Dovetail Games Reviews

Updated 5 Feb 2021

3.4
Dovetail Games CEO Paul Jackson (no image)
Paul Jackson
Pros
Cons
  • "However, since working at Dovetail, I have seen new starters join promptly(in 7 reviews)

• "No focus from senior management (they really don't know what they are doing most of the time)(in 6 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "A truly passionate and ethical company with a keen focus on employee welfare"

Current Employee - Video Editor in Bristol, England

I have been working at Dovetail Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

-A friendly and positive work environment -Great Salary and Perks! -Great co-workers and managers who know what they're doing and always check in! -A company that actually cares for their employees!

Cons

I really can't think of anything, my experience with this company has been brilliant.

2. COVID-19

"Care about their employees!"

Current Employee - Business Administrative Apprentice in Sittingbourne, England

I have been working at Dovetail Games full-time

Pros

Joining during COVID-19 has meant I am working remotely. They constantly check on employees wellbeing and have ensured great communication methods are in place so progress can easily be made. Everyone is welcoming and nothing is too much. I am thoroughly enjoying working for such a modern company.

Cons

I had to wait a while before being able to start but this was just an individual circumstance as my job role was new and things needed to be put in place. However, since working at Dovetail, I have seen new starters join promptly. The onboarding process is also very easy and enjoyable.

3. COVID-19

"The First Place I've Worked Where the Company Genuinely Care About Their Employees"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Chatham, England

I have been working at Dovetail Games part-time

Pros

After a career in Facilities/ Legal industry I've moved to a company where I've never felt so valued! The company genuinely care about their staff and their well being. Zoom calls on Christmas Day for people to drop by if they are lonely, continuous check ins through the whole Covid pandemic, an amazing benefits scheme, Mental Health First Aiders, flexible, great work/ home life balance. They really go above and beyond as an employer!

Cons

Over a year in and yet to find fault!

4. "Nice people"

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at Dovetail Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They do care about the employees

Cons

But you have to be in the 'management group' who tend to promote within, regardless of experience

5. "Lovely culture but career felt like it stagnated"

Former Employee - QA Coordinator in Chatham, England

I worked at Dovetail Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friendly staff - Inclusive and welcoming work environment - Lovely studio and location

Cons

- Did not pay a living wage comparable to the area where a 1 bed flat would cost 500+ per month on rent - Constant conveyor belt of development of mainline and dlc content

6. "Not For Me"

2.0
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Chatham, England

I worked at Dovetail Games full-time

Pros

Nice Office To Work In

Cons

Poor Management. Clueless and Ignorant

7. "Great people, great place to learn"

I have been working at Dovetail Games full-time

Pros

- Positive people to work with - Great office - Good support during working from home period

Cons

- Very specialist area of gaming

8. "A considered review"

Former Employee - Assistant Technical Designer in Chatham, England

I worked at Dovetail Games full-time for less than a year

Pros

A very relaxed environment Management are very approachable Free food

Cons

Low Pay in relation to industry average Location- It's not close enough to London to be considered in London, but not far enough way to have a manageable cost of living.

Continue reading

"Depends on what you're after"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chatham, England

I worked at Dovetail Games full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very friendly and positive colleagues across the whole company, feeling like a part of an extended family. It's a very 'local' company with many coming from the area and knowing each other for a long time. The company is giving a lot back to the local area. - Some excellent, friendly and patient managers, ready to teach you anything, and generally positive attitude in the office. Mistakes can be easily forgiven and there is a general 'let's move on' attitude. - Some exceptional individuals on all levels who may seem hard at first but are very genuine once you get to know their quirks. - Lots of seasoned gaming professionals meaning very quick learning for those new to the industry. - Not much pressure for some, enormous pressure for others. Flexitime is generally okay. - Decent size office with good facilities and views, the location in Chatham is utterly terrible but it has some weird nostalgic vibe to it making you want to come back despite its shortcomings. The surrounding area of Kent is ridiculously beautiful. - Two unique franchises to work on, amazing for any rail/fishing fans. - Some social events and parties, although not more than in any other gaming company. - Nice little bonuses like birthday gift cards and occasionally merch. - CEO is indeed an excitable man however he is not very visible, much more visible are other boards members who don't seem trustworthy, can't really put my finger on it but they certainly care about their business way more than they care about the employees.

