DataStax Employee Reviews about "open source"

Updated 17 Dec 2020

3.9
DataStax CEO Chet Kapoor
Chet Kapoor
Pros
  • "We are actively engaged with the open source software community(in 26 reviews)

• "Most of us work from home but we collaborate a lot better than when I used to work in offices for other companies(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "You will compete against Cassandra open source(in 13 reviews)

• "New CEO is driving the company off a cliff(in 13 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "open source"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Energy + Strategy + Execution = Winning"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at DataStax full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Energy. This is the place if you want to be part of something - Strategy. The community and customers love the new strategy. Embracing open source has been a big accelerant - Execution. This is a great place to learn, thrive, and make money for execution-oriented salespeople. Sales management/sales culture is data-driven and collaborative.

Cons

This is a rocket ship - things are moving very fast. You've got to be ready to work hard and adapt as we grow

Continue reading

"Be cautious if joining in sales"

2.0
    Former Employee - ESM
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at DataStax full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The platform based on Cassandra is good and the company has implemented solid admin processes. HR, Vacation, Commission etc

Cons

Be cautious if joining in a sales role as the ESM/AVP, SVP turnover is eye watering. The product is solid but there is emergent and growing competition across open-source, NoSql and Graph and I'm not sure if the management recognises this. Whilst there are significant issues with marketing, lead generation etc the ESM's bear the brunt of the criticism by a sales leadership that is distant from the real world. The comm plan is average and the targets very high. Very poor hiring decisions have badly affected morale.

Continue reading

3. "Great C-Level Leadership & Team Play"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Data Architect in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

Amazing energy from new CEO is felt top down through all internal channels. A great product portfolio with a futureproof data platform. Open Source advocates working to make open source great again.

Cons

Small company, startup, rapid expansion (good & bad)

4. "Mine opinion"

4.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Data Architect in Paris

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

The company has changed a lot since last year New services, new products focusing more on Open Source area

Cons

Sometime speed is exhausting, meaning that you have too lmuch to handle

5. COVID-19

"Great peeps determined to tackle an ambitious plan"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at DataStax full-time

Pros

- Highly talented engineers, many with roots in the open source community, low egos and a tremendous desire to share; - Neither the newcomers, nor the senior employees are left without a clear action plan. There are multiple layers of expertise that will be happy to help. - Working from home; - Lots of sharing from leadership and management... that it got to the point where it's hard to keep up.

Cons

For bonding purposes, post Covid allow all remote employees to periodically meet their team members.

6. "Focus and Execution"

Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at DataStax full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of change and energy as we refocus on the open source community and embrace new technology. Going back to our roots to have a bigger impact on the IT industry. Distributed company that does with not have a glass ceiling for remote employees. Great brand name recognition in the industry and customers who want to see us succeed.

Cons

Still working to overcome some past missteps.

7. "A new era"

Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company's updated strategy and renewed commitment to open source are a welcome change. It feels like a small startup again, with less process and hierarchy. Exciting times with new product launches and more to come.

Cons

Change is hard and some talented people have moved on. But there's a lot of great talent coming on board as well.

8. COVID-19

"The Pros list is 4x the size of the Cons list. What else do you need to know?"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time for less than a year

Pros

Almost all of engineering, and much of the rest of the company, is remote. We're all accustomed to doing business that way. Because of that: * Everyone is good about remote-first attitudes. * Everyone remembers to mute when they're on group calls. * Recordings of meetings are usually posted the same day for those who couldn't attend for time zone reasons or any other reason. * The tools we select are optimized for remote, distributed, concurrent use. * Our primary product is a distributed database, and our distributed mindset carries over naturally. * We have employees all around the world. We are multinational, multicultural, and multilingual (English first, but there are several language-specific Slack channels). Whoever you are, and whatever part of the day you want to be your working hours, you'll fit in. * The COVID-19 pandemic didn't take ANY of our jobs. Also: * Communication from management is frequent and honest. * Everyone on the staff is excellent. Not a dud in the bunch! * New CEO has all the right skills and experience and is extremely focused. * Pay is excellent -- Silicon Valley salaries without Silicon Valley cost of living (unless you happen to live there!). Benefits are almost as excellent: stock options, great health insurance (including vision and dental) with several options to choose from, unlimited time off, life insurance, wellness reimbursements, etc. * There are random perks, too. Every few months, we get an email from someone in upper management telling us to take our family out to lunch or dinner and submit it as a company expense. * I haven't been through it yet, but I'm told the annual review process is lightweight and appropriate -- neither of which are terms I would apply to any of the review processes I've been subjected to at other companies over the years. * On my specific team, the work-life balance is great and everyone has been very understanding when I need to do literally anything not work related. * There are active, transparent efforts to measure and improve diversity. (Despite being multi-everything, we are predominantly white and male, just like the rest of the tech world. But we're aware and working on it!) * We are actively engaged with the open source software community. Coming from two decades of working on closed-source software, this is really nice. * Choose your own tools. The company will send you a laptop (you pick: Mac, Windows, Linux) and grant you local admin privileges. Install whatever software you want and need to get your job done. If it's commercial software, sometimes they have licenses on hand, other times you expense the purchase of a license for yourself. Either way, it's easy.

Cons

* The new CEO spent his first few months with the company (which coincided almost exactly with my own) reorganizing teams, laying off large swaths of people, etc. Communication about this process could have been better, and that made it scary, especially as a new employee. But it's over now and it feels like the changes he made were good ones. It feels like we are moving faster and that the org structure is better aligned with the work we need to do. * We have a good 401k plan, but there's no employer match. (yet? they always say it's being considered.) * I'm told that the work-life balance on some teams is less ideal. If you're interviewing, do your homework on this one! * Remote work isn't for everyone. It's on you to figure out if you can handle it.

Continue reading
  9. "All in on Open Source"

Current Employee - Principal Architect

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great tech, embrace of open source, solid managers, exciting clients, fantastic new leadership and vision. Freedom to world anywhere in the world. There's so much happening in Apache Cassandra now and its surrounding ecosystem. It's been in hiatus for a while while things stabilised and the community broaden amongst different companies. With the recent change of leadership many of the new Cassandra features and supporting tools that were private and/or proprietary and coming back to open source, making it an exciting time and DataStax the place to be.

Cons

You need discipline to be a remote worker. Perfect for some, not for others.

10. "I like where we're headed (now), tons of opportunities"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at DataStax full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are tons of opportunities to work on a bunch of different projects. Don't believe reviews that tell you otherwise. It's a startup, what you work on is only limited by your creativity and determination. Real opportunities to work on open-source and be involved in open-source communities. The pay and benefits are top notch. Work and life balance is good. Remote culture through and through. Lots of awesome new people coming onboard. Upper management is very transparent and willing to answer hard questions from literally anyone.

Cons

Some whiplash as we try new ideas. New CEO can be a bit harsh, but hearing the truth hurts. It just could be presented in a nicer way. Remote teams can create silos.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 English Reviews