Department for Work And Pensions "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Department for Work And Pensions Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Updated 8 Jan 2020

3.5
Department for Work And Pensions Permanent Secretary Peter Schofield
Peter Schofield
Pros
  • "Excellent place to work - Flexi-time, supported by colleagues, really worthwhile and interesting projects to work on with very talented people(in 69 reviews)

• "Flexible working, good people, working from home available(in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes feels like centre managers can act in a tyrannical manner without any checks or intervention from senior management(in 27 reviews)

• "I had to wait 5 weeks for a DWP Surface Pro(in 20 reviews)

Reviews about "senior management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good flexible working , poor management"

Former Contractor - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible working, good people, working from home available

Cons

Poor senior management and decision makers.

Department for Work And Pensions2020-01-08
  2. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not many to be honest other than some tremendous people who work in tough conditions

Cons

Unrealistic deadlines, lack of support from senior management. Some threatening behaviour from retail management

Department for Work And Pensions2019-12-12

"Bullying culture"

Current Employee - Higher Executive Officer

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working with work coaches to deliver support to the most vulnerable

Cons

Bullying target driven culture, micro management, senior management unable to let the managers do their job

Advice to Management

Let go

Department for Work And Pensions2019-12-02

"Executive Officer"

Current Employee - Executive Officer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pension, flexi time (although not as flexible as it used to be).

Cons

Mind numbing, tedious and repetitive work. Senior management positions awarded to staff based on tenure as opposed to actual skills. Dilapidated working environment - office resembles something from the Soviet Union. Incredibly lifeless which also describes most of the workforce. Outdated - it’s evident most of the staff have been with the DWP for many years and have no experience in the private sector which is demonstrated through their lack of ambition and resistance to change. Inefficient running - Public purse so nobody is held accountable for encouraging outdated and wasteful practices. Ideas for improvement fall on deaf ears, staff prefer to stick to what they know. ED Hours - currently working until 8pm in the week and Saturday working hours being introduced.

Advice to Management

Run this place like a business. Listen to your staff when they have ideas to improve the business. From the processes, work environment and majority of staff the business is ancient. Until you recognise what younger people expect from a workplace, you won’t be able to backfill all the retirees in the immediate future.

Department for Work And Pensions2019-09-29

"A Good Career"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in London, England

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexitime. Monday to Friday. Good pension.

Cons

Angry clients. Unemployed clients refusing to take jobs for no good reason. Senior managers who don't understand the job.

Advice to Management

Stay up to date!

Department for Work And Pensions2019-08-30

"Bullying, Racists dreadful managers treat staff like rubbish!"

Former Employee - Administrative Officer in York, England

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Use to be a great place re flexi working - until they appointed terrible bullying managers. The union is so weak it can't protect the staff either.

Cons

Bullying, Racists dreadful managers - dare you complain - the senior managers try to destroy you.

Advice to Management

If you don't want to have metal health issues, be bullied daily - and experience racism. Avoid, Avoid.

Department for Work And Pensions2019-08-04

"Constantly Bullied, Harrassed, Bias Investigation, Comforting Lies, & The Great Cover-Up By A Senior Employee!"

Former Employee - Incapacity Benefit Reassessment (IBR LEAP)-Administrative Officer in Coventry, England

