Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Democracy Prep Public Schools Reviews

Updated 24 Feb 2020

3.9
Democracy Prep Public Schools CEO Natasha Trivers (no image)
Natasha Trivers
Pros
  • "Las Vegas campus has the MOST GROWTH in the state among schools with over 200 scholars(in 32 reviews)

• "There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (7:00-4:30)---Will need to balance home/work life(in 44 reviews)

• "It's hard to maintain work/life balance - but possible(in 36 reviews)

1. "Working for Democracy Prep Public Schools"

Current Employee - Finance Manager

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Continuously reinforces administrative effectiveness by providing development opportunities, such as anti-racist training, specified field training, and support.

Cons

D.P. encourages employees to solve their own problems. There is no rule book. A great place to work if you have the drive and an ambitious work ethic.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-02-25
  2. "Compassionate and Genuine Mission-Driven Organization"

Current Employee - Curriculum Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the first organization I've worked for in my career in which everyone I've met is very genuinely dedicated to the mission of not only bettering the lives of our students and communities, but also of facilitating the growth of future leaders and change-agents. DP is different from other charter organizations in its commitment to civic engagement and social justice, so it tends to attract people who are in the work for the right reasons. The students are unusually kind, eager, and empathic for the most part, although this trait can vary by campus, so visits are key. I've been very impressed with our organization's commitment to DEI (diversity, equity, and inclusion) work at all levels. For teachers, the benefit is that the network provides a pretty solid curriculum with all materials and assessments created; the teachers' job is to internalize those lessons. Teachers are given significant PD support and coaching.

Cons

Like most public schools and charter organizations, money is tight. Teachers sometimes have to teach extra classes when people are out. The network is newly committed to using substitutes for long term situations, which has been a game changer on overworked staff.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-02-18
  3. "Mission-Driven Network With Opportunities for Growth"

Current Employee - Curriculum Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Civics-driven mission, quality professional development, generous benefits, driven managers.

Cons

Long work hours, benefits favor longevity

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-02-06
  4. "Solid charter school network tackling big questions and getting results!"

Current Employee - Arts Education Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- strong, reflective adult culture focused on doing right by students and families and learning together as a team. - strong professional development and opportunities for career advancement. - sends high school students on international trips. - high regard for arts education - every scholar receives training in multiple art forms and in NYC schools, they can pursue free specialized training in Theater and Music. - high regard for civics education and community/global service. - strong focus on success in college and a life of active citizenship.

Cons

- at times DP has attempted to move too far too fast.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-29
  5. "Working to change the world"

Current Employee - CMO Staffer in New York, NY

Pros

Working at Democracy Prep is engaging and invigorating - I go to work every day feeling that I am working toward something truly important and worthwhile, and that I am making a positive impact on the trajectory of our scholars' lives. We are in the midst of a mindset and culture shift and are working to be more transparent, thoughtful and honest with ourselves as an organization, which has been a needed and refreshing new direction.

Cons

Working in ed reform can be exhausting and frustrating, and we are still working on providing good avenues for authentic staff feedback. There is too much silo-ization in the organization, but this is a known issue that senior leadership is trying to actively address.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-24
  6. "Serving all Kids!"

Current Employee - Leader U Resident

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Doing the work at Democracy Prep can be difficult, but we are preparing our students for what's next - college or whatever that looks like. There is room to grow and staff that will take the time to develop your skills.

Cons

Would love to collaborate with other regions more.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-21
  7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Leader U Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

Democracy Prep Publics schools is a place in which like minded people who care about educating ALL students work. Our civics program works to educate the whole child and create compassionate young men and women who are inspired to give back to their community, and make the world a better place. Our rigorous academics pushes our students to think critically and constantly question and examine the world around them.

Cons

Would like more opportunities to collaborate across schools.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-17
  8. "A culture of consistent improvement"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

Pros

While we are far from perfect, everyone at this network cares deeply about kids and puts them first. In the past year Natasha has taken over the role of CEO and the network has benefited tremendously from her leadership. She is both driven and extremely open to feedback. Additionally, she chose to send her own son to DP (he's now graduated). As a network we've shifted away from "No Excuses" to "Purpose Over Power" and "High Expectations, High Support", which has been an overdue change. We treat our scholars with respect, and our civics mission is deeply ingrained in the work we do. We also back-fill all seats and have a robust program for scholars with special needs.

Cons

Currently, DP is in the midst of some big changes. While we serve some of our scholars incredibly well, there are still pockets where kids, and teachers struggle. We need to do a better job of supporting teachers across all campuses to make sure they, and their scholars succeed. However, we're aware of the problems and willing to put in the work to fix them. So I feel optimistic.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-18
  9. "DP- A Great Place to Grow and Learn"

Current Employee - Instructional Coach in Camden, NJ

Pros

Democracy Prep is an organization that has clear outcomes in mind that allow for all scholars to receive a rigorous and well rounded education from some of the most talented and gritty staff members. There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts. Our network provides kids with endless opportunities such as tutoring, clubs, and sports.

Cons

The hours can be long, but 100% worth it.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-15
  10. "Higher pay than NYC DOE"

Current Employee - High School Math Teacher in New York, NY

Pros

Nice co-workers Higher pay than NYC DOE for entry-level

Cons

Difficult to 'reach' those kids (lots of patience, care, and love is needed to excel as a teacher.)

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-12