undertake other work after working for DaDa, they will refuse to write a reference and that may create challenges for obtaining future employment, should you decide to do anything other than teach for DaDaABC.

When it comes to technical difficulties, I've had lessons where every time I speak it echoes to the point where I can't hear myself and lessons where I can't hear the student either and I am still expected to teach for 30 minutes. In such instances, IT have simply said, 'Just keep the student happy' and 'Do your best,' as if all I have to do is keep the student online for 30 minutes and that's my job done. I do think happy students are a priority, but teaching and learning is the #1 priority and it becomes impossible when I can't hear my student, or I can't speak because there's a feedback loop.

Advice to Management

Learn about pre-testing and post-testing for students, so they are placed on courseware that actually matches their level and allows them to work and grow successfully within their zone of proximal development.

Understand the nature of the working world outside of China and prepare to write references for current and former employees where necessary.

Provide a tutorial to parents and students before a student begins, so they know how the pens work and they know how the chat box works before they begin their first lesson.

"Awful Chinese company that hardly understand English and Do NOT pay their Staff the Hours they are owed."

I worked at DaDaABC full-time

Pros

Choose your own working hours.

Cons

Chase staff for money money after month, never get a reply to your concerns via email or skype, have staff make rude, petty, and snide remarks at you and take away all your students if you speak out of turn in any way. The deal here is- they pay you what they feel like paying and you don't argue. The material is also grammatically incorrect in many places such as "there is something about me I am knowing" and they will happily put a 1year old in front of the camera to make an extra buck even though a child of this age really cannot be taught via webcam.

Advice to Management

Employ Western staff to talk to your thousands of teachers, with the respect and courtesy they deserve.

"What an upbeat way to support yourself."

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Leeds, England

I have been working at DaDaABC part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having to engage little kids and keep them interested (singing, etc) actually makes you feel quite upbeat yourself! Good for your mental health on a gloomy day!
    As long as my top half is professional looking, my lower half can be in trackies and slippers!
    I get to work in the comfort of my own home.
    No commute.
    No extra expenses (aside from a few props initially) I already have a computer and internet!
    Civilised time difference with England/China
    Very decent part time rate.
    Lots of bonus opportunities.
    I am really enjoying it and hope that I can do it for a long time.

Cons

I started in the lead up to Chinese New Year, so I have had a substantial time on standby, which is half pay... but once I got allocated some regular students this has been less of an issue. I am looking forward to after their holidays and having a solid 3 hours of teaching each day.
    No allowance for taking a holiday. We are allowed 2 days off per month for any reason before we are penalised. I fully intend to be a reliable member of staff, but even so there will be times of the year where my family and I want to go somewhere or take some time off, as it stands, if I do so for more than 2 days, I will actually lose 10% of what I have earned for the month.

Advice to Management

There should be a provision for taking leave/holidays without incurring a penalty. I understand that you want to encourage reliability, but even reliable people need to take time off sometimes. Most of your workers come from countries where a certain amount of leave is given by employers, if another company offers a leave, you may lose workers to them. Also, it would be great if you encouraged us to take our computers and cables with us if we go on holidays and work remotely from our usual location. Obviously we will need to make sure the internet is fast enough and we can use a cable, but if we can do this, we could work while on holidays! Please make this possible soon!