Democracy Prep Public Schools "scholars" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Democracy Prep Public Schools Employee Reviews about "scholars"

Updated 29 Jan 2020

3.9
Democracy Prep Public Schools CEO Natasha Trivers (no image)
Natasha Trivers
Pros
  • "Las Vegas campus has the MOST GROWTH in the state among schools with over 200 scholars(in 32 reviews)

• "There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (7:00-4:30)---Will need to balance home/work life(in 44 reviews)

• "It's hard to maintain work/life balance - but possible(in 36 reviews)

Reviews about "scholars"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Solid charter school network tackling big questions and getting results!"

Current Employee - Arts Education Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- strong, reflective adult culture focused on doing right by students and families and learning together as a team. - strong professional development and opportunities for career advancement. - sends high school students on international trips. - high regard for arts education - every scholar receives training in multiple art forms and in NYC schools, they can pursue free specialized training in Theater and Music. - high regard for civics education and community/global service. - strong focus on success in college and a life of active citizenship.

Cons

- at times DP has attempted to move too far too fast.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-29
  2. "Working to change the world"

Current Employee - CMO Staffer in New York, NY

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working at Democracy Prep is engaging and invigorating - I go to work every day feeling that I am working toward something truly important and worthwhile, and that I am making a positive impact on the trajectory of our scholars' lives. We are in the midst of a mindset and culture shift and are working to be more transparent, thoughtful and honest with ourselves as an organization, which has been a needed and refreshing new direction.

Cons

Working in ed reform can be exhausting and frustrating, and we are still working on providing good avenues for authentic staff feedback. There is too much silo-ization in the organization, but this is a known issue that senior leadership is trying to actively address.

Continue reading
    Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-24
  3. "A culture of consistent improvement"

Current Employee - Assistant Director in New York, NY

Pros

While we are far from perfect, everyone at this network cares deeply about kids and puts them first. In the past year Natasha has taken over the role of CEO and the network has benefited tremendously from her leadership. She is both driven and extremely open to feedback. Additionally, she chose to send her own son to DP (he's now graduated). As a network we've shifted away from "No Excuses" to "Purpose Over Power" and "High Expectations, High Support", which has been an overdue change. We treat our scholars with respect, and our civics mission is deeply ingrained in the work we do. We also back-fill all seats and have a robust program for scholars with special needs.

Cons

Currently, DP is in the midst of some big changes. While we serve some of our scholars incredibly well, there are still pockets where kids, and teachers struggle. We need to do a better job of supporting teachers across all campuses to make sure they, and their scholars succeed. However, we're aware of the problems and willing to put in the work to fix them. So I feel optimistic.

Continue reading
    Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-18
  4. "DP- A Great Place to Grow and Learn"

Current Employee - Instructional Coach in Camden, NJ

Pros

Democracy Prep is an organization that has clear outcomes in mind that allow for all scholars to receive a rigorous and well rounded education from some of the most talented and gritty staff members. There are so many opportunities to grow as an educator whether it is LeaderU, DPYou, or professional development sessions facilitated by experts. Our network provides kids with endless opportunities such as tutoring, clubs, and sports.

Cons

The hours can be long, but 100% worth it.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-15

"Amazing Community of Educators and Scholars"

Current Employee - Assistant Principal in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

DPAC in Las Vegas is the only 5-Star Middle School in a Title 1 Classification, Shining Star School, high achieving school for scholars with IEPs and ELL scholars, amazing teammates to work with, a community that pushes SEL and cares about children as whole people, collaboration across grade levels and content areas, focus on the arts as well as core curricular classes, truly a place full of educators who are making a positive change.

Cons

Long hours. Your day starts at 7AM and doesn't end until 4:30PM plus 40 additional hours outside of work.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06
  6. "A place where SCHOLARS are truly the FOCUS."

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Las Vegas Agassi Campus is beautiful and serves as a safe haven for scholars to learn and socialize. - Las Vegas middle school is a 5 Star School - Shining Star School - Las Vegas campus has the MOST GROWTH in the state among schools with over 200 scholars. - The staff truly want what is best for the SCHOLARS and are willing to go above and beyond for them. - LOTS of opportunity for professional growth and development. - AWESOME benefits package!!! - The school stays reminded and grounded in the mission of getting scholars to a collage of their choice.

Cons

- Requires a major time commitment (which I'm okay with because the scholars truly deserve it). - Have to work SOME Saturdays.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06
  7. "The BEST School Ever!"

Current Employee - Music Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

5 Star School, great team to work with, great scholars to build relationships with.

Cons

Long hours-7AM to 4:30PM, plus 40 additional hours.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06
  8. "Five Star Middle School"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Las Vegas, NV
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

5 star Middle School Greatest growth in math and reading of ANY school in Nevada with more than 200 kids. Nationally recognized for growth among scholars with IEP's and English Language Learners Strong team culture Incredible growth as a professional and a person as a result of working here Great benefits, such as 12 weeks paid paternal / maternal leave after 1 year of working for the company, 8 weeks paid maternal / paternal leave your first year working for the company, work phone provided, laptop provided, free health insurance after 5 years working for the company

Cons

Long work hours, longer school year, work some Saturdays, work from home sometimes required to meet expectations, work life balance

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06
  9. "5 Star Shining Star School"

Current Employee - Teacher, Secondary School in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Democracy Prep Public Schools full-time

Pros

*School Values *Passionate educators that are striving for common goals *Awesome scholars *High expectations *My co-workers are AMAZING *DPAC has the Highest growth in the STATE of NEVADA for ALL middle schools that serve over 200 scholars *I am able to carry out my passion for teaching on an everyday basis *I LOVE DPAC

Cons

*Long hours (7:00-4:30)---Will need to balance home/work life

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06
  10. "Great School: Close family environment. Awesome teachers."

Current Employee - History Teacher in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

We are a 5 Star Campus. 100% Graduation Rate. Over 300 scholars in the Highest Growth in the Las Vegas Area.

Cons

Longs hours 7 til 4: Plus 40 volunteer hours outside of the normal routine.

Democracy Prep Public Schools2020-01-06

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 37 reviews