Dyson Customer Experience Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dyson CEO Jim Rowan
Jim Rowan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Management need to listen to their teams and do something about it (in 19 reviews)

• Middle management not the most competent- many "years of service" style promotions (in 14 reviews)

"Great pay, great benefits, that's it!"

I worked at Dyson full-time

Pros

The pay is decent for a call center, you also get holidays and Sundays off, which was a plus of working there. Full-time employees also got benefits. The other representatives were a lot of fun to talk to, and I made many friends there.

Cons

The customers are entitled, and make insane demands. They do things to their vacuums (such as picking up sheetrock and/or dead animals) and then demand that you give them a new vacuum. Management can be helpful sometimes in these cases, but they're never clear on what the cutoff time is, etc. (which is part of the reason I got fired--I wasn't sure of what the cutoff time was, and I advised the customer the wrong way, which led to an argument.) Also, if you value your dignity, STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE! Management will let customers take a crap all over you, and will even allow customers to threaten lawsuits (