Dennis Publishing Reviews

Updated 5 Jan 2021

3.5
Dennis Publishing CEO and Director James Tye (no image)
James Tye
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Best time ever"

5.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People, culture... it's all incredible. Everyone who works here gains friends for life and great memories.

Cons

Hard to think of at this stage.

2. "Great ethic"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Production Editor in London, England

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere and good working conditions

Cons

Nothing really - good vibe, good people

3. "Insightful experience"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in London, England

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and progressive environment Work life balance Sufficient amount of training

Cons

Some of the management are just not good enough

4. "Could be so much better!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Charity events (planting trees) - Employees are creative and forward thinking - Innovative and cool brands

Cons

- Buyacar employees underappreciated, this is clear by the cramped basement office space and exclusion from other Dennis events. - Uncomfortable working environment as a result of heavy and unnecessary micromanagement. - Toxic middle management that make it clear when they would rather you left the business by fabricating false accusations. - Compensation is well below average for the level of work/stress expected on a daily basis. - Employees fear facing disciplinary action or criticism if they speak out of place.

Continue reading
  5. "Not a good place on the Ad and Sales floor"

Former Employee - Digital Team in London, England

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some good people, associated with a charity.

Cons

Operated like a dictatorship within the ad and sales floor. Tried to convey the energy of a hip, relaxed agency but in reality it was totally different. Chastised for wearing jeans and for 'out of office talk' on your desks. Forced to take lunch at 1pm. A complete lack of culture. The work wasn't particularly progressive and very sub-par.

"stay away"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

office is new, free coffee

Cons

management, progression, condescending team leaders, patronising upper management

Continue reading

"Unpleasant working experience, some friendly staff"

Former Employee - Staff Writer in London, England

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Decent pay and benefits - Nice charity events (e.g. planting trees in the forest initiative) - A few good opportunities for growth as a journalist (e.g. some interesting feature writing opportunities) - A couple of friendly team members. -Opportunities to travel abroad for work (for those interested) - Decent promotion opportunities (for British staff)

Cons

- Competitive, tense, Brit-only, and non-inclusive work environment: I felt really uncomfortable in the working environment. I was the only foreign employee in my team and often felt like a fish out of water and like I could not be myself in the workplace. I started my work at Dennis with a positive and friendly attitude but this quickly deteriorated over time. There was very little healthy communication and understanding between team members, quite a bit of competitiveness, and I sensed an austere/tense atmosphere overall. Though I made friends with one of my colleagues who was also a new addition to the team, being around and collaborating with the rest of the team was a very uncomfortable experience and made me dread going to work every morning. During my second appraisal meeting, I was told that there were things I had to work on to pass probation and one of these was that they did not feel I had a 'banter' and engaged in social pub gatherings as much as they would have liked. At the time, the concept of 'banter' and the whole 'pub culture' was extremely alien to me, perhaps due to cultural reasons and considering I had primarily interacted with foreigners since I first arrived in London. I soon discovered that both of these concepts were unaligned with my personality and cultural background, thus they will never come naturally to me. I found the fact that they were mentioned to me during the appraisal meeting unusual, to say the least, as they had nothing to do with my job as a journalist. The irony of it for me was that while the content published by Dennis often praises work initiatives promoting diversity and inclusion, I did not feel at all included nor appreciated in my cultural and personal differences when I was working there. Having said that, there were a few exceptions, including two staff members who were not in the B2B Tech writing team and who no longer work at Dennis, a foreign girl in a different department, and a team member who had joined at the same time as me and who continued to work for Dennis after I left. Unsurprisingly, I did not pass probation and was told it was an 'attitude problem' as my work was good, and that I did not fit well with the team. While it did feel a bit like a personal failure at the time, I must say that not making it through probation also brought immense relief and I was happy to not have to go there anymore. -Lack of clear feedback: I do not feel that I grew much as a writer and journalist while working at Dennis, except for broadening my portfolio. During an appraisal meeting, I was told that I was making 'too many grammatical mistakes and was making less of an effort on articles that covered topics I did not find particularly engaging. I asked whether they could provide some examples of mistakes I was making and of the articles they were not pleased with so that I could adapt my writing accordingly, and they told me to speak to one of the staff members. When I did, however, he browsed through my past articles with me and was quite perplexed, as there were very few mistakes and he did not think they were particularly serious. After working for a number of different employers now, I realise the value of constructive and consistent feedback, something that I never received at Dennis and I believe prevents people from growing. - I found the content published on Dennis' B2B publications extremely dull and dry. The writing process was extremely repetitive and the topics themselves were often boring and unengaging. - My overall experience at Dennis put me off from taking on full-time jobs in other tech media companies in the UK. I attended interviews for full-time tech reporting jobs once I left Dennis and was actually offered some of these roles. However, as soon as I realized that the work environment was all-British I was instantly put off, as I dreaded finding myself in another similar situation.