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for less than a year

Pros

During my interview, after having answered the interview panels questions, in relation to the 4 Civil Service Competencies, I had a few questions of my own such as: 1. How long the training will last? The answer was 4 weeks but the group was only given 2-week training and the standard expected was beyond reasonable and ridiculous. One of the members of Staff was quickly reading from the slides when delivering the Training for over an hour. The Module required us (The Group) to have access to our own Smartcards, but due to the highly disorganised Department, we were given a Smartcard when all of the Training was complete and were required to deliver our role ‘to the very highest standard competently and adequately’. Also, when she was delivering the Induction, especially in relation to the Fire Alarm and & Bomb Alarm procedures to be followed when such a situation arose. She was constantly looking at me when mentioning the Bomb Alarm procedure like as if I have a tendency to commit such an act and disregarding the 8 employees who were present in the same room, who need to be informed of the same procedure if such a situation arose. Her approach should've been to inform all members of staff and not single me out like that. However, then she has the audacity to state that she has undertaken the 'unconscious bias' and recommends others to do the same. One of the members of Staff, who was delivering the Training, did provide a great job given the circumstances she was placed in, clearly said that she hasn’t been told as to what our role requires, as she was given a short notice and couldn’t deliver the Training completely, due to the group not being given access to the necessary resources, such as a Smartcard. Another member of Staff, who was delivering the Training, did provide an outstanding job, however, he didn’t tell us how to update the relevant system completely. It was for this reason that the Line Manager could not see the cases, which we had done. Therefore, over 100 cases had to be re-assigned and updated again correctly, so each team member was assigned 20 cases to ensure that they are updated correctly. A third member of Staff, who was delivering the training, provided an outstanding job. He clearly said to the Team Leaders that the standard of work expected from the new starters is beyond reasonable, due to them having no prior benefits experience and expecting them to carry out their own role of Data Gatherers and simultaneously ask for evidence from customers, is the role of a Processor and not a Data Gatherer. Therefore, our sentiment was shared by him which was comforting. 2. Whether there is a Prayer Room? I was told that that the Panel understands that ‘People of my faith and Community Perform prayers. Therefore, it’s not something I should have to worry about’. Also, one of the members of Staff said that there are ‘like-minded individuals like yourself and prayer mats are available’. However, this was far from the truth as there was no ‘Prayer room’ or ‘Prayer mats’ and I hardly met such ‘like-minded individuals.' I've never met such a blatant liar in my life.

