Domestic & General Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

Domestic & General Group CEO Ian Mason
Ian Mason

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a sense of cameraderie between employees and most team leaders are very easy to get along with" (in 20 reviews)

• "Great company to work for, great people, progression and training" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "But the main one is the management and team leaders" (in 21 reviews)

• "Career progression is a carrot dangled in front of you" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An exciting & rewarding place to work, which is growing from strength to strength!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for D&G for many years and across various departments. The business has grown and evolved over the years (positively) and having been part of the transformation over the years, I feel very proud to work for this company.

Over the years I've worked in various roles, including as a call taking agent for my first three years, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The place is filled with passionate, creative, inspiring people (Agents, Team Leaders, Trainers, Managers, Support Functions - there really are great people across the board). I've had the pleasure of working for leaders who have inspired and made me feel empowered to build a rewarding career at D&G. I've enjoyed countless training & development opportunities, had the chance to be involved in change (through workshops & projects), and been made to feel valued.

Like any business, there have been times where we've faced challenges, but watching everyone pulling together as one team, to support each other, share ideas & solutions, and come through successfully, enforces that sense of pride I have for the company.

The company is continuously looking for ways to raise standards, and does so in a professional way. The company invests a lot of money and resource into growing & developing the business, as well as developing & supporting it's staff. Regular coaching, team meetings, "buzz sessions / huddles", 121's, well being meetings, incentives and so on, helps to create a very supportive environment. A lot of this good work sometimes goes unnoticed, so I wanted to shout about it here!

Overall I've thoroughly enjoyed my time working for D&G, and look forward to many more successful years. It's not only given me a great opportunity to build a life long career, but it's also helped me to grow as a person - I've learned so many skills that have helped me in life as well as at work. D&G does invest in its people, and opportunities do come to those who are willing to work hard and have a positive "can do" attitude.

Cons

In order to progress within certain areas of the business, there is often a long wait for opportunities to come up. I don't believe this is the fault of the business, as it's the nature of having a limited amount of certain roles, and a high demand - but it can sometimes make people feel that they are waiting indefinitely for the role that interests them to come up.

Additionally, I feel we can do more to raise awareness of the broad range of areas & functions we have across the business, to help individuals recognize roles where their skills & experience are suited to.

Having said all of that, I know that the business is already doing some work around career development, and look forward to seeing it develop!

Advice to Management

It's been great to see the business transform over recent years, particularly in embracing our values and taking an "inclusive" approach, involving more of our front line colleagues and contact center staff.

I would simply encourage management to continue to trust it's people, and involve them. Change has a much better chance to succeed when you involve those people who live and breathe it, from the very start.

My final comment to management is, contrary to what you may hear, you have a lot of passionate, enthusiastic, optimistic people working in your contact centers who ARE proud to work for D&G - we're making the right kind of changes and there are a lot here on the front lines, who want nothing but success.

2. "People really do make the place"

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent people all over the floor

Cons

It's a call centre job pretty dull most of the time

3. "Huge potential on right track"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wimbledon, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked at Domestic & General for just over 3 years I've seen a significant change, in particular in the last 18 months. The focus on culture is excellent, and the company has moved from 'chasing fee' to investing in a sustainable customer oriented strategy & vision. The people are excellent, and there is a real connect between teams, and across levels of management. D&G are also very good at what they do, and are making investments in some cutting edge technology that will help deliver a step change. In short, it's an exciting place to be at the moment, and there's a real sense that, by continuing to focus on the right things, the company could really deliver something special. Moreover, the work life balance is great, although this tends to be driven by direct line managers rather than having a cross-company policy.

Cons

The 'old' way of doing things (chasing fee, focusing on sales, not putting the customer first) occasioanlly has a tendancy to rear it's head, and it's important the management watch out for this. Career progression is limited due to he size of the organisation, but D&G does make up for this through offering variety within roles. D&G also has a tendancy to over complicate things (especially when requested from clients).

Advice to Management

Keep focused on delivering against the strategy, plan and vision. Don't get distracted by short term goals. Keep things simple, less is more.

4. "A great place to work..."

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

Amazing people who genuinely do care about what they do and prioritise based on customer needs not profit. I have been with the company for a number of years and have witnessed first hand how the culture has shifted towards growth through good service.

