Databricks Employee Reviews about "fast growing"

Updated 7 Dec 2020

4.6
Databricks CEO Ali Ghodsi
Ali Ghodsi
Pros
  • "The company is a really fast growing and has an amazing culture(in 18 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast and and the ceiling seems nonexistent(in 12 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "fast growing"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Wow - what a ride!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Databricks culture in EMEA is amazing. Whilst I knew I was joining a rocketship I did not fully appreciate the journey I was on. 6 months in, I have learnt loads, met amazing colleagues in a phenomenally fast growing team/region, exceeded my own expectations and won an award! You will work very hard here but you will also be surrounded by people who want you to be successful and will support you to get there.

Cons

If you are not at the top of your game, you will fall behind so be prepared to bring your best.

Continue reading
  2. "Great Company to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Salesforce Developer/Administrative in Bangalore

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice company to work for. Lot of learning Opportunity Career growth Fast growing Company

Cons

No Cons - So far, I have not encountered any cons. Would update, If I see any

3. "Culture, Career and Customers"

• Diversity & Inclusion

I have been working at Databricks full-time

Pros

Databricks is a great place to work. The product is amazing and the TAM is as big as any software company out there. I get the sense that Databricks really cares about employees in terms of well-being, career progression, and recognizing talent. There is a strong feeling amongst employees that Databricks is one-team, working towards a common goal. And that's the kind of place you want to be at.

Cons

Super fast growing so you need to work hard to keep up

4. "Top Notch Product & Product Team"

Current Employee - Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Best product on the market - Incredible growth over the last 6 years - Focused on future growth of the company - CEO itself is highly skilled so you can imagine for rest of the people

Cons

So far, I have nothing but positive things to say about Databricks. If you're looking to get into best company in the planet at a very fast growing startup, I highly recommend Databricks!!!!!

Continue reading
  5. "Rocketship and the best company I have ever worked for"

5.0

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is a really fast growing and has an amazing culture! The leadership is transparent, inspiring, authentic, and passionate. They really care about employees and values of customer focus and teamwork are lived in truly authentic ways.

Cons

Not all of the processes have scaled at the pace of growth but there is always focus on continuous improvement so I'm sure the organization will get there.

"Do not work here unless you can handle dirty office politics on a daily basis"

2.0

I worked at Databricks full-time

Pros

This is a fast growing company that will allow you to build up your career with challenging work that will force you to think on your feet. The company's top executives have also demonstrated that they care about their employees by providing generous compensation packages & benefits. In addition, integrity is something that the top executives will never compromise on. If something is profitable but also unethical, they will not even consider doing it, knowing that if the company does not have integrity, then nothing else matters. Also, CEO Ali Ghodsi is an easy person to get along with. He is not the type of CEO that just sits in his office all day and orders people around. He tries to get to know people by name and says hi whenever he passes you by. It may not seem like much, but a CEO showing a friendly and calm demeanor brings positive energy to the workplace. The same can be said for CFO Dave Conte, CMO Rick Schultz, Chief Revenue Officer Ron Gabrisko, Chief People Officer Amy Reichanadter, SVP of Product David Meyer, SVP of Finance John Winkenbach, VP of Legal Scott Starbird, and co-founder Reynold Xin.

Cons

As much as I enjoyed working for the company and as much as I appreciated the experience Databricks has given me, unfortunately it has been infiltrated by people (mostly middle managers) who are more concerned with office politics than with getting work done. I reported to a middle manager who was clearly out of his realm regarding his job duties and responsibilities. But he never listened to others and was more interested in playing office politics by blaming others, making up stories, and omitting facts to ensure that he looks good while others look worse than he already does. For example, he was inundated with the amount of work to be done and was constantly falling behind, so I offered my services to help alleviate the backlog. He declined, which caused the backlog to grow even more. But rather than asking for help or admitting he was wrong, he decided to put all the blame on everything that went wrong on my shoulders, despite the fact that I either (1) was not told that I had to do certain things or (2) that I did not have the proper access to certain systems that will allow me to do certain tasks. He also told other departments that I was not a team player and that I did not care about my job. He then issued threats while continuing to hammer down the idea that everything was my fault and nothing was his fault. As a result of the actions of this middle manager, some employees in the other departments zeroed in on me as the culprit for some of the things that went wrong on their end. The only things that saved me from a complete ruin to my reputation at the company were the (1) several positive relationships I built with a lot of employees there, both from within my department and with other departments, (2) the fact that many executives and senior directors noticed that I demonstrated willingness to work weekends and nights to help catch up on work, and (3) the raises and the above average performance reviews from my previous managers. Just so you know, the same kind of dirty politics that I experienced also happened to a handful of other people in other departments. They dealt with a middle manager who is more interested in playing dirty office politics than with working towards the company's goals and objectives. With this toxic environment that I fell into, I felt that I could not work any longer in that capacity and decided to move on to my next opportunity. Life is too short to waste on working with toxic people, especially if a much better opportunity is around the corner.

Databricks Response

September 28, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear that you felt aligned to the work you were doing, as well as to our values and senior leadership. Equally, we appreciate you providing constructive feedback around what could be improved within our management. If you’re open to it, we would love to learn more about your experience. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss further.

"Great products, service, & job experience... proceed cautiously"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Read all of the existing Glassdoor reviews about rocketship growth, great opportunity for careers, and the rock solid leverage the company has in the data science industry. They are all true. The company is growing fast and and the ceiling seems nonexistent. If you are looking for a challenge and want to learn and enhance your Data science skills then this is the place to. be.

Cons

Read all of the negative reviews about lack of worklife balance, incompetent workforce management, narcissistic influencers. Do not be naive, this is also true. This job requires 24/7 engagement for success. Expect, be prepared for this, and you will thrive.

Databricks Response

October 4, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We have been introducing initiatives to continue to help improve the work-life balance including encouraging employees to take advantage of our unlimited time off policy which is applicable to San Francisco, as well as introducing events like “Bring your kids to work day” that encourage a work life blend. We are always looking to improve, and would love to hear more about your experience. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to provide any additional feedback.

8. "Fast Growing With A Soul"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

The technology is very powerful, the people are some of the most talented I've seen. Many of the early hires set the stage for really valuable efforts -- the level of business maturity is amazing for a company this young.

Cons

Definitely long hours due to lots to do. Some disorganization and knowledge spread via word-of-mouth. The office feels like a startup -- some duct tape holding things together. All standard for a fast-growing startup, and very minor.

Continue reading
  9. "Shaping the future at a great company!"

Current Employee - Art Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture of smart, funny, kind people. Growing fast, so there's the opportunity to shape and define processes and team. Work in a field that is bleeding-edge, exploding and important; Cloud/Data/AI.

Cons

If you're not into adapting to a fast=paced, constantly evolving market, than this company isn't for you. The growth is hyper-fast, and with that comes certain challenges that some might find overwhelming - others exhilarating.

10. "rocketship company"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Denver, CO

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture; fast growing company; cutting edge technologies; great place in market; the company double revenue twice in last 2 years, and is set to do the same this year; unique engineering talent - this team can do anything; whole global organization gets together once a year in California;

Cons

not yet profitable - all revenue is reinvested into growth; staff is set to almost double this year as well - so anything can change quickly - this is a good and in a way bad as organization structure continues to adjust

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 English Reviews