Domestic & General Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.9
Domestic & General Group CEO Ian Mason
Ian Mason

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There is a sense of cameraderie between employees and most team leaders are very easy to get along with" (in 21 reviews)

• "Great company to work for, great people, progression and training" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "But the main one is the management and team leaders" (in 24 reviews)

• "Career progression is a carrot dangled in front of you" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An exciting & rewarding place to work, which is growing from strength to strength!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for D&G for many years and across various departments. The business has grown and evolved over the years (positively) and having been part of the transformation over the years, I feel very proud to work for this company.

Over the years I've worked in various roles, including as a call taking agent for my first three years, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The place is filled with passionate, creative, inspiring people (Agents, Team Leaders, Trainers, Managers, Support Functions - there really are great people across the board). I've had the pleasure of working for leaders who have inspired and made me feel empowered to build a rewarding career at D&G. I've enjoyed countless training & development opportunities, had the chance to be involved in change (through workshops & projects), and been made to feel valued.

Like any business, there have been times where we've faced challenges, but watching everyone pulling together as one team, to support each other, share ideas & solutions, and come through successfully, enforces that sense of pride I have for the company.

The company is continuously looking for ways to raise standards, and does so in a professional way. The company invests a lot of money and resource into growing & developing the business, as well as developing & supporting it's staff. Regular coaching, team meetings, "buzz sessions / huddles", 121's, well being meetings, incentives and so on, helps to create a very supportive environment. A lot of this good work sometimes goes unnoticed, so I wanted to shout about it here!

Overall I've thoroughly enjoyed my time working for D&G, and look forward to many more successful years. It's not only given me a great opportunity to build a life long career, but it's also helped me to grow as a person - I've learned so many skills that have helped me in life as well as at work. D&G does invest in its people, and opportunities do come to those who are willing to work hard and have a positive "can do" attitude.

Cons

In order to progress within certain areas of the business, there is often a long wait for opportunities to come up. I don't believe this is the fault of the business, as it's the nature of having a limited amount of certain roles, and a high demand - but it can sometimes make people feel that they are waiting indefinitely for the role that interests them to come up.

Additionally, I feel we can do more to raise awareness of the broad range of areas & functions we have across the business, to help individuals recognize roles where their skills & experience are suited to.

Having said all of that, I know that the business is already doing some work around career development, and look forward to seeing it develop!

Advice to Management

It's been great to see the business transform over recent years, particularly in embracing our values and taking an "inclusive" approach, involving more of our front line colleagues and contact center staff.

I would simply encourage management to continue to trust it's people, and involve them. Change has a much better chance to succeed when you involve those people who live and breathe it, from the very start.

My final comment to management is, contrary to what you may hear, you have a lot of passionate, enthusiastic, optimistic people working in your contact centers who ARE proud to work for D&G - we're making the right kind of changes and there are a lot here on the front lines, who want nothing but success.

"A great place to work..."

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

Amazing people who genuinely do care about what they do and prioritise based on customer needs not profit. I have been with the company for a number of years and have witnessed first hand how the culture has shifted towards growth through good service.

Cons

Career progression can be slow.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook people that have the added benefit of longstanding business knowledge when searching for talent.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent wage , great staff very friendly work environment

Cons

Hours in my dpt vary from earlies/lates an an irregular fashion at times. Somewhat broken communication between different departments within the company

Advice to Management

Really impressed by the customer focused attitude that has filtered down from upper management (in particular over past 2 years). Have had excellent team leaders over last 4 years. My advice to any management would be continue to believe in your teams ability to deliver excellent customer service!

4. "Lot's going on"

Pros

The people and the can do culture

Cons

The amount of changes that have happened are a planned to happen

"pretty good"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great salary and bonus scheme

Cons

workload and shift pattern assigned

"Good Place To Work"

Pros

Good People
    Pay is good
    Morale is high

Cons

Busy periods can get you down

7. "Domestic and General Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Retention Agent in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Retention Agent in Nottingham, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The location is in the centre of Nottingham

Cons

Unrealistic and un achievable sales targets. Bully team leaders

Advice to Management

Look at how the previous managers valued and appreciated their members of staff. All the company is focused on now is making a quick penny without care or consideration for staff and customers.

"*"

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some individuals would collaborate to get the job done

Cons

Poor management
    Too many meetings
    Lots of obstacles and red tape involved to get anything done - frustrating
    Difficult to trust people as at times was prone to one up-manship

Advice to Management

Re the values - practice what you preach - lead by example
    Stop allowing the bully boy behaviour that takes place

"Oh dear!"

Former Employee - TELESALES Representative in Brighton, England
    Former Employee - TELESALES Representative in Brighton, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people work there. Young and vibrant at times.

Cons

Very noisy - you have to turn headset up to hear customers - not good for your hearing! Late finishing if you get a call come thru at 7.59pm! You get nothing for extra time on calls beyond end of shift - they are very time conscious from their end though - measured in seconds if late. Highly pressured to reach targets - floor targets change constantly, inconsistent leadership, poor equipment and desk space is often cramped and often filthy.

Advice to Management

Sort out the building and facilities - months with no hot water is not good and germs spread like wildfire as not everyone uses hand gel. Keep targets constant to reward hard working staff - it is hard work. Dont move them to, I guess, save company money.

"AWFUL"

Former Employee - Contact Centre Agent in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Contact Centre Agent in Nottingham, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few good things about working at d&g. One of them being you meet many different people and make many friends!
    The salary is very good also.

Cons

Awful management as team leaders and others treat you as a number and don’t care about your health or wellbeing.
    Some team leaders are very unprofessional, rude and don’t care.
    You’re treated very poor and unfairly.
    Was told there were many career opportunities but that was a lie and they don’t want you to progress.

Advice to Management

Sort your management out as many people leave due to being treated unfairly.