Domestic & General Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Domestic & General Group CEO Ian Mason
Ian Mason

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits for staff, nice and friendly colleagues, supportive management and team leaders" (in 24 reviews)

• "Great company to work for, great people, progression and training" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "But the main one is the management and team leaders" (in 28 reviews)

• "Career progression is limited due to he size of the organisation, but D&G does make up for this through offering variety within roles" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An exciting & rewarding place to work, which is growing from strength to strength!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for D&G for many years and across various departments. The business has grown and evolved over the years (positively) and having been part of the transformation over the years, I feel very proud to work for this company.

Over the years I've worked in various roles, including as a call taking agent for my first three years, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The place is filled with passionate, creative, inspiring people (Agents, Team Leaders, Trainers, Managers, Support Functions - there really are great people across the board). I've had the pleasure of working for leaders who have inspired and made me feel empowered to build a rewarding career at D&G. I've enjoyed countless training & development opportunities, had the chance to be involved in change (through workshops & projects), and been made to feel valued.

Like any business, there have been times where we've faced challenges, but watching everyone pulling together as one team, to support each other, share ideas & solutions, and come through successfully, enforces that sense of pride I have for the company.

The company is continuously looking for ways to raise standards, and does so in a professional way. The company invests a lot of money and resource into growing & developing the business, as well as developing & supporting it's staff. Regular coaching, team meetings, "buzz sessions / huddles", 121's, well being meetings, incentives and so on, helps to create a very supportive environment. A lot of this good work sometimes goes unnoticed, so I wanted to shout about it here!

Overall I've thoroughly enjoyed my time working for D&G, and look forward to many more successful years. It's not only given me a great opportunity to build a life long career, but it's also helped me to grow as a person - I've learned so many skills that have helped me in life as well as at work. D&G does invest in its people, and opportunities do come to those who are willing to work hard and have a positive "can do" attitude.

Cons

In order to progress within certain areas of the business, there is often a long wait for opportunities to come up. I don't believe this is the fault of the business, as it's the nature of having a limited amount of certain roles, and a high demand - but it can sometimes make people feel that they are waiting indefinitely for the role that interests them to come up.

Additionally, I feel we can do more to raise awareness of the broad range of areas & functions we have across the business, to help individuals recognize roles where their skills & experience are suited to.

Having said all of that, I know that the business is already doing some work around career development, and look forward to seeing it develop!

Advice to Management

It's been great to see the business transform over recent years, particularly in embracing our values and taking an "inclusive" approach, involving more of our front line colleagues and contact center staff.

I would simply encourage management to continue to trust it's people, and involve them. Change has a much better chance to succeed when you involve those people who live and breathe it, from the very start.

My final comment to management is, contrary to what you may hear, you have a lot of passionate, enthusiastic, optimistic people working in your contact centers who ARE proud to work for D&G - we're making the right kind of changes and there are a lot here on the front lines, who want nothing but success.

2. "Great company to work for with a fantastic culture"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Domestic & General value every single member of staff from the Call Centre Agents right through to the management and operational teams. There is a great company wide culture where people are professional, driven and passionate about working for Domestic & General.

Progression opportunities are great and they really do look to train and coach internal employees to enable them to progress into different roles and other areas of the business.

Salaries at Domestic & General are very competitive with fantastic incentives and bonuses across all pay structures.

During my first couple of weeks I was extremely surprised at how friendly everyone in the Brighton office was. I felt at home straight away. I had a great induction with detailed training. I felt that the senior stakeholders, managers and my line manger was always there to support with any questions I had and any additional training I needed to successfully fulfil my new role.

Cons

When I first started in my role the Brighton office was quite dated however this has just gone through a massive transformation with a £1.4 million refurbishment and the office is now modern and clean.

3. "Great company to work for - caring and lots of opportunities"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can tell they care about customers and staff, loads of great initiatives like discounts, free tea, coffee fruit and snacks. Managers seem like they care what you have to say and they take it on board, sometimes even making changes based on suggestions. They’ve just revamped the office and it feels really modern and it’s made a big difference to people’s moods. Good bonus and pay for Brighton! I’ve personally been given some really good opportunities to get involved in to help my career experience :)

Cons

Some managers are really good but some don’t seem to care sometimes. Mine is great but you can tell there are some issues with others and it can impact morale occasionally

Advice to Management

Address the issues with the minority of managers who have a negative attitude, they are quite easy to spot!

18 Apr 2019 – HR BP

Thanks for the great review. We are really proud of the investment that has gone into refreshing our Brighton office and the new cafe that has opened over the last couple of days. It is great that... More

4. "Fantastic"

Former Employee - Call Centre Agent in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Call Centre Agent in Nottingham, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere nice team great people. Great place to work for

Cons

There are no con's that i can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

18 Apr 2019 – HR BP

Thanks for your wonderful review, we are delighted that you enjoyed working for D&G

5. "Good money, poor management"

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

Amazing pay for what you do, often given random rewards like free tv's or £200 tax free in your pay

Cons

Management don't seem to know what they're doing and not 100% understanding

Advice to Management

See early warning signs that your staff/TLs are struggling and offer help

18 Apr 2019 – HR BP

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your positive feedback on our employee pay and benefits. We are continuously investing in our people managers and ensuring they have the tools... More

6. "Good"

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

Pay was very very good

Cons

Dial system was not good

18 Apr 2019 – HR BP

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we are delighted that you enjoyed working for us

7. "D&G Nottingham"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Nottingham, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for staff, nice and friendly colleagues, supportive management and team leaders. Good salary. They really try to make work place much better and invest a lot to their employees. That is a great benefit to the company as they care about their people.

Cons

Basically everything the same as listed already by others. Working hours and shifts are horrible, very hard to maintain work-life balance. Commissions structure is not fair. Stats are more important than actual calls. Communication problems with internal departments are very high, people from other departments can be very rude and unhelpful. Hard to get days off, same day annual leave is very unfair.

Advice to Management

Interact more with agents and listen to real issues why some targets aren't hit. Stop looking to stats and numbers only, listen to actual calls instead. Sometimes it seems like management knows very little what we are actually doing, they only care about stats..
    Try to look into shift patterns, as most of the people leaving company because of them. Shift patterns can be really changed, some of shifts are without logic.

8. "Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with except the management.

Cons

Bullying culture in some areas like an old boys club almost. The culture of this place needs a dramatic change to retain talent as they don't listen to their staff which they hire for their experience or skill set. Many other great company's to work for in Nottingham so don't bother with this one.

Advice to Management

Being more diverse in the management structure might be a start.

18 Apr 2019 – HR BP

Thanks for your review. I'm really sorry you felt this way and were not able to raise these issues before you left. We have invested a lot in our company culture over the last 18 months, and it is... More

9. "Domestic and general outbound sky"

Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Part-time Sales Advisor

I worked at Domestic & General Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was good and we had the chance to have free hot drinks

Cons

Bad management
    Stressful
    And a lot of pressure to get sales

18 Apr 2019 – HR BP

Thanks for leaving a review, we are pleased you enjoyed our pay and benefits whilst working here. We are sorry you were not able to raise your other concerns before you left

10. "Customer support"

Current Employee - Customer Support in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good
    Pay could be better tho

Cons

Stats - sometimes unrealistic

Advice to Management

Can be very clicky