Defense Finance and Accounting Service Employee Reviews about "dfas"

Updated 3 Aug 2019

3.7
Defense Finance and Accounting Service Director Teresa McKay
Teresa McKay
Pros
  • "Telework during a pandemic is great(in 29 reviews)

• "good work-life balance, opportunity to work with best people(in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • "I do not have any cons for working at DFAS(in 9 reviews)

• "Upper management is always changing(in 7 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "dfas"

Return to all Reviews

"DoD Financial Servcies"

Former Employee - Accountant in Columbus, OH
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Defense Finance and Accounting Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

DFAS serves the men and woman of our military.

Cons

Senior managers get too focused on production at the sacrifice of customer service and employee work/life balance.

Continue reading
  2. "Stereotypical Government Job"

2.0
    Former Employee - Accounting Technician in Columbus, OH
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Defense Finance and Accounting Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

All the typical government benefits (leave, insurance, retirement, etc.)

Cons

Hard work is only recognized with one thing: more work. There is no attempt by upper management to reward those who go above and beyond. Trying to get into the LIM program is very competitive, and to make matters worse, interns are given priority over existing, experienced employees. I've notice that many employees leave to go to other agencies, but very few come to DFAS from other agencies.

Continue reading

3. "Don’t waste your Finance/accounting degree on this position"

Former Employee - Military Pay Technician

I worked at Defense Finance and Accounting Service full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rewarding working with soldiers on a day to day.

Cons

Position are underpaid at all levels, DFAS really needs some serious desk audits. no real finance experience, no training will be provided so hope you have experience. Often over worked with no rewards. Only employees who receive training for career progression are the supervisors.

Continue reading
  4. "DFAS Limestone Maine AWEFUL place to work"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Limestone, ME

I have been working at Defense Finance and Accounting Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Knowing what I do is important

Cons

I used to LOVE working at DFAS Limestone and the last 5-6 years especially the last 3 years have been the worst ever. Upper management doesn't care about you or your family, they punish everyone in the building for 10 people taking advantage of their privileges, and on overtime they will make you sit there and do nothing if you have no work! Upper management loves to micromanage! It's to bad because I love what I do. There are lots of people at DFAS Limestone that work very hard, go over and beyond and care about what we do. However, upper management is making it VERY hard for us to like our jobs especially when they punish the people that are doing what we are supposed to do! Pretty soon we will all need deviations to go to the bathroom! It's ridiculous! If you want a life, respect and not to be treated like garbage that can be thrown away don't apply to DFAS Limestone....you'll regret it.

"Accounting Technician"

2.0
    Current Employee - Accounting Technician in Limestone, ME
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Defense Finance and Accounting Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a government position so it comes with decent benefits, including more leave than most civilian employers.

Cons

DFAS Limestone suffers from an obsession with production numbers. Nothing else matters. We recently received notice that we will be working mandatory overtime 2 Saturdays per month during the months of June, July, and Aug. After that we go into fiscal year end mode when we work mandatory overtime daily for two months. There is no work/life balance in this organization. It is easy to get a foot into the door of federal service here because there is always churn.

Continue reading
  6. "A Great Career Choice"

5.0
    Current Employee - Accounting Technician in Columbus, OH

Pros

- Great pay, benefits and employee perks (ie. Telework, flexibility with scheduling, family oriented, overtime is given when asked for. ) -Professional & friendly work environment. -Free use of base gym & sauna -Works well with military reservist

Cons

I do not have any cons for working at DFAS.

Continue reading

"Slightly Less These Days"

Current Employee - Supervisory Financial Analyst
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Their are plenty of opportunities to work projects or take on extra work with in your area or for the bigger DFAS unit. The employees are generally friendly and well meaning. Depending on the area you are in, the work life balance is great.

Cons

I have been employed with DFAS for 12 years, while the focus has been on shifting the culture, the reality is that no one strives to actual change the culture or mindset of employees or management. Some Senior Executives are corrupt and a bit racist, striving to align people who look and act like they do to build a coalition instead of putting the right people in the right job at the right time. Promotions or laterals are not (generally) based on the resume but rather the grape vine gossip.

8. "Employees cannot be fired."

I have been working at Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Pros

Great to learn various parts of 'Finance' as DFAS does it. (Not to learn real Accounting, Auditing, or Finance). Annual 'Step increases' are considered raises and are practically mandatory.

Cons

Almost glorified data-entry in many cases of the job. Difficult to get promotions, one has to re-apply for a job to move to a higher GS position.

9. "Good experience"

Management and Program Analyst in Owens, Sussex, VA

I worked at Defense Finance and Accounting Service for more than 3 years

Pros

I gained a lot of experience that has certainly helped me further my career. I would have stayed with DFAS had I not moved out of state.

Cons

Lots of red tape, often impeding progress.

"I enjoy the work"

in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Defense Finance and Accounting Service

Pros

Great benefits, lots of time off, telework available, and flexible scheduling. Ive been with DFAS for almost 10 yrs and enjoy coming into work everyday.

Cons

Hard to get promoted here. Management tends to lean more towards people with a degree no matter what the degree is in. If you don't have a degree you can get passed by for someone who has it in underwater basket weaving. They just want the paper, they don't care what it's in. Also it's hard to get rid of bad employees so instead mgmt just ignores them

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 English Reviews