Cons

-No access was given to the relevant resources, such as Smartcards or access to the relevant systems at the start of the role, yet we were required 'to carry out our role competently and adequately'. -Even though Bank statements were provided to the Panel, during the interview stage, we all still had Payroll issues for approximately 4 weeks. -Highly disorganised -Constantly being observed by Team Leaders, especially when I used to go to perform my daily prayers. -Legitimate concerns regarding bullying and harassment are brushed under the carpet. -Members of Staff are very selective regarding whom they enforce relevant Policies, relating to Bullying, Harassment & Inappropriate Mobile Phone Usage. For example, mobile phones are strictly not allowed at desks within the Service/Contact Centre. One of the members of Staff made it clear on 15/10/2018 that mobile phones cannot be used or taken out whilst an employee is at their desk, as we will have access to confidential information which needs protecting. Therefore, by adhering to a no mobile phone policy at desks will enable the DWP to deliver the trust and confidence that citizens and other organizations have come to expect from a leading government department. Two team members had their mobile phones out at their desks. The former was making a Snapchat/Instagram video of me, whilst I was dealing with confidential information. The latter was showing me pictures of disabled members of the Royal Family, to substantiate his point regarding epilepsy arising out of close cousin marriages. A team-leading member of staff clearly saw him with his phone being taken out at his desk. However, she came over but didn't say anything to him. This is a clear example of Senior Members of Staff deviating from enforcing the relevant policies, which are in place to protect customer information. Management was informed but did nothing, and as usual, brushed it under the carpet. Both Team Members have been former Civil Servants: the former was an employee at DWP and the latter was an employee at the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs. Therefore, the Standard of Behaviour required from Civil Servants is known to them. However, they failed to adhere to the required standard, therefore, both are clearly not exemplary Civil Servants. -At the start of the role, the focus was on quality and not quantity, however, that changed and the focus was on quantity and quality was being ignored.I dealt with such cases which were completely wrong including the customer's address. -All EO Team Leaders are from a predominant ethnicity and are female, the same applies to HEO's because everyone at that level is female, whereas the only 'Equality & Diversity' is at the AO Level, which is mainly ethnic minorities on Fixed Term Contracts. A prime example of certain roles reserved for certain types and kinds of people, therefore, structural racism. -Treated as a number rather than a person. -No Breaks are given when working overtime on weekends, therefore, causing strain to one's eyes and resulting in headaches. -Private discussions, which are confidential, are disclosed to other members of staff via Skype. -Busybody and Gossipy culture -Conversations are always being eavesdropped by Team Leaders and Team Members -Required to bootlick Team Leaders and Senior Employees to be acknowledged, rather than let one's work ethic and effective time management skills speak for itself. -A Team Member was recording me secretly without my consent and placing me onto his Social Media and subjecting me to mockery and ridicule. Management was informed but decided to brush it under the carpet. - Another Team Member was caught speaking behind my back and when confronted she lied. Thereafter, I told her to take an oath in her mother tongue, she lied under oath and stuttered. Needless to say, Management was informed but decided to brush it under the carpet. However, when I handed my resignation, she was instructed by a managerial member of staff to carry out a cynical performance, to give me the impression that 'her behaviour has changed' therefore 'the matter is being taken seriously'. -A third Team Member was always observing me throughout the whole time. I even caught him through my peripheral vision and looked at him to let him know that I can see you constantly staring at me. He quickly looked away and fixed his eyes to his screen to give me the impression that he is working, which was far from the reality. Management was informed but decided to brush it under the carpet. -I was constantly given dirty looks and stares by the above Team Members, due to them being unable to get information out of me regarding my private life. Also, they viewed me as a rival rather than a team member, my work ethic and many hours of flex credit was causing them 3 a great deal of concern. -Senior Management instructed the above 3 to carry out a cynical performance of ‘changed behaviour’ when I gave my resignation, so I’m given the impression that my legitimate concerns regarding ‘Bullying and Harassment’ are being taken seriously when they have been disregarded for a month.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, it is ignored and falls on deaf ears, therefore I advised others to stay well clear and not to touch the place even with a bargepole. I have taken every reasonable step to express my grievance regarding the bullying and harassment, which I’ve been subjected to since 22/10/2018. I’ve raised the matter informally to one of the managerial members of staff on 5/11/2018 and I was advised that she’ll raise it with the members of staff concerned during their Probation meetings individually. During the discussion, I was advised that I could move desks but not immediately, as it’ll make the members of staff concerned think that the move of desks is due to them. However, I decided to come in early on the 6/11/2018 and I moved desks. Thereafter, I was sent an e-mail stating that she is waiting for a phone call from Human Resource Department (which are based offsite in Sheffield and not onsite. Therefore, preventing any employee from contacting them direct.), so they can state what the next step and outcome should be including the level of misconduct, especially in relation to the 1st Team Member. However, on 13/11/2018 I received an e-mail stating that I need to set it out in writing and it should be done by 15/11/2018 and she apologises for the short notice. Unfortunately, the persistent unwanted behaviour of the members of staff concerned has continued and I raised the matter formally on 16/11/2018 and I was asked to forward it to a managerial member of staff via e-mail, which I did on 22/11/2018. Additionally, I’ve tried to remain patient throughout this entire period whilst the investigation has been ongoing, but since 26/11/2018 I’m constantly being stared at and being given dirty looks with disgust by a 2nd and 3rd Team Member. I even spoke to one of the managerial members of staff regarding it on 27/11/2018 but it’s not being taken seriously and is being disregarded on the basis of me assuming everything. However, I made it clear that on that day, when I went to collect my prints from the printer, a 3rd Team Member was watching me and came towards me, whilst staring at me with disgust and then he waited by my desk to do the exact same. He didn’t collect any prints nor did he collect anything from the cabinet behind me. Thereafter, I asked her as to what the current situation is with the grievance I raised, I was told that HR has decided that 'it doesn’t fall under bullying or harassment and it’s a matter that Management will need to deal with.' I asked her as to whether they will be disciplined for their behaviour and was told that 'its very unlikely and the possible outcome will be for you to move desks to the end of the room.' Additionally, she said that 'I'm not going to be dishing out standards of behaviour and that you should find a place in your heart and soul to forgive them'. It’s clear from the above that my grievance has been taken lightly and the outcome of the formal meeting, has already been decided. I just hope and wish that her loved one undergoes the same treatment and then she can 'find a place' in their corrupt heart & soul to forgive the oppressors. However, a Senior Employee influenced and dictated the outcome of the entire matter so a lid is placed on the matter. She did not have the decency to sit down with me on 05/11/2018 when I raised the matter informally with the managerial member of staff or when my grievance was passed onto her on 19/11/2018. She only decided to sit down with me on the 16/11/2018 so she can get information out of me, regarding the processes and procedures I use to carry out my role efficiently and effectively. Thereafter, she asked 'how long does it take you to complete 1 case?’ To which I responded 15 minutes that’s if the case is not complex and ensuring that the quality is not compromised. Therefore, I told her that I can complete 4 cases per hour and she decided to set all 35 members of staff at the site and other sites, a target to complete 5 cases per hour. Therefore, reinforcing the point that everyone is treated as a number and not a person. Consequently, I could no longer work under such circumstances and as per the terms of my fixed term appointment I resigned on 04/12/2018. On this day, the Senior Employee told me numerous comforting lies by stating that 'we take bullying and harassment very seriously'. (Of course, you do, that's why you've disregarded my grievance regarding the matter since 05/11/2018) She said that 'you may have noticed a change in their behavior as they've had letters sent to them' (This was a lie, as all 3 of them were instructed to carry out a cynical performance since 30/11/2018 as a managerial member of staff took them to a side individually, by stating' (called each Team Member by name) do you have a sec?' and then telling them to put on an act, so I'm given the impression that the matter is being taken seriously, when its far from the truth. The investigation was biased from the start, two of the members of staff acted as note takers when there is clearly a conflict of interest for both of them. The former member of staff was managing all 4 of us, as we are within her Team and it's clear that the perpetrators are her dearest, therefore, rendering the 'objective and impartial note taking' flawed. The same applies to the latter member of staff having a conflict of interest, as an aspect of my grievance was regarding her, for failing to enforce the relevant Inappropriate Mobile Phone Policy, as she is the one who saw Team Member 3 with his phone within the Service Centre and decided to come over to the desk but did nothing. Consequently, rendering the entire investigation bias and subjective. However, it reinforces the prejudice that such members of staff, such as the one of the managerial member of staff, one of the team-leading member of staff, and Senior Employee have towards me. As they failed to enforce the relevant policies against the aforementioned 3 Team Members. But if we change the facts to me being the bully or the one who did what they did to me, they wouldn't waste a second to ensure that I face the consequences of my actions and wouldn't hesitate to recommend my dismissal.

