Databricks Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 26 Dec 2020

4.6
Databricks CEO Ali Ghodsi
Ali Ghodsi
Pros
  • "The company is a really fast growing and has an amazing culture(in 18 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast and and the ceiling seems nonexistent(in 12 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture. Great People. High potential start-up

Cons

growing pains of a start-up

Continue reading
  2. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Databricks has a great culture that empowers everyone to make valuable contributions. I feel my opinion is always valued and I have been given all the opportunities I want to learn and grow. It’s a fast paced company, and it feels like we make a lot of impact on our customers.

Cons

I think it’s just some typical growing pains with a startup: sometimes longer work days and some disorganization. But these are getting better all the time.

Continue reading

3. "One of the best startups to be a part of."

Current Employee - Resident Solutions Architect in Denver, CO

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Outstanding culture, even with WFH * Management communication is frequent and transparent. It's refreshing. * Excellent long-term outlook for the company * Competitive comp and benefits * Work with incredibly intelligent and passionate coworkers

Cons

* Lack of clarity on IPO timeline (expected, somewhat) * Growing pains coming with the startup => public company * No 401k match

Continue reading

"Great Product, Culture Trending Negative for Customer Facing Teams"

Current Employee - Customer Facing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Databricks is powering the Data and AI revolution. Our products are big value-adds for customers. We have many household brands, governmental agencies, and small businesses using our products. Company has grown from 200 to 1400+ in just 4 years. Decent benefits, decent pay.

Cons

I am on a customer-facing team. As the company has grown from the 200-300 size 3 yrs ago to the current 1400+, we've added multiple layers of middle management. Many of these middle managers are from other companies of questionable success. When we do this, we risk bringing the culture and practices of these companies into our doors... And in positions of management, the culture effects are amplified. Every year, our practices and culture shifts (growing pains) and we add more red-tape. Growth is great, but within the customer-facing teams we promoted some ICs to first-time manager roles, added layers of reporting requirements on teams, and imported a ton of managers from outside. There has been more toxicity coming from the Sales team lately; if people in Sales have a complaint about your work they might just throw you under a bus instead of working it out with you. One sales rep told me a lot of reps are frustrated with the recent flood of Splunk alumni into our ranks. We hired some Splunk leaders a while back, and they brought in Splunkers by the busload. Some of the leaders are so-so. Some managers also don't protect their directs. They'll judge their directs based on feedback from folks from other teams, and won't defend the actions of their direct or bother investigating for context and jump to conclusions. Ben Howoritz (one of our investors) says many companies struggle to translate stated cultural values into actual practice. Old Databricks used to have great alignment on culture throughout the company, but New Databricks seems to be struggling with it. We also just got our internal culture survey results back and our work/life balance score and compensation scores were low across much of the company. Within my team I've heard a lot of folks complain about micromanagement and general overwork. There is a lot more discontent amongst the teams than it seems on the outside.

Databricks Response

September 28, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We understand that leadership and team culture make a big difference in an employee’s experience. As we continue to scale, it is our top priority to create an environment where employees feel empowered to do their best work. We would love to discuss any other feedback you may have and how we can improve. If you are open to it, please feel free to contact me directly to chat further.

"Engaging Work, Great People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- People are not only incredibly smart, but also extremely enjoyable to work with! - Interesting problems across engineering helps keep work engaging and raise personal value - Leadership very transparent, no psychological corporate BS

Cons

- Lot of work to do, hiring like crazy but new stuff still pops up - Growing pains, scaling out engineering is difficult

6. "Super talented and motivated team"

Current Employee - Curriculum Developer

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talented team, focused leadership, always learning, commitment to open source

Cons

Growing pains, need more formal processes as growth continues

7. "One Of The Fastest Growing SaaS Companies Ever"

Current Employee - Customer Success Engineer

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Databricks may have the greatest combination of technical talent ever assembled. The company's goals and collaborative culture trickle down to all employees like its law. Performance reviews are every 6 months(biannually) so you can grow and be rewarded quickly within the company. If you like to travel there will be opportunities to do so. It's also unbelievable how the company is able to keep the hiring talent bar high while growing at such a fast rate. Our list of clients is as extensive as it is impressive no matter the industry. All businesses are trying to understand their data to make better decisions. Databricks is the leader in making this possible.

Cons

- Typical startup growing pains due to rapid growth - Constant internal change to the organization, strategy and messaging can lead to confusion -Work/Life balance can be a challenge depending on client deadlines -Self Paced Training needs improvement -No single source of truth to learn material for spark certification(s)

Continue reading
  8. "Fast growing SaaS company in history"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product. Founders are dedicated to their original vision. Extremely smart colleagues Good money A potential to be one of techs most valuable company

Cons

Scaling really fast so might have some growing pains

9. "Teamwork makes the dream work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time

Pros

ONE TEAM culture where collaboration is high and employees help one another succeed. Welcoming and inclusive environment

Cons

A few growing pains as you’d expect for a company doubling in size — but running out of space for desks, for example, are nice problems to have!

"High growth and impactful company that is changing the world"

Current Employee - Director of Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of opportunity, the company is growing like wildfire and people are excited about the upside. Lots of impactful projects to take on and create a lasting mark in this organization. Super bright people, including many from the top 10 Enterprise B2B IPOs in the last decade are helping drive the future of this organization. Fantastic benefits, especially healthcare plans.

Cons

High growth means there's a constantly a need for more space. New office coming soon! There are some growing pains but leadership is trying to address as soon as they are surfaced.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 English Reviews