Deliveroo Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.5
Deliveroo Co-Founder Will Shu
Will Shu

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours and flexible locations (in 29 reviews)

• Good pay if you are busy, keeps you fit, flexible hours (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Finally, due to often being out in bad weather you can get ill from the job - ironically losing you money as there is no sick pay for time off (in 10 reviews)

• There are no workers rights as you are technically self employed (in 12 reviews)

1. "Career-changing experience and environment"

I have been working at Deliveroo full-time

Pros

I joined several years ago and love both my job and the team that I work with. It can be chaotic and stressful, but at the end of the day always a very fulfilling experience. The company is incredibly ambitious and continuously raises the bar in the people it hires, the plans it has, and how it executes against them. Being here has taught me a lot and has given me experience that I think will change my career for the better in a significant way.

Cons

Communication and information flow doesn't always work well, information doesn't get communicated when it should. Things can occasionally change very quickly in a rushed manner. Both to be expected with a fast-growing place, but can also contribute to stressful days.

"Very flexible working that suits you and earn a Bonus After 20 deliveries! Enter Referral code: SL191323"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in York, England

I have been working at Deliveroo part-time

Pros

Flexible
    Pick your own shifts
    During a busy shift you can earn a lot more than minimum wage
    Easy to start
    App is easy to use

Cons

How quickly the shifts go when booking in advance
    Waiting around on quiet nights
    Inadequate packaging by restaurants causing spills

"Brilliant flexible income and bonus pay after 20 deliveries!"

Current Employee - Deliveroo Cyclist in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Deliveroo Cyclist in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at Deliveroo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a student, the flexibility of working hours deliveroo offers is perfect for combining part time work and studying. At £4 per delivery, I have been averaging an hourly rate of £12/16, which is almost double the wage that I would be able to earn working standard bar/ retail based jobs that are available to students. Furthermore, the ability to pick your own shifts (available in hourly slots) and then cancel upto 5 minutes before you start is ideal, meaning that if something comes up, you can cancel last minute and don't have to work. The sign-up process is also very straightforward and only takes 30-45 minutes to get going, and then a courier delivers all of the equipment to you, free of charge. When I signed up using someone else's referral link, I got a £50 bonus after making 20 deliveries which took me less than a week to earn (feel free to use my referral link which is https://roo.it/HA172372 ). Overall, deliveroo is without doubt the best part time job i've ever had. Headphones in, cycling around the city and listening to music whilst being paid to keep fit, what is there not to like?

Cons

Would not recommend as a full time job as it would be physically exhausting working long shifts.

"Perfect Job for Students - EXTRA £50 by using the code KL154808 when applying"

I have been working at Deliveroo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Flexible - good for fitting around busy schedule.
    A Lot of exercise!
    Good for students trying to support their living costs
    Great for a part time job
    Get to explore parts of your city you've never seen before

Use the code KL154808 when applying for £50 extra within your first 20 orders.

Cons

When the weather is bad it becomes a battle

5. "Fast money and easy job.!"

I have been working at Deliveroo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very Flexible - good for fitting around busy schedule.
    A Lot of exercise!
    Good for students trying to support their living costs
    Great for a part time job
    Get to explore parts of your city you've never seen before

Also get £50 bonus using the code LE142687 when you register.

Good Luck!

Cons

There should be automatic personal injury insurance at least. Also Holiday and sick pay and pension for long term riders,

Advice to Management

more bonus

"Best company I've ever worked at!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Deliveroo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-moving tech startup, where I've worked with some of the smartest and most hard-working individuals in the world. It's great to be able to working amongst people who have previously built and scaled companies such as Twitter, Facebook, Netflix and Google.

The people & environment are very friendly, and make it a real pleasure to go to work every day. Everyone also has a very healthy attitude towards working from home and flexible working hours.

We often have team nights out and drinks after work.

No expense is spared on learning materials, bring influential speakers into the office and generally developing one's career.

There is a great culture of open and honest feedback, with a real emphasis on improving process so that problems of the past never happen again. This was eye-opening for me, coming to the company as you can see how much more efficient and politics-free everything becomes when everything is out in the open.

Free food on Fridays :)

Cons

Honestly, not many but here's a few small ones:

The company has grown so rapidly that there sometimes seem to be basic things which should have been fixed long ago, but no-one has got round to it yet.

Much of the core business still depends on an large monolith application (which is slowly being de-composed) but this does cause friction sometimes when wanting to move quickly and ship a feature. I have been lucky to not have to work regularly within the monolith.

We care constantly hiring new people, which is great, but this means it sometimes becomes harder to keep tabs on everything that is going on and what everyone is working on, as you would do in a smaller startup.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

7. "Clique crowd at the top with no management skills"

Former Employee - Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Executive in London, England

I worked at Deliveroo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice Office
    Free Food
    Good social benefits

Cons

- Cut throat environment with no support
    - Management lack the skills to help grow and develop employees so no ongoing feedback on performance
    - The management especially within the product teams are clique and look to discredit people at the smallest opportunity, so watch your back if considering a role within these teams

Advice to Management

Learn some people management skills and support employees with clear growth plans. Be more transparent and don't be so disposable of people, take some accountability.

8. "Delivery In Leeds"

Former Employee - Delivery in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Delivery in Leeds, England

I worked at Deliveroo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for Students who need work
    Decent pay for what it is

Cons

It Can be inconsistent sometimes

9. "High pay during peak hours & lots of flexibility. Great sign-up bonus if you use my code!"

Current Employee - Deliveroo Rider in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Deliveroo Rider in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Deliveroo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlike most place, here in Cambridge, you don't have to book shifts/ slots. Just turn on the app and start doing deliveries. Extremely flexible. I can refer you with this code TS90741. Use it when you apply online and you will get 50 pounds after your first 20 deliveries.

Each drop is 4 pounds. In the peak hours (12-14 and 18-22) you can make 3,4 deliveries per hour without a problem. In the less busy hours, I do 2 deliveries per hour. For such a low skilled work this pay ( average 10/h) rate is great.

The deliveroo community here is great, the restaurant staff is always friendly.
    Cambridge is a cycling-oriented city. Lost of bike lanes, alleys and the drivers are always careful.

Cons

The only downside I see is the fact that you are exposed to the bad weather. But hey, WINTER IS GONE NOW! The way I deal with it is by preparing a bit. Gloves, the deliveroo jacket and waterproof pants and you are ready to go.
    + You get more deliveries when it's raining. And sometimes Deliveroo pays extra pound per delivery when the weather is not nice in order to provide extra incentive.

Feel free to use my code TS90741 when applying online. You will earn 50 pounds after your first 20 deliveries (usually you can do them within the first few shifts).

10. "Solid Student Job"

Current Employee - Bicycle Courier in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Current Employee - Bicycle Courier in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I have been working at Deliveroo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made up to £25 an hour on occasion

Cons

Inconsistent orders during student holidays

Advice to Management

Sort out order numbers versus riders during holidays