Databricks Employee Reviews about "open source"

Updated 9 Nov 2020

4.6
Databricks CEO Ali Ghodsi
Ali Ghodsi
Pros
  • "The company is a really fast growing and has an amazing culture(in 18 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast and and the ceiling seems nonexistent(in 12 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "open source"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Best possible start to career in tech"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in London, England

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Some of the most talented and collaborative people I've ever met -Led by a really great exec team, that stay true to the community that made the product successful - maintaining our commitment to the open-source community with every product we release -An amazing product that only gets better with time. When we work with companies that believe in the product, the benefits are unimaginable. -Starting as an SDR, there is a clear understanding that the company will help you on your career path beyond that role. -Some amazing perks that I still can't believe exist.

Cons

-Not enough women/diversity in leadership. I see this changing over the course of the next year, and the Diversity & Inclusion team is currently doing a really great job. -Sometimes not enough transparency. Definitely better than bigger tech companies, but sometimes we're expected to accept changes without enough clarification.

2. "An amazing place to foster your career and learn from the best!"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Work alongside industry leaders in a highly technical and competitive space - Lots of opportunities to contribute to open source software - Very competitive compensation

Cons

- Everyone here is brilliant and a go-getter. You need to work really hard to stand out from the crowd.

3. "Super talented and motivated team"

Current Employee - Curriculum Developer

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talented team, focused leadership, always learning, commitment to open source

Cons

Growing pains, need more formal processes as growth continues

4. "Come for the innovation, stay for the impact"

Current Employee - Field Engineering Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Databricks is on its way to becoming one of the iconic software companies which mark this century. Our enterprise grade Unified Data Analytics Platform is a market leader for next generation distributed computing, big data, and AI. We deliver a friction free devops environment, purpose built to break down silos between data engineers, data scientists, and business analysts, with a security first approach to all features including access to compute and data. We have shaped the open source ecosystem through Spark, Delta Lake, MLflow, and Koalas. And we are just getting started!

Cons

Databricks is not for everyone. Whoever joins must have a "we over me" mentality; otherwise, that individual will be misfit with the wider cultural norms. This is only a negative for those who are looking for something else.

5. "Awesome trajectory, great community"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people that make up the Databricks community, both within and outside engineering, are the most talented, caring, and humble that I have ever worked with. Everyone is incredibly smart but there is not a trace of ego in the company -- making it a great place to learn, grow, and make an impact. In addition, the company's original 3 bets -- cloud, open source, and AI -- are paying off big time. Databricks simply has by far the best product out there for unified data science and AI and we believe the best is yet to come. There's ample room in the market for the company to grow several orders of magnitude bigger -- every successful organization will be AI-driven in the next ten years, so everyone is a potential customer -- which is why it is still as exciting and motivating to work here even after 5 years of unprecedented growth. Last, but not least, the unified analytics platform we are building is at the forefront of technology innovation, and Databricks challenges engineers to innovate in everything from distributed systems, security engineering, machine learning, and user experience.

Cons

Databricks does not tolerate "brilliant jerks." We've had our share of really smart engineers that had to do things "their way or the highway." Well, those folks took the highway. If you can't work well in a team and occasionally disagree and commit to supporting directions other than your own, Databricks isn't for you. We all believe in sacrificing a little bit for each other here, which is why it is such a great community to work with.

Continue reading
  6. "Rocketship dream company."

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Best place in my 20 years in the professional workforce. - Founders and leaders hold high standards through noble values and humility. - Culture of collaboration, transparency, and dedication. Also focused on equality and inclusion. - Best cloud-native Data Science Platform in the World, based on open-source for Advanced Analytics. - Growing in Data Lakes and Data Warehouse space by helping customers finally gain reliability and performance from their prior investments in Big Data. - Employees and partners enable customers to make a real impact in their field. Bonus for Public Sector team: Best VP in the business - and hardest-working Federal GM - they will help you succeed!

Cons

No issues as long as one possesses #Grit. It’s fast-paced and exciting, so understand you’re joining the most amazing start-up you could imagine. No room for egos and be ready to “own it”.

Continue reading

"Great place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Databricks full-time

Pros

Smart, collaborative coworkers Engineering driven company Leadership team receptive to feedback, cares about building healthy culture Fun place to work - happy hour, game night, team events, etc are active Work is pretty interesting Solid engineering practices, good balance between shipping and quality Tech stack is pretty modern, work with lots of open-source technologies

Cons

Good brand, but as a newer enterprise data company, not as widely known as a consumer brand like Apple

Continue reading

"Great learning opportunity for yuppies"

4.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Young engineering culture, lots of smart people from good schools - Engineers very open to new, blazing edge technologies = lots of stuff to learn - General emphasis on transparency and collaboration - Everyone is motivated towards a common goal - Plenty of opportunities to reach out to the open source community / give talks etc. - Leadership is super tech-savvy and accessible, especially to the engineers - People are generally super cool

Cons

- This basically becomes your life. You're expected to answer calls and fix things after hours even if you're not technically the person on-call. Engineers here talk and think about their jobs after hours, on weekends, on vacations etc. If you're not part of this almost-religious culture then you probably won't be promoted. - Engineers are focused more on the implementation than on the user interface. We have UX people but they generally don't chime in on every single feature. Time and again I've been shocked at how frustrating it is to use our own product.

"Hiring the shadiest people in the bay"

1.0

I have been working at Databricks

Pros

The product brought me here. I like the direction of the company. I like the position for any type of open source era that we may be heading towards.

Cons

I'm really getting a bad feeling about this company with the people they hired on. No detailed check into their history/references. This is a tight nit community in the tech industry and word gets around fast. I don't know if management ignored any rumors or just didn't hear but probably too late. I have heard some of the people that have come here recently have been large contributors to declining cultures at their previous employers and have been jumping around from company to company very frequently.

Databricks Response

October 7, 2016Senior Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you feel this way. One of our recruiting philosophies is to do our due diligence with anyone we hire. We evaluate each candidate thoroughly. Each candidate meets 4 or more Brick-sters and we require references from every candidate we extend an offer to. Being the start-up that we are, we understand our process is not bullet proof and we can get better. Unfortunately, we're going to have some misses as we develop and grow as a company. We will learn from our mistakes and do our best to not duplicate them.

"Reinventing big data processing"

Databricks Solutions Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at Databricks

Pros

* Smart and dedicated team with great mix of academia/research and industry experience * Taking the best of research and converting it to industrial strength, secure, scalable product * Great dynamic start-up environment with wonderful perks/benefits in beautiful setting in downtown San Francisco (catered lunches, pool table, table tennis, free snacks, frequent presentations, team outings...) * Learn all about one of the hottest big data frameworks (Apache Spark) and the cloud-hosted managed Databricks Spark environment. Technologies: Apache Spark, AWS (e.g. S3, Redshift), big data processing/storage, machine learning, graph processing, streaming. Access to Databricks demo environment and AWS dev tier. * Solid product in high demand backed by well-known venture capitalists in tremendous growth mode but still good work-life balance. * Access to some great open source committers and thought leaders like Matei Zaharia, Michael Armbrust, Tathagata “TD” Das and Reynold Xin.

Cons

* If working remotely from East Coast: 3 hour time difference and long cross-country flight with less access to the company HQ culture in SF. I am leaving to join a great local software development firm with short commute and just being part of a wonderful team. If I lived or could relocate to SF, Databricks would be one of my top choices of employers and I can only recommend it.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 English Reviews