Cons

- No crunch is a joke, many have to work extra hours, extra hard, with no compensation. I have seen people breaking down during smoking breaks due to lack of compassion from senior management who are overloading junior staff with ridiculous, ever increasing amounts of work. There is no one to complain to (see below). - HR out of touch, they send employee surveys on a weekly basis but never act upon the results, at least not in any meaningful way. HR feels like a wall protecting the business from employees, not the other way around. They only seem friendly, but all their actions are to appease the management. - Pay is not 'competitive', it's below average for the industry with very rare and marginal pay increases, likely to be offered when you've already made a decision to leave. - No benefits: free parking/pantry/non-existent eye care vouchers/pension scheme are not benefits, these are essentials for a 100+ company. There are no benefits, only your wage. - Closed door policy means all decisions are made in a dungeon with no access for regular employees. You will have no steer, and you won't be heard, you can bang on the door with your head as long as you want but they will make all decisions themselves and will never share with you. - Company meetings are great and all but they hand pick comfortable questions and ignore/deflect bad questions, there's some real psychological manipulation / gaslighting going on. - General preference for revenue over quality, although they don't really have much choice.

Continue reading

"Decent enough company but glaring issues come to light over time"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Chatham, England

I worked at Dovetail Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Friendly and laidback atmosphere -Given a high level of responsibility quickly -Helps you gain experience quickly

Cons

-Disorganisation throughout the company makes working there for long times very frustrating -Lack of communication across departments and mostly from management downwards. You feel very much like you're not included in any decisions but you bare the brunt of them anyway. -No air con on the publishing side, and not a good enough response to us having to sit in 35 degree heat whilst our computers melted last year - I got the impression the more I complained (because I was genuinely scared for the next summer) the more annoyed they got, but the only solution they could give me was for us to daily move our PCs to the other side of the office, I was very unimpressed considering none of the management was in the non-air conned side of the building, HR and finances put themselves in the good side, even though publishing and dev needed to communicate far more. I wonder why they did that? They're self-serving and they do not really care about employees beyond the show of pretending to care, and what a show they put on! -Underpayment. I got paid less than other people in my team when I had far more responsibility. I would cover for our manager when she was on holiday and I got paid 1k less than others who had no responsibilities beyond their roles (which were midweight, just like mine), and this was after I'd been given a 2k promotion! They just take advantage of people, they don't pay you your worth at all, and considering I asked for more money, and never received it, and then my replacement when I left was a Senior Graphic Designer who makes worse content than I did, but is being paid more, it's a slap in the face honestly. Pay your employees their worth or risk them all leaving, as they discovered when 3 team members left within months of each other. -The games. Oh the games. They are rushed, not thought through and quite frankly have become an embarrassment for the company, at least on the fishing side. This is their 3rd failed attempt at essentially the same game that has failed 2 times already. They don't have time to make more content so they reuse everything and expect people to pay for it like it's new content. It's a farce, and I didn't want to be associated with a company that I am so ashamed of it's business practices. I agreed with every negative comment we got on steam. Management forces things through, rushes everyone, forces them to make half arsed and reused content, and expects the players to be none the wiser. Get a better business model if you ever want a good relationship with your fans. -The bottom line is this is the company to go to in order to get games industry experience, most people leave within 2 years of being here, once they have the experience they need and can move on to greener pastures. It's great if that's what you go in expecting, but if you want somewhere where you're going to grow and develop beyond your role within the company, this isn't it, they're stingy with promotions and whilst you'll gain a lot of experience being there, your salary wont reflect your higher standard of work, so you'll need to move on in order to get that. But I wouldn't have the job I have today without them, despite all the issues I faced in my time there, I would recommend it as a good place to start to gain experience for a better job in the future within the games industry.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 55 English Reviews