Domestic & General Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.9
Domestic & General Group CEO Ian Mason
Ian Mason

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a sense of cameraderie between employees and most team leaders are very easy to get along with (in 19 reviews)

• Great company to work for, great people, progression and training (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • But the main one is the management and team leaders (in 21 reviews)

• Career progression is a carrot dangled in front of you (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Working at Domestic and General"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Domestic and General is in the middle of going through such an exciting journey. I’m proud to be a part of the huge cultural shift. Making our customers the heart of our business and investing in our people

Cons

I’d love to see some off site team building days. Something a bit more relaxed for the leadership team

Advice to Management

The role out of Customer First is one of our best business decisions for a long time. I’m glad to be part of it

2. "Good place"

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Agent in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Agent in Nottingham, England

I worked at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff
    Good pay
    Chance to do overtime

Cons

Work some weekends
    Targets go up

"So much to look forward to"

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

people, location, fruit days, office itself (facilities are lovely!), ability to have an impact

D&G is on a journey to change its culture and become a more customer centric business. Since last year, I can definitely see a massive shift in the way we do things, not just for the benefit of our customers but also for the benefit of our colleagues. Yes, there is always more to do and culture doesn't change overnight, you have to work at it relentlessly, but compared to other places I have worked we have moved mountains in a short amount of time! Sometimes some of our people have a tendency to forget how much we have achieved when compared to a year ago - because there is still so much more to be done to become a truly respectable employer and brand. But we will get there with the right attitude and if people stick to our values when the going gets though! People and most leaders are starting to understand that whilst it is important to hit the targets (let's face it how else can you generate revenue?), how you go about hitting those targets is just as, if not, more important (which is where the new culture and employee engagement efforts come in). Overall D&G employs some amazing people in all countries (UK, Iberia, France, Italy, Australia, Germany), and genuinely everyone I have interacted with is nice and wants to do a good job. I know it's a small thing, but I love that they provide free fruit on select days! The benefits & compensation package is ok (for my job I would be willing to say super competitive), but what I truly value about working at D&G are the following: being part of an AMAZING team, my work life balance (I start at 9 and I rarely finish later than 18:00), proximity to home (because I live in Wimbledon the fact that I don't have to commute to central London is a massive bonus) and being given a job which allows me to have an impact across the organisation. I think I am quite a happy case and that other colleagues in other areas have potentially different experiences to mine, but I'm of the view that if you don't like something you should make the positive change happen and always strive to see the glass half full. I think the future at D&G looks promising!

Cons

Relative depending on function/office - in Wimbledon there is still a bit of silo working and some leaders who are not displaying the right behaviours and cannot develop their people

Advice to Management

You need to focus on culture and engagement if you want to retain top talent

"**Great company to work for, great people, progression and Development**"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, great people, progression and training! Lots of support and great company values which carry right through the veins of D&G!
    Couldn’t wish to work for a better organisation!
    - Great staff benefits
    - Amazing break out area
    - Market leading products
    - Innovative training and development
    - Great pay and benefits

Cons

Be prepared to work all hours and give the highest level of customer service, If you don’t value a tremendously high level customer journey and MAGIC cultures you need not apply!

5. "Developed my career at D&G"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Wimbledon, England
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A growing business that is focused on continuously improving customer service. Never a dull moment, many projects and challenges that allow employees to make significant achievements and develop careers.

Cons

We know that we need to improve in certain areas of our customer journey and are making progress but these things take time.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the customer.

"Changing for the better"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Brighton, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team Leaders and teams on the Sky Outbound department are working hard to make this a great place to work. Thinking about the customers and not just selling things to them but taking into account their interests. Lots of Support and development opportunities available. Usually a fun place to work.

Cons

The outbound role can be exhausting at times on Teams and TL's and this could be recognized more through incentives and team outings.
    Toilets leave a lot to be desired for - I know the refurb is coming but there's things that could be done in the meantime (replacing water coolers, better cleaning rota's)

Advice to Management

Your Teams and TL's have some great idea's to make how we work easier, customer centric and more effective. The feedback channel can be a little outdated and confusing to use, simplify this and make sure you get back to the agents and TL's when they've given feedback.

"Excellent people"

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always changing for the better
    Loads of exciting, customer focussed projects and changes
    Every conversation is about the customer experience
    Good people with lots of experience and knowledge

Cons

The facilities aren’t the best - toilets, break out areas

Advice to Management

Get better cleaner - the desks are dusty and the carpets are smelly

"The changes with the company"

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-There is a better understanding of the company values and goals
    -More opportunities for agents to progress.
    -Great social environment.
    -Great incentives for everyone to get involved in.
    -Very flexible with shifts.
    -Good support from staff.
    -Lovely friendly people

Cons

-A role as an agent in the call centre can become very repetitive.
    -There can be a lot of mood hoovers
    -Not the best hygiene on desks.
    -Would be useful to have better engagements between departments.

Advice to Management

The changes that DG are making do seem to be making a difference in the companies culture.

I used to work with the company before these changes were made and i left as it was a very sales focussed. You would be put onto disciplinary for almost everything that i felt was unnecessary. I felt that no matter how consistent I was with my performance and how hard I worked, nothing was good enough and I was not appreciated. The environment was very sales focused and not customer service focused.

I came back to the company last year when the changed were put in place. Although I knew i would be earning far less than what I was before i was confident that the direction Domestic and General are going it would be a good decision. Now being back for almost 8 month i feel I am almost working for a different company. The focus of the company has changed for the better, the agents are getting appreciated more and there is opportunity for progression which i have taken full advantage of. D&G have lauched an aspiring leaders course which is a great programme in place for agents like myself to develop but also gain a 3aaa qualification from.

I feel the company is heading into the right direction. Of course there is still a lot more work to be done however, within a year the changes that have been made have made a huge difference within the culture of the business already.

"The Heart of the Business is the Customer - An Innovative & Exciting Place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the business 8 months ago, during a time of tremendous cultural change. Having read some reviews on Glassdoor before joining I was unsure at first what sort of company I would be working for, but becoming fully embedded in my role in the first few months, I can honestly say my fears were completely unfounded.
    I work for a company that not only puts the customer at the heart of everything we do to provide a first-class service, D&G also take care of their staff ensuring we have a lovely environment to work in, but also the opportunities to advance and play a role in the direction the business is taking.

If you are prepared to put the time and effort into your role you will be rewarded tenfold, not only with a great salary and benefits, but with a sense of satisfaction that you are contributing to the wider business of serving the customer in the best way possible.

Pros:
    Dedicated hard working colleagues
    Ways for all levels to get involved with decision making
    Lots of initiatives that staff can join
    A fantastic renovated site in Nottingham that is a pleasure to work in

Cons

I have none to add

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Changed for the better"

Current Employee - Manager in Wimbledon, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at Domestic & General Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A number of changes throughout the business that really do seem to be making a difference to the customer.

It's great to be part of a business that really embodies their values

Cons

Some departments need to think more with the contact centre agent in mind.

Advice to Management

Still a lot of work to do but glad to see we are on the right track. Keep it up!