Democracy Prep Public Schools Employee Reviews about "professional development"

Updated 6 Feb 2020

3.9
Democracy Prep Public Schools CEO Natasha Trivers (no image)
Natasha Trivers
Pros
  • "Las Vegas campus has the MOST GROWTH in the state among schools with over 200 scholars(in 32 reviews)

• "There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (7:00-4:30)---Will need to balance home/work life(in 48 reviews)

• "It's hard to maintain work/life balance - but possible(in 36 reviews)

Reviews about "professional development"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Mission-Driven Network With Opportunities for Growth"

Current Employee - Curriculum Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Civics-driven mission, quality professional development, generous benefits, driven managers.

Cons

Long work hours, benefits favor longevity

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-02-06
  2. "Solid charter school network tackling big questions and getting results!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Arts Education Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- strong, reflective adult culture focused on doing right by students and families and learning together as a team. - strong professional development and opportunities for career advancement. - sends high school students on international trips. - high regard for arts education - every scholar receives training in multiple art forms and in NYC schools, they can pursue free specialized training in Theater and Music. - high regard for civics education and community/global service. - strong focus on success in college and a life of active citizenship.

Cons

- at times DP has attempted to move too far too fast.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-29
  3. "DP- A Great Place to Grow and Learn"

Current Employee - Instructional Coach in Camden, NJ

Pros

Democracy Prep is an organization that has clear outcomes in mind that allow for all scholars to receive a rigorous and well rounded education from some of the most talented and gritty staff members. There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts. Our network provides kids with endless opportunities such as tutoring, clubs, and sports.

Cons

The hours can be long, but 100% worth it.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-15
  4. "Good Kids - Lack of respect for staff"

2.0
    Current Employee - Teacher in Camden, NJ

Pros

Kids want to do well, are loving and fun. If scholars have been at a DP school for a handful of years they are likely to be on or above grade level. If you communicate often with parents they are great. A lot of good professional development 5 weeks for summer.. Good pay Teachers are very supportive of each other and will welcome new staff with open arms.

Cons

60+ hours a week 40 extra hours required of you a year 3 Saturday schools Lack of teachers. WILL have to cover when co-workers are out (unpaid). Most likely will teach something extra than what contract says because of teachers leaving mid year. Teachers leave because of poor work environment Superficial DEI, over policing of children, no concept for helping student socially/emotionally.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2019-12-18
  5. "Rigorous Academics in a Structured and Supportive Environment"

Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

- Coaching is prioritized to help teachers get better at their craft. We meet weekly to discuss lesson plans, scholar data, and observations. We are observed weekly by a coach who wants us to get better. We meet for professional development every Friday for 3 hours. - Working in an environment with like minded people who care about kids, have a growth mindset, believe in providing an excellent education, and want to have fun doing it is energizing. - Assuming you have a growth mindset, are organized, and aren't afraid to work hard, there are a lot of opportunities to make a difference at school, to increase your impact, and to develop into a leader.

Cons

This is not a 9-5 job by any means. You have to be willing to do late hours and time on weekends. Changing the world doesn't happen in 40 hours at a cubicle desk!

Democracy Prep Public Schools2019-11-14
  6. "A learning experience."

2.0
    Former Employee - Receptionist

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

The school staff was a tight knit community, weekly professional development meetings.

Cons

Lack of communication between the leadership team and operations team. Very long hours that led to burn out. As a non-exempt employee you are not informed about the overtime protocol so you are unsure as to how to go about compensation outside of the 40 hour work week.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2019-10-19
  7. "Democracy Prep is not too good and not too bad"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Staff is great. Leadership was motivating. Great students Tech was cool.

Cons

Professional Development was lacking. Not enough transparency

Democracy Prep Public Schools2019-07-07

"Lose all life outside of work"

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

The salary is high if you don’t mind working 10 hours a day, five days a week, plus unexpected extra 40 hours Unpaid overtime throughout the year.

Cons

I was a super long and you were micromanaged minute by minute, the principal lacks any compassion and only criticizes, doesn’t speak to Strank’s, the workload is extremely heavy and tiring and many teachers are always crying and often quitting. The students are miserable and given consequences for every little thing like leaning their head on their chin while writing or reading, even if they’re paying 100% attention. There are multiple staff meetings like 7:10 AM every Monday and professional development until 5 PM every Friday. There are also only five personal/sick days for the whole year and many random late night events throughout the year they’re not told when you sign contract. If you don’t have pets and these events, you get your personal days taken away from you and additional hours added to the 40 hours of unpaid overtime everyone is required to do. there is also an out-of-state trip each year for about three days which they don’t tell you about when signing contracts but you must go on the trip or lose two personal days.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2018-12-21

"do not recommend"

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools

Pros

good training and professional development

Cons

do not recommend. burn out is real

Democracy Prep Public Schools2018-11-09

"Cog in the machine"

I worked at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

–lots of ongoing professional development, routine observation, coaching, and feedback –co-teaching in all classrooms (elementary) –opportunity for professional growth/advancement within the network –relationships with colleagues –swag, perks, and material gifts –great salary and benefits

Cons

–extremely long hours and heavy workload –curricula and behavior management systems were completely prescribed, scripted, and enforced, so teachers had extremely limited autonomy or flexibility. For me, this took the joy out of teaching –one teacher was responsible for completing all of the planning in a particular subject for the entire grade level and had to write scripted lesson plans that all other teachers on the team were expected to use, word for word. Teachers couldn't adapt the lesson plans they were given to add their own unique voice or demonstrate flexibility based on their students' needs, which was problematic. I also experienced issues where the designated planner for a subject wasn't a strong curriculum writer, so the quality of the distributed plans stunk, as well as many cases where the planner fell behind on the lesson planning, resulting in the team either getting lessons the morning of or not at all. –behavior management throughout the school was horrible, and kids were constantly getting removed from the classroom and sent to an overcrowded DREAM room –low staff morale and high teacher attrition –despite all of the swag and outward acts of teacher appreciation, I rarely got the sense that leadership/the CMO truly cared or valued me

Democracy Prep Public Schools2018-10-04

Democracy Prep Public Schools Response

November 13, 2018Recruitment Outreach Associate

Thank you for writing a review. We are happy to provide our staff with comprehensive professional development and to support all employees with a great benefits package, and the necessary materials and technology to get the job done. You are right; DPPS teachers can sometimes work long and demanding hours. We ask our educators to invest their time and talent in this way because we know it’s necessary to accomplish our mission to educate our scholars When an employee has concerns, we believe in clear lines of communication and transparency, and encourage all employees to share their feedback with their team leaders or HR. We appreciate your feedback, and will share your review with our Human Resources team.

Found 30 reviews