Duke University Health System Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Duke University Health System President and CEO Victor J. Dzau
Victor J. Dzau

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC (US)

I worked at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Great Benefits
    2. Great Mission

Cons

1. Compensation lower than national average
    2. Advancement opportunities limited for younger employees

Advice to Management

Provide more career opportunities to those who are young and new to the workforce.

2. "EKG computer tech"

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the Duke experience

Cons

Duke need free parking for employees

3. "Duke University Hospital"

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time

Pros

12 hour shifts 3 days a week. Have the best coworkers and manager I could ever work with. Benefits are pretty decent and they offer assistance with school.

Cons

Pay could be better.

5. "Good Company"

Pros

DUHS has great retirement benefits

Cons

paying for parking is absolutely horrible.

6. "Great learning experiences, beautiful campus"

Pros

The opportunity to see diagnosis/cases that you may not see elsewhere because it’s duke and that’s where patients go when other doctors don’t know what to do

Cons

The hourly base pay rate isn’t as good as other hospitals in the area, but the various differ do make a positive difference.

7. "Duke Medicine"

Current Employee - FMA III in Durham, NC (US)
    Current Employee - FMA III in Durham, NC (US)

Pros

Great People
    Challenging Work
    Great Company & Leadership
    Great Benefits & retirement
    PTO

Cons

Some Management, The IT Department

8. "Clinical Trials Project Lead"

I have been working at Duke University Health System part-time

Pros

Great benefits for all employees.

Cons

Parking is a challenge OR very expensive.

9. "Okay"

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, nice employees in my building, overtime opportunities

Cons

Poor pay, very outdated and hard to navigate website that I was expected to know how to use within the first week, rude HR and IT people, and have to PAY for parking? It's like I'm having to pay for the ability to work here.

Advice to Management

Employees should not have to pay to park.

10. "Lactation Consultant"

Current Employee - RN/IBCLC in Durham, NC (US)
    Current Employee - RN/IBCLC in Durham, NC (US)

Pros

Enjoy the patient population and staff and the area of Durham, NC. Patients get good care and I have faith in the medical system

Cons

Lower pay than should be for metropolitan area. Surprisingly, the health system does not value lactation in general. ...but there is going to be a change since they are moving to Baby Friendly!! Normally LC's are with the same model as Clinical Specialists and are salaried with their own department and all that goes with a 'lactation department'. At the big Duke Hospital and the pediatric offices this is the case but not at the Duke Regional Hospital. At DRH they are managed by and paid as nurses and get low pay. Nurse Specialists are supposed to get more and they do in other areas at Duke such as nurse educators, ostomy-wound therapists and infection control nurses. May change over years especially since this is inconsistent within the same health system?.

Advice to Management

Lactation Consultants are Clinical Specialists and are normally treated as specialist in their field and are salaried. The average salary is $72-$75 in the USA and in a city over $90k. Duke Healthy Systems is all over the map with how they treat Lactation Consultants. At big Duke they have their own department and wear professional dress with lab coats, they have a large office and each with their own desk and computer, and are salaried with good pay and benefits. At DRH, they are hired as nurses and don't even have an office let alone a department and are paid wage by the hour and only a wage compared to other RN's? They are then again treated better and considered Clinical Specialists in the pediatric offices and again are salaried and have their own scheduling, a large office in addition to their own exam/consult room and wear professional dress rather than scrubs. This has been brought up to management at DRH and then the LC's get intimidated by losing their office and then also one was told she was replaceable while another was reprimanded. Seems like it is a bit unfair. I would like to stay but hope these things improve. LC's are usually women, where wound therapists, infection control, and nurse educators are often men. .... Not an unusual situation in the world, men being paid better than women, yet usually Duke does better at least in their propaganda about diversity and fairness. Please put your money where your mouth is with Lactation Consultants.

11. "Rewarding career"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Duke University Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are hard-working, caring people who form a great team. Sr. Manager is supportive and trusts us to do a great job. Never micromanages, treats us like adults. COO knows everyone by their first name and appreciates our work efforts. Work from home is allowed and encouraged, schedules are fairly flexible. Salaries are fair for the most part. Excellent health care and retirement benefits, not to mention access to best doctors in the world. Free parking. Diverse culture with opportunities for all who work hard.

Cons

Building (not Duke-owned) is not in best shape. Mold present in ceiling tiles. But hey, FREE PARKING.

Advice to Management

Update customer surveys with more appropriate, valuable questions.