Dennis Publishing Employee Reviews about "team members"

Updated 11 Jul 2020

3.8
Dennis Publishing CEO and Director James Tye (no image)
James Tye
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "team members"

Return to all Reviews

"Unpleasant working experience, some friendly staff"

1.0
    Former Employee - Staff Writer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Decent pay and benefits - Nice charity events (e.g. planting trees in the forest initiative) - A few good opportunities for growth as a journalist (e.g. some interesting feature writing opportunities) - A couple of friendly team members. -Opportunities to travel abroad for work (for those interested) - Decent promotion opportunities (for British staff)

Cons

- Competitive, tense, Brit-only, and non-inclusive work environment: I felt really uncomfortable in the working environment. I was the only foreign employee in my team and often felt like a fish out of water and like I could not be myself in the workplace. I started my work at Dennis with a positive and friendly attitude but this quickly deteriorated over time. There was very little healthy communication and understanding between team members, quite a bit of competitiveness, and I sensed an austere/tense atmosphere overall. Though I made friends with one of my colleagues who was also a new addition to the team, being around and collaborating with the rest of the team was a very uncomfortable experience and made me dread going to work every morning. During my second appraisal meeting, I was told that there were things I had to work on to pass probation and one of these was that they did not feel I had a 'banter' and engaged in social pub gatherings as much as they would have liked. At the time, the concept of 'banter' and the whole 'pub culture' was extremely alien to me, perhaps due to cultural reasons and considering I had primarily interacted with foreigners since I first arrived in London. I soon discovered that both of these concepts were unaligned with my personality and cultural background, thus they will never come naturally to me. I found the fact that they were mentioned to me during the appraisal meeting unusual, to say the least, as they had nothing to do with my job as a journalist. The irony of it for me was that while the content published by Dennis often praises work initiatives promoting diversity and inclusion, I did not feel at all included nor appreciated in my cultural and personal differences when I was working there. Having said that, there were a few exceptions, including two staff members who were not in the B2B Tech writing team and who no longer work at Dennis, a foreign girl in a different department, and a team member who had joined at the same time as me and who continued to work for Dennis after I left. Unsurprisingly, I did not pass probation and was told it was an 'attitude problem' as my work was good, and that I did not fit well with the team. While it did feel a bit like a personal failure at the time, I must say that not making it through probation also brought immense relief and I was happy to not have to go there anymore. -Lack of clear feedback: I do not feel that I grew much as a writer and journalist while working at Dennis, except for broadening my portfolio. During an appraisal meeting, I was told that I was making 'too many grammatical mistakes and was making less of an effort on articles that covered topics I did not find particularly engaging. I asked whether they could provide some examples of mistakes I was making and of the articles they were not pleased with so that I could adapt my writing accordingly, and they told me to speak to one of the staff members. When I did, however, he browsed through my past articles with me and was quite perplexed, as there were very few mistakes and he did not think they were particularly serious. After working for a number of different employers now, I realise the value of constructive and consistent feedback, something that I never received at Dennis and I believe prevents people from growing. - I found the content published on Dennis' B2B publications extremely dull and dry. The writing process was extremely repetitive and the topics themselves were often boring and unengaging. - My overall experience at Dennis put me off from taking on full-time jobs in other tech media companies in the UK. I attended interviews for full-time tech reporting jobs once I left Dennis and was actually offered some of these roles. However, as soon as I realized that the work environment was all-British I was instantly put off, as I dreaded finding myself in another similar situation.

Dennis Publishing Response

August 3, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and provide us with some valuable feedback. It is upsetting and embarrassing to know that this has been your experience at Dennis - we do not condone anyone being made to feel singled out and we hope that everyone that works at Dennis feels comfortable in their teams to bring their whole self to work. We can see here from your experience that this certainly has not been the case, and for that, we apologise - we welcome you to get in touch with the People and Talent team so we can discuss this further with you if you wish to do so. We have been listening to our employees, ex-employees and customers over the last couple of months and have now set up a working group within Dennis to start having conversations openly about race and ethnicity. Together we are working on a set of clear, visible actions that are actually going to make a difference to having a far more diverse workplace and we aim to provide a safe space for everyone to feel comfortable enough to raise any issues with us. We know that the past few months have been challenging and we are on a long and difficult journey, with many steps to accomplish, and a lot of difficult conversations to be had, but we also know we need to do this, so thank you for providing this valuable honest feedback.

"Don't believe your own hype"

2.0

I worked at Dennis Publishing full-time

Pros

Agile working culture, and most staff are on the whole helpful, and committed to their daily roles.

Cons

Management have an instilled culture of 'do as I say' not 'as I do. The pub can seem like a better option for most even when the work piles up, cancelled appointments in favor of doing their 'social' bit. Not enough praise or recognition for employees, and a tendency for some within the management structure to either completely blank you at best, and treat you differently to other team members at worst - is that what is meant by being 'brilliiantly different'? Offers of a work/life balance are sold up front through the interview process, but the reality is that if you are told by management to be in the office then that rules. which breaks the employer/employee implied trust.

"Second Floor Hell."

1.0

I worked at Dennis Publishing

Pros

Some lovely people, company is affiliated with a charity which promotes a great cause.

Cons

Senior management extremely sly and indirect. Dennis was promoted to me as an extremely social place which encouraged positive engagement amongst team members - yet senior management would send emails to line managers complaining about 'out of office talk' even during lunch breaks. Management very strict on work attire even though labelled as a creative floor - all the while senior management would wear trainers and casual clothing. Very cliquey, political floor. The general work flow is frustrating - Denis feel the need to try and add more technical processes - use more systems, constant meetings which restricts and slows work. Simplicity is sometimes key. Although contracted to start work at 9:30 you was told to be in for 9:15 (and chastised if you wasn't) apparently it takes 15 minutes to turn a computer on and log in. I wouldn't recommend working on the ad and sales floor at Dennis. If you've worked in a creative field this place is the complete opposite. I did learn a few things but overall my short time there felt a waste,

Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.