DoSomething.org "non profit" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

DoSomething.org Employee Reviews about "non profit"

Updated May 22, 2019

4.4
DoSomething.org CEO Aria Finger  (no image)
Aria Finger
Pros
Cons
  • "Compensation (but I guess that's just the downside of working in a non-profit)(in 6 reviews)

• "No cons to speak of, I loved it(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "non profit"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Solid place to intern"

I worked at DoSomething.org

Pros

great people, mission driven company, doing good

Cons

surprisingly competitive internally for a non-profit environment

DoSomething.org2019-05-22

"Good Oppurtunity but Be Careful"

Former Employee - Campaigns

I worked at DoSomething.org full-time

Pros

Brilliant entry level folks. Youthful office, geared towards professional millennials. People are considerate, and generous with help. Great in office technology. Strong networking opportunities. Many perks (like half-day birthdays).

Cons

One of the most traumatizing professional experiences of my life. Hires really talented and forward thinking people, but if you're not in tech, work can seem superfluous. Be prepared to look up after three exhausting months and think "what is impact? what did I even do today?" Extremely political (but not enough important work gets done for that to be okay.) Digital design team is amazing and somehow helps the... organization look more important and impactful than it actually is. Confusing thin line between social and work space. Ie: sometimes you're required to use your personal social media to do work things, but no ethics training on what should or should not be said. Office "warmth" and culture of friendship completely disingenuous. CEO and COO are manipulative and impenetrable. CEO and COO use non-profit business format to lobby (that should be something staff knows coming in.) Lack of system of check and balances, so CEO and COO can literally do whatever they want (No Work Today!), (Everyone work til midnight!) (If you smoke cigarettes you're fired!) Cause-agnostic, which really means that the causes the org focuses on must be on trend at the time. Innovation is limited by what attention the CEO is trying to attract. If you come up with a cool idea but 3M wouldn't care about it, she doesn't care either.

Advice to Management

Do some soul-searching. Lean towards the transparent. Do not hire people that do not fit your vision or brand to seem "worldly." Stop treating your staff like the idea that one day you'll be asking them for a job or professional opportunity is impossible. Do more than post on Linkedin and Facebook about your employees - actually respect them.

DoSomething.org2015-12-08
  3. "Intern"

I worked at DoSomething.org

Pros

Interning at DoSomething was one of the most valuable experiences I have ever had. After now working at a handful of other non-profits I can say with certainty that DoSomething is one of the best places to intern. As a young person they give you real responsibility and treat you like an adult. The organization is also extremely professional which is hard to find in the non-profit world. I highly recommend it!

Cons

I did not find any large downsides. I would say commuting to the city gets difficult because they plan a number of afterwork activities for interns!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

DoSomething.org2015-08-29
  4. "A workplace where careers that don't feel like a work!"

Former Intern - High School Intern in New York, NY

I worked at DoSomething.org for less than a year

Pros

Being Deaf and using ASL as primary communication tool, they have shown that they value their employees including interns like me by ensuring doing everything they can do to accommodate my needs. Everybody here has some kind of passion toward this workplace. I do not get stipends as high school intern but my experience at there is nothing you can put price on!

Cons

DoSomething.org is non-profit organization so Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) was not applicable, which mean they were not in position to hire an interpreter.

DoSomething.org2014-12-29

"Good people"

I worked at DoSomething.org for less than a year

Pros

The people are really fun, peppy, and get things done. There is a relatively clear sense of direction, along with overall goals, and there are many opportunities for employees to have input to the direction of the company

Cons

It is a non-profit, so compensation is not that high (though neither is it too low). Things can also get hectic, and on some teams schedules do not seem to mean that much (internal deadlines pass, meetings have to get moved, and the like)

DoSomething.org2014-10-07

"Strong Internship Program"

Current Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at DoSomething.org for less than a year

Pros

- Great work environment and company culture - Many collaborative projects (across departments) - Good work/life balance (I didn't work here as a full-time staff member, but I gauged that from my interactions)

Cons

- Compensation (but I guess that's just the downside of working in a non-profit)

Advice to Management

Great place to work. Creative thinkers and tech-people should be a priority when hiring.

DoSomething.org2014-04-06

"Outstanding environment to learn, contribute & make an impact!"

Former Employee - Social Entrepreneurship Manager in New York, NY

I worked at DoSomething.org full-time for more than a year

Pros

You won't find another non-profit with smarter staff or more passionate players than at Do Something. They make work fun and change in the world achievable. It's an inspiring culture that really values good people & work!

Cons

So much passion also means that a work/life balance can be difficult at times. Emails will come in at all hours of the day and night but it's not impossible to set boundaries. With so many big and exciting projects, you may not want to though. And at the very least you're not bored like at your previous job, right?!

DoSomething.org2013-12-02

"Great on the surface and in theory"

I have been working at DoSomething.org

Pros

-young, amazingly talented co workers who work their butts off to make things happen, even with crazy deadlines -leading the way with social media/web strategies in the non profit world -large learning curve (if you get a chance to take in what you're learning before you're off on the next project) -relaxed, informal and quirky environment--great for being yourself and for being creative

Cons

the staff operates on a "yes always" policy. No matter how irrational or unreasonable a project can be, it will be done. no structure--everything is always changing with very little, to no warning. titles of jobs, the roles within jobs, the way departments communicate. there's not one process projects are changed (usually at the last min) on the whim of the CEO no real strategy behind projects, campaigns or... organizational direction. a lot or risk factors are being ignored (high attrition of staff, lack of real marketing partners, burning through subscribers in lists due to asking them to forward information to their friends on a constant basis) no honest feedback to management--the culture is to act like everything is fine when it's not. even if there are concerns, it falls on deaf ears no room for growth

Advice to Management

be open to feedback from employees, and respect their opinions, even if they differ from your own. culture shouldn't be about making carbon copies of personalities and trains of thought

DoSomething.org2013-03-05

"A great place for someone passionate, fast-paced."

I worked at DoSomething.org full-time

Pros

Almost everyone who works there will agree - you will get opportunities here that you won't get anywhere else. They provide an amazing amount of responsibility and trust. Salary is not gonna be like a bank, but compared to other non-profits, it's high. Don't discount the amazing benefits - my insurance covered EVERYTHING (including some unsightly moles I had lopped off at no cost). Very social office. It's... a positive environment. Often "fast-paced" has a negative connotation. Overall, I loved working here.

Cons

This is not a place for someone who just wants to show up and coast through til a paycheck. You've gotta be interested in what you're doing, because it is a lot of work. However, if you're passionate and ready for a challenge, it's worth it. It is fast paced. If that's a con to you, this might not be for you.

DoSomething.org2012-12-10
  10. "Awesome culture, face pace learning environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at DoSomething.org full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers from top to bottom and well networked,

Cons

Non-profit salary is a drawback in an expensive city like NYC

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good work

DoSomething.org2012-12-26