Dennis Publishing Response

August 3, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and provide us with some valuable feedback. It is upsetting and embarrassing to know that this has been your experience at Dennis - we do not condone anyone being made to feel singled out and we hope that everyone that works at Dennis feels comfortable in their teams to bring their whole self to work. We can see here from your experience that this certainly has not been the case, and for that, we apologise - we welcome you to get in touch with the People and Talent team so we can discuss this further with you if you wish to do so. We have been listening to our employees, ex-employees and customers over the last couple of months and have now set up a working group within Dennis to start having conversations openly about race and ethnicity. Together we are working on a set of clear, visible actions that are actually going to make a difference to having a far more diverse workplace and we aim to provide a safe space for everyone to feel comfortable enough to raise any issues with us. We know that the past few months have been challenging and we are on a long and difficult journey, with many steps to accomplish, and a lot of difficult conversations to be had, but we also know we need to do this, so thank you for providing this valuable honest feedback.

8. COVID-19

"Disappointed with senior management during the crisis"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Dennis Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits package, 35 hour weeks and flexible working

Cons

No company culture, outdated laptops and overall old tech. Senior leadership has shown its true face during the Covid-19 crisis by patronising staff to force holidays under the pretence that it's for our own mental health, rather than their gain. I am very capable to take care of my own mental health and it would have been nice to have been given a choice rather than being forced to take a big chunk of annual leave in single days. For staff with families outside of London, this takes away the opportunity to go on meaningful holidays with family and friends while only benefiting the company that doesn't want to deal with holiday requests in Q3 and Q4 of the year. Appalling! It is understandable that the company has to protect itself through the furlough scheme and redundancies, but there is hardly any support for its staff in these difficult times. Also in the current political climate with BLM protests, where other companies have shown support by allowing staff to take part in protests and matching charitable donations, Dennis Publishing hasn't even acknowledged it for the longest time, until the pressure became too large and they had to release a Slack statement without any real conclusion or promises, just shallow words. I used to love working here, but the last few months have shown that Dennis has lost its spark.

Dennis Publishing Response

June 22, 2020

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave this review, as a business we always appreciate honest feedback. You’ve covered a few points here so we will address them individually: Annual leave: We’re sad to hear that you feel like you’ve been patronised and forced to take your annual leave - this wasn’t our intention. A lot of thought and planning went into revising our annual leave policy and decisions were only made after listening to the feedback of our latest employee survey where it was quite clear that people are really struggling to switch off and take time out. The prospect of taking holiday in lockdown was just not that attractive. This led people to report that they felt unusually anxious, stressed and some were worried about their mental health going forward. These are issues we all need to take seriously. By implementing the summer hours and extended Christmas break for the business our aim is to give as many people as possible a much needed rest. We hoped that all employees would understand the need for us to find a balance between ensuring we actively make decisions that are in line with the overall feedback from our employee survey and business practicalities for managing annual leave across the business. We can see this isn’t the case here, and we’d welcome you getting in touch with the People & Talent team so we can address. BLM: As we have since discussed in company meetings, we were slow off the mark and our initial response was not satisfactory. We’ve listened to our employees, ex-employees and customers and have now set up a working group within Dennis to start having conversations openly about race. Together we are working on a set of clear, visible actions that are actually going to make a difference - your contribution to the working group would be greatly appreciated. We know that the past few months have been challenging and we are on a long and difficult journey, with many steps to accomplish, and a lot of difficult conversations to be had, but we also know we need to do this, so thank you for providing this valuable feedback.

9. "Like a big family"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Campaign Manager in London, England

I have been working at Dennis Publishing full-time

Pros

Diverse, friendly, welcoming culture. World hard, play hard. Maintain very high expectations, but understand we aren't rocket scientists (!).

Cons

Automotive is the biggest pillar by far and it can someimes feel like that is all Dennis does. Used to be owned by a charity but has recently been sold to a private equity firm.

10. "Slightly old-fashioned company, but really nice people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Editorial in London, England

I have been working at Dennis Publishing full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of people working together that are different ages and have different personalities that compliment each other

Cons

The IT department can be very slow - laptops are old and equipment is always going missing

Viewing 1 - 10 of 75 English Reviews