Domestic & General Group Reviews

Updated 1 May 2021

3.5
Domestic & General Group CEO Ian Mason
Ian Mason
Pros
  • "Management is very supportive including your team leaders , great place to meet new people and very friendly and comfortable environment to be in(in 31 reviews)

• "Great people and real collaborative working, everyone trying to move forwards(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "Team leaders overworked and not able to commit enough time to agents needs(in 36 reviews)

• "d amp g(in 18 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Brighton, England, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training, met lots of nice people

Cons

you should not be ill

March 24, 2021Site Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We wish you the very best in your future endeavours.

2. COVID-19

"Great at the beginning, mentally draining by the end."

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Nottingham, England, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The wage, 2019 was a great fun year for D&G a lot of laughs and smiles in the office, it went down hill once managers with a stick up their behind took over.

Cons

I can list many cons about D&G, first of all from the beginning they sold us a dream about “Customer first” this customer is all but “Customer first” SELL SELL SELL is all these managers know, yes a company requires to sell to make money but this is greed. You have increased targets during the pandemic and I’m also hearing from the grapevine you are increasing these again, it’s unheard of, the customers DO NOT WANT THIS PRODUCT, how can you continue to force your staff to sell it on a ridiculous basis, the calls are filtered between top and bottom agents to make it easier for new starters to warm up. If you want a quick 6 month income go for it, don’t treat it as long term as it will damage your mental health ridiculously.

March 24, 2021Site Director

Thank you for your review, although I am really disappointed to read your comments. I appreciate you no longer work in the business but I would encourage you to reach out to me directly, so that I can try to better understand your feedback. Please contact me directly (Julie Gowland) – Site Director Nottingham julie.gowland@domesticandgeneral.com.

3. ""Support" more like "Sales or we're firing you""

2.0
    Former Employee - Support Agent in Brighton, England, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cant argue with how well they pay considering its a call centre job. Most of the support and resolutions staff members are very nice, don't really know about the other departments.

Cons

You're expected to work 9 hours a day and pitch a sale on every single call, failing to meet sales targets will get you in trouble. Customers are not super understanding that you need to pitch on every call, its not a choice its a must. Very strict QA which relies on you following a robotic script to the word, if you mess up the script you fail QA and lose part of your salary for the month, if you fail twice you lose all of it. Team leaders and trainers who do not have to work on the phones at all and do not properly understand what its like being on the phones. "Flexible" schedule that is in fact not flexible and basically randomised. Poor computer systems. When the company moved us to remote working there were no provisions for working from home. For me this meant paying a lot in extra electricity bills with less support from my team and team leader leading to a lot of stress.

March 16, 2021Resourcing Advisor

Thank you for your review , feedback is very important to me so that I can ensure we continually improve how we work at Domestic and General. I am sorry to read your comments, at least one of them is factually incorrect, therefore I would be keen to speak directly with you. Please do send me an email – Chris Goudie (Site Director – Brighton) chris.goudie@domesticandgeneral.com, as I would be keen to understand in more depth.

4. "They talk a good game"

Current Employee - Sales Agent

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good equipment , wealthy company.. line managers are fantastic

Cons

They talk about welfare etc but dont really know what it is . They are rigid with policies and processes to their own detriment , Senior management are all about figures and have no earthly clue about real people.

5. "good"

Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

it was fun all the time

Cons

none. It was absolutely brill.

April 30, 2021Resourcing Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and share your feedback. It is great to read your positive comments and we are pleased that you are enjoying your role. We are excited to see your career progress here at D&G!

6. "A lot of people enjoy it some don't"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Brighton, England, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

Big company, a lot of people, internal promotions, ok salary, easy job after getting used to the systems

Cons

A lot of management, some people find it difficult to stay on, things need to be done in a specific way as requested, can be monotonous and is hard to get promoted since so many people want to advance and there aren't that many positions available, very competitive

April 16, 2021Resourcing Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your time working with Domestic & General. I'm sorry to read you felt it was difficult to get promoted within the business, we do however have set policies in place to ensure fair internal promotions at specific times of the year. We understand you no longer work with us but we wish you the very best in your future endeavours.

7. "Great people make it worth staying a while"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Executive in Wimbledon, England, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, culture, location, engagement, fun

Cons

Pay, too much middle management, hard to progress

April 30, 2021Resourcing Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and sharing your feedback during your time working with us. We appreciate your comments and we wish you the very best in your future endeavours.

8. COVID-19

"Amazing team and working environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Open and welcoming team - Management is down to earth and supportive - Highly motivated and knowledgeable team who care about the company's performance - A great working environment that welcomes constructive feedback and supports/encourages continuous improvement at an individual level (this is hard to find)

Cons

- Something very minor as it's the only criticism I can think of: The induction for the IT side of things could have been smoother but I understand that it's a challenge with coronavirus and WFH at the moment. Issues I had were resolved quickly by the IT department.

April 6, 2021Resourcing Advisor

Thank you for leaving such a great review! We are delighted to have you onboard with us and your comments are really pleasing to read. I am pleased your experience joining us virtually has been positive and you are settling in well. We are continuously looking for ways to improve the onboarding of our new joiners, especially given we are all working from home at the moment and we welcome all feedback given. We look forwards to seeing your career develop with us here at Domestic & General.

9. "Customer Sales D & G"

Former Employee - Manager in Brighton, England, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People are really nice, the environment was clean and modern since a refurbishment. They listen and act on feedback.

Cons

No room to develop in Brighton although this is not the case if you transfer to the London site .

May 4, 2021Site Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. We are really pleased to read your comments regarding the refurbishment in Brighton, we are really proud of this and how the contact centre has evolved, we are also looking forwards to the refurbishment of our Wimbledon offices. Feedback is incredibly important to us and we encourage all of our employees to provide this as and when they feel necessary, this in turn helps us improve as a business. We appreciate your feedback and we wish you the very best in your future endeavours.

10. "Exciting & Rewarding but I feel I deserve MORE."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Nottingham, England, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Our Team leader is always motivating us with fun games and incentives(Which I win 90% of them). I by being myself gained confidence from team leader and others workers helped massively, D & G care for us! They are always and still are flexible for time off in a emergency situation. They have always made sure I was OK, They have loads of work incentives from half hour off phone to great prises. They offer a finance option for there employees,

Cons

There aren't many faults to be honest but 2 I have to say personally I think the system is truly unfair, I get and not being big headed its just fact, At least 100+ more sales than the next person, Sometimes it feels like I'm a spare part, Being over looked for positions I could easily fit, There loss if I go for a better paid job, been waiting months for my pay rise, Also I coach and do other job roles without any rise in pay.

January 20, 2021Site Director

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased that your team leader is motivating and you enjoy the incentives that we have on offer to employees. In regards to your concerns I would be keen to discuss this directly with you in further detail, to understand further. Please send me an email (julie.gowland@domesticandgeneral.com) and I will be in touch to discuss.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 455 Reviews