Duke Clinical Research Institute Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
Duke Clinical Research Institute Director Eric D. Peterson
Eric D. Peterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Also, for the most part it has a much better Work Life balance than many for-profits (in 22 reviews)

• great benefits, great working environment (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to pay for parking out of your paycheck, things can take a long time to happen because of many levels of management (in 5 reviews)

• They try to say that there is great work life balance, but that is not the case (in 5 reviews)

1. "Mission Driven Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission: To develop and share knowledge that improves the care of patients around the world through innovative clinical research.​​​

Cons

Some old school thinking - compensation is tied to years in job, not competency, talent and value

Advice to Management

Embrace young team members - they bring great innovation, skills and vitality and ensure the longevity and success of the organization

2. "Happy camper"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Mission focus, working on cutting-edge research, high national profile of respectability in the industry, working closely with PIs every day, best work/life balance of my career

Cons

Facilities are a bit run down and pay isn't top of the market

Advice to Management

Hire more woman and non-whites at the C-suite level

2 Nov 2017

Thank you for your comment, "Happy Camper,!" The DCRI prides itself on building strong teams with employees who believe in our mission to improve the lives of patients around the world by... More

3. "clinical trials project leader"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

PIs are easy to work with. Good work life balance.

Cons

lack of diversity in management

2 Nov 2017

Thank you for taking the time to add a comment about DCRI. We are pleased to read that you believe you have a good work life balance and we know how important that is within our culture... More

5. "Professional Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC (US)

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The DCRI has a well-deserved excellent reputation. Everyone I worked with was incredibly capable . Accomplishment and achievement are celebrated by all levels of management.

Cons

Sometimes it can take a long time to get deserving projects approved and budgeted.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"The execs don't care about the employees"

I worked at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Nice perks overall w/being part of Duke. Great benefits, especially the PTO and reasonable health insurance plans. Good learning environment and opportunity to continue education.

Cons

Very toxic place to work at all levels and all departments. The execs put on a fake show but do not truly care about the happiness or success of individuals. They only care about their own advancement and money in their pocket. DCRI pretends to be this great research academic org but behind the scenes it is a very unorganized place. If you are not part of the click or in crowd you can forget ever moving up on the career ladder regardless of hard or well you work. HR doesn't listen either and are of no help when an employee has an issue with a bad manager-which tends to happen alot.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people in the trenches and stop promoting horrible employees that are not qualified to manage people!!

7. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

Best reasons for working at DCRI
    Work life balance and opportunity to work remotely.
    Collaborative and friendly environment.
    DCRI encourages and provides opportunities for supporting the Durham community.

Cons

You must ride the bus or pay for parking.

22 Sep 2017

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. We always strive to find ways to create a healthy working environment that supports our employees including fostering a culture of work-life balance... More

"The New DCRI"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at the DCRI for over 15 years. The interaction with Faculty and key Thought Leaders in the medical community is a very unique and rewarding experience. There are also opportunities to work on innovative and groundbreaking projects that will ultimately be published regardless of the outcome. The new initiatives DCRI are looking to improve some of the issues that we have been experiencing and will elevate the quality and level of service we are able to provide moving forward. The new direction DCRI is taking with the support of management and the initiatives and changes being implemented to make improve DCRI processes and systems is much needed and will no doubt make DCRI better than ever. The retirement plan, time away from work, tuition benefits and work life balance are the main reasons I have stayed instead of leaving for a higher salary elsewhere.

Cons

There has been a lot of growth and change over the past few years and not all of the systems and processes have been able to keep up. The new DCRI initiatives should improve these issues.

Advice to Management

Continue to support your employees and reward them for their hard work and dedication to DCRI. Support the initiatives and work needed to constantly make the DCRI a great place to work.

"Great Mission but poor middle management"

Current Employee - CRA
    Current Employee - CRA

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission, compensation good, good people, fantastic benefits

Cons

staff are not held accountable for getting the work done; nepotism and favoritism

Advice to Management

DCRI is a great place with some great people but the lack of accountability is frustrating.

18 Aug 2017 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. It is wonderful to hear that you feel that DCRI is a great place to work, specifically noting the great mission, good people, good compensation, and... More

10. "It's all about the mission!"

I have been working at Duke Clinical Research Institute full-time

Pros

I work with super intelligent, dedicated individuals who are all about the mission of the DCRI. I have been here for several years and see the work that is being done to make this an even better place to work. I get involved and being a part of the Employee Brigade has been great. We not only help patients, but the community around us. I am able to take advantage of the child tuition program and am saving thousands of dollars!

Cons

We have to wait a year for our new building. NP is old and ready for an update. While I would like to make more money, there is no way I would go back to a corporate life.

Advice to Management

Keep focused and communicating.

6 Sep 2017

We are delighted to hear about your positive experience at the DCRI. As you noted, in addition to developing and sharing our knowledge through our innovative research, our faculty who are practicing... More

11. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

Pros

I have been employed at DCRI for over 10 years. During that time I have been provided the opportunity to grow in my career and advance in the organization. I have worked on many industry-funded and government-funded projects in a variety of therapeutic areas and a variety of phases. There is always something new, innovative and exciting going on. What keeps me at DCRI is largely the people -- the people that I work with are very collegial, collaborative and committed to producing quality work. I feel appreciated for the work that I do and contributions that I make. I try to share those same feelings and appreciation with the employees under me. Although the salaries may not be equivalent to to those in industry and there are no yearly bonuses, the work-life balance and 403b plan (with Duke's contributions) more than make up for this in my opinion.

Cons

Paying for parking.
    Systems that don't talk to each other (but things are underway to resolve this)

Advice to Management

Continue to promote collaboration and involve employees in ongoing initiatives.