Cons

Career progression can be slow.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook people that have the added benefit of longstanding business knowledge when searching for talent.

5. "Good if you like selling"

I worked at Domestic & General Group part-time

Pros

Good training,friendly people plenty of breaks

Cons

Too easy to lose bonus

6. "Team Leader"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Customer focused
    - Investors in people & customer journey
    - The people care
    - Great progression routes
    - Deliver on promises
    - Open to you ideas to improve
    - Good pay
    - Good holiday days
    -Great Health well being support

Cons

- shift work
    - split Christmas do's
    - external recruitment - needs more in house support
    - not enough department interaction
    - no Team Leader incentive involvement.

Advice to Management

Continue to reach out and grow the company from the inside.

7. "Customer Service Advisor"

I worked at Domestic & General Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Salary and good atmosphere at work

Cons

Long hours and many customers to deal with

8. "Sales Outbound"

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

- Excellent training
    - Friendly team and managers
    - Great incentives

Cons

- Difficult customer base (lots of abuse on phone)

9. "Customer service representative"

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

monthly rewards for hitting sales targets

Cons

constant pressure for sales
    systems are lagging and sometimes fail to record sales
    management are slow and not responsive, especially to terms negotiated during the interview process.

"Not sure how much our HR leadership team actually live our cultural & values..."

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

The organisation is going places and since we launched our new 5 year strategy last year we have moved leaps and bounds towards putting our customers first and investing more in our people and taking steps towards changing our culture.

Decent location, only a few minutes walk from the local station with local shops, supermarkets that are easily accessible. Many of the shops we can get decent discounts on been a D&G employee.

For the most part there is decent work/life balance where as long as you are doing your hours, no one is micromanaging you, you have the flexibility to work from home or flex start finish times as it suits you.

There is a certain level of autonomy you are given to do what you need to do. Although this is sometimes negated when senior managers just end up going over you head anyway!

There are some great leaders and people who work for D&G and in terms of the feel of the office it is quiet relaxed and laid back for a financial services company though there is still a lot to do to further breakdown some of the corporate behaviours that can come up.

Cons

HR have been driving the culture programme but unfortunately very few of the HR leadership team actually live our values. Due to this the D&G HR team are constantly losing good people meaning projects are constantly stopping and starting.

The culture is very much the HR leadership vs everyone else and If you share an opinion/idea or challenge that is not agreed with by some of the leadership team you can sometimes be 'punished'/ignored/treated like a child and be cut off from ever been involved in further projects or recognised for the value you are adding. Unfortunately I can count on one hand how many times a few people from the HR leadership team have even spoken to me in the time I’ve been here!

Communication isn’t great, we recently had desk move that the leadership team had been discussing with IT and facilities but did not speak to anyone in HR to make them aware until someone walked over to our desks to start unplugging our machines!

Career development/progression only happens if you are part of the HR leadership teams 'cool club'. If you are outside that you have no chance. What career development/careers conversations look like is been told what you have to work on and do instead of what do you need to be involved in for your development

No company is perfect so that is not what I would expect. However I’ve never worked in a company where I was not even treated like a human being. The HR leadership team need to recognise that people have feelings and just want to be treated fairly. In the space of 3 months 5 people have resigned from the HR department (not to mention the ones that were made to leave because it just wasn’t 'working out') and nothing has been done to address the issues. To me something is obviously not working and needs to be fixed ASAP otherwise the HR department will be a constant revolving door of people.

What will the quality of the delivery be like from the HR team if everyone keeps leaving or there is constant change of hands. It is very difficult for a function to work or make an real good progress that way. The HR team and our people are at the core of a business and I think more needs to be done to address some of these behaviours from some of the HR leadership team that are not aligned to or promote our values in the best light. As a function if we are not role modelling these values how can we expect the rest of the business to follow suit.

Advice to Management

If you are thinking about joining D&G (more specifically the HR department) just think about whether the environment at present is right for you. Ask as many questions as possible from people who actually work here to give you a better idea.

Domestic & General Group Response

24 Jul 2018 – Director of Business Partnering & Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We're really sorry you feel this way and reading this feedback deeply concerns us. As a leadership team we are committed to role modelling all our... More