Department for Work And Pensions2019-01-08
  8. "Not fit for purpose"

Former Contractor - AO Support in Liverpool, England

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions for more than a year

Pros

Holiday leave and flexible time when you got if

Cons

Senior management are robots that operate to civil service guidance. There are always new action plans that are never completed..... in the real world this is called fire fighting. No one cares no one works hard to help claimants when they need help and those customers whom abuse the system are aloud to. Constant changes to systems and procedures with no training. I was a telephony agent out of the fifty calls a day I received my team leader would check one or two a month so as many people did you could tell customers what you wanted. Productivity was never monitored so colleagues could do twenty calls a day and nothing said to them. So if your bone idol don’t care about fellow citizens and are happy to be managed by the most none motivating team leaders then this is the job for you. Finally there is no way forward the civil service doesn’t replace leavers so to avoid redundancies BEWARE.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like robots, get a grip on your staff and finally tell the truth.

Department for Work And Pensions2018-09-17
  9. "An improved organisation delivering some of the most challenging welfare reforms in decades"

Current Employee - Change Manager in London, England

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Lots of opportunities for progression in so many business areas. -Flexible working hours and arrangements around childcare etc., although be aware operations required set core hours. -Genuine possibility to change lives. -Flexibility to move into new roles and areas of interest. -DWP has improved significantly in the last few years, with much more focus on improving its corporate and professional image.

Cons

-Very average salary, dictated of course by the political climate. -Senior managers can be seen as out of touch with staff in lower grades.

Department for Work And Pensions2018-01-15
  10. "Great"

Former Intern - Intern in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions for less than a year

Pros

Great team. Given challenging work from the start.

Cons

HR often patronising. Senior management somewhat unaware of actual experience of employees.

Department for Work And Pensions2018-01-09