DeepMind Reviews

Current Employee

Great workplace

12 Apr 2021 - Research Scientist in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

highly recognized and ambitious company

Cons

fast growing, perhaps slightly uncertain future business model

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I have arrived at the company I will retire from.

4 Mar 2021 - Senior Staff Engineer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

* DeepMind's laser focus on its long-term ambitious AGI mission makes it feel like a genuine moonshot. * DeepMind values include "Kind" and "Collaborative", and these (along with other 3 values) are taken very seriously. * High standard for good management, and amazing support for managers to learn and grow. Fantastic partnerships across all roles -- scientists, engineers, PgX, People and Culture, ops -- make all projects feel like true team efforts. * The internal research presentations make me feel like I'm living in a dream. My coworkers are amazingly talented and we're working in an amazing world of AI. * After moving to London my starting pay was a fair chunk below my Silicon Valley paycheck. However, the pay and benefits have grown steadily and I feel like I am fairly rewarded.

Cons

* London (headquarters) is an amazing city, but giant cities aren't everyone. * We are all still working to address a culture of trying to make things perfect before sharing them, a bad habit we have which reduces our iterative improvement rate. * The enormous learning curve and amazing coworkers can sometimes leave me feeling like I'm the imposter. This is a well-known issue and we're working on it.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A crossover between an academic and a corporate environment

14 Feb 2021 - Research Engineer in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Access to cool technologies and infrastructure Opportunity to work on exciting projects and to learn a lot. You can meet many interesting, highly educated and quite intelligent people. Pays very well. Lots of perks. Good work life balance if you can avoid being sucked into too many projects. Company was very supportive of its employees since the start of the pandemic. Looks good on CV.

Cons

Highly political. Lots of huge egos hired from the academia (quite a few senior scientists are quite arrogant or have prima donna attitude). Promotion process is opaque and political. A class division between Research Scientists and Research Engineers (despite both often having practically the same skills and education). Strong gender bias in staffing, recruitment and management hierarchy ("boys do research, girls do HR and project management") the company seems unable to fix, despite all the talk about D&I. Too much emphasis on PR and image building, too little self-criticism and humility. Failure of high profile projects is usually swept under the rug. Many projects are being pursued which have little scientific and practical value, just because someone thinks they're cool (or can't come up with better ideas). There's quite a lot of group think within research groups, often because the group leaders (usually university professors) hire their former students or academic co-workers. Cliques are common. Influential managers are often added as coauthors to papers they had very little to do with. Most importantly: the company doesn't know where it's going. Less and less people believe that the hallowed AGI is going to be achieved any time soon. However this is not acknowledged officially. In the absence of clear direction, people are messing around and focus on self-promotion.

5 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0

Great place to work

12 May 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

collaborative, thoughtful organisation, treats staff well

Cons

nothing for me to add here

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing place to work

14 Mar 2021 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The culture at DeepMind is kind and very collaborative, and the opportunities to work on amazing projects with brilliant colleagues is inspiring. The recruitment and onboarding process is thoughtful especially so considering the work from home period.

Cons

This is difficult to think of anything significant. Being able to go back into the office will be an added bonus to meet more people in more organic ways.

6. 5.0

Great Culture and Inspiring Mission

26 Aug 2020 - Recruiter in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The most inspiring mission, where everyone plays a vitally important role to achieving this. Still feels like a dream job and organisation to work for! - Working alongside experts from all different fields and backgrounds. I learn something new everyday and am continuously acquiring new skills - Inclusive culture; people can be their authentic selves and it's truly a values driven organisation. - Not only working with the some of the smartest minds in the world, but also some of the kindest and most humble people too - Amazing facilities and benefits

Cons

- Very fast paced and people care so deeply about the mission that it can be easy to end up working longer hours. However, their is a huge focus on eliminating burnout and prioritising wellbeing to counteract this + a great support system in place

5 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to develop your career

29 Jul 2020 - Operations in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

+ Collaborative culture with an open & transparent leadership team + Awesome for career development. Access to bespoke training programs, 1:1 coaching, manager development etc. Development feels tailored and moves at the pace that works for you. Tonnes of opportunities. + Cutting edge AI research + Operations is a central team (much more so than other organisations that I've worked) -- where goals are aligned to company strategy & plays an integral role in contributing to DeepMind's success + Ambitious where you are stretched & challenged but always in a kind & supportive way

Cons

- DeepMind grew rapidly over a fairly short period of time. Naturally with this comes some growing pains - mainly around process efficiencies. This is constantly being reviewed though. - The pace can be fast moving & can take some adjusting to when you first join but there is lots of support to guide you.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work!

24 Aug 2020 - Recruitment Coordinator in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I only joined a few months ago, and started remote due to the pandemic however the communication before joining and the onboarding process was super organised and smooth. My colleagues and other employees within the business are very friendly and the org is constantly updating us during these uncertain times, which is great for a new starter! Overall they seem to take good care of their staff.

Cons

No cons at the moment

9. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great employer, always something to learn.

19 Oct 2020 - Program Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Constant chance to learn and grow

Cons

can struggle with imposter syndrome working with a lot of smart people.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Inspiring place and team

31 Jul 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Being part of a long term and challenging mission and the sense of purpose that brings Smart, collaborative colleagues who I enjoy working with every day Compassionate culture (e.g. very supportive and flexible during the pandemic) AI is such an interesting topic to get to work on

Cons

Processes and ways of working can be a surprising mixture of very fast and quite slow but I've adapted

Viewing 1 - 10 of 24 Reviews