Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews

Updated 22 Jan 2020

3.6
Democracy Prep Public Schools CEO Natasha Trivers (no image)
Natasha Trivers
Pros
  • "Las Vegas campus has the MOST GROWTH in the state among schools with over 200 scholars(in 29 reviews)

• "There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (7:00-4:30)---Will need to balance home/work life(in 44 reviews)

• "It's hard to maintain work/life balance - but possible(in 36 reviews)

1. "Serving all Kids!"

Current Employee - Leader U Resident

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Doing the work at Democracy Prep can be difficult, but we are preparing our students for what's next - college or whatever that looks like. There is room to grow and staff that will take the time to develop your skills.

Cons

Would love to collaborate with other regions more.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-21
  2. "A culture of consistent improvement"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

While we are far from perfect, everyone at this network cares deeply about kids and puts them first. In the past year Natasha has taken over the role of CEO and the network has benefited tremendously from her leadership. She is both driven and extremely open to feedback. Additionally, she chose to send her own son to DP (he's now graduated). As a network we've shifted away from "No Excuses" to "Purpose Over Power" and "High Expectations, High Support", which has been an overdue change. We treat our scholars with respect, and our civics mission is deeply ingrained in the work we do. We also back-fill all seats and have a robust program for scholars with special needs.

Cons

Currently, DP is in the midst of some big changes. While we serve some of our scholars incredibly well, there are still pockets where kids, and teachers struggle. We need to do a better job of supporting teachers across all campuses to make sure they, and their scholars succeed. However, we're aware of the problems and willing to put in the work to fix them. So I feel optimistic.

Advice to Management

Thank you. Keep up the good work.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-18
  3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Leader U Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Democracy Prep Publics schools is a place in which like minded people who care about educating ALL students work. Our civics program works to educate the whole child and create compassionate young men and women who are inspired to give back to their community, and make the world a better place. Our rigorous academics pushes our students to think critically and constantly question and examine the world around them.

Cons

Would like more opportunities to collaborate across schools.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-17
  4. "DP- A Great Place to Grow and Learn"

Current Employee - Instructional Coach in Camden, NJ

Pros

Democracy Prep is an organization that has clear outcomes in mind that allow for all scholars to receive a rigorous and well rounded education from some of the most talented and gritty staff members. There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts. Our network provides kids with endless opportunities such as tutoring, clubs, and sports.

Cons

The hours can be long, but 100% worth it.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-15
  5. "Higher pay than NYC DOE"

Current Employee - High School Math Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice co-workers Higher pay than NYC DOE for entry-level

Cons

Difficult to 'reach' those kids (lots of patience, care, and love is needed to excel as a teacher.)

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-12

"Amazing Community of Educators and Scholars"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

DPAC in Las Vegas is the only 5-Star Middle School in a Title 1 Classification, Shining Star School, high achieving school for scholars with IEPs and ELL scholars, amazing teammates to work with, a community that pushes SEL and cares about children as whole people, collaboration across grade levels and content areas, focus on the arts as well as core curricular classes, truly a place full of educators who are making a positive change.

Cons

Long hours. Your day starts at 7AM and doesn't end until 4:30PM plus 40 additional hours outside of work.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06
  7. "A wonderful group of educators"

Current Employee - Math Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

1. love my coworkers! They are so awesome to work with and amazing growth is happening every day academically! 2. The curriculum is amazing and easy to follow and use! 3. we went from a 2 star to a 5 star school! Shining STAR school!

Cons

LONG hours weekly (more than 40)

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06
  8. "Democracy Prep is a great team to be a part of!"

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

-Friendliest team. -Organized and structured! -Excellent Leadership.

Cons

Only con is that the hours are long but definitely worth it.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06
  9. "A place where SCHOLARS are truly the FOCUS."

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Las Vegas Agassi Campus is beautiful and serves as a safe haven for scholars to learn and socialize. - Las Vegas middle school is a 5 Star School - Shining Star School - Las Vegas campus has the MOST GROWTH in the state among schools with over 200 scholars. - The staff truly want what is best for the SCHOLARS and are willing to go above and beyond for them. - LOTS of opportunity for professional growth and development. - AWESOME benefits package!!! - The school stays reminded and grounded in the mission of getting scholars to a collage of their choice.

Cons

- Requires a major time commitment (which I'm okay with because the scholars truly deserve it). - Have to work SOME Saturdays.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06
  10. "Amazing team of adults"

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Our Las Vegas middle school has grown from being a 2 star school to a 5 start school in two years. The teachers are all dedicated to making this an excellent place to work. There is a vetted curriculum is provided to middle school teachers.

Cons

Long Hours (7-4:30) and a longer school year.

Found 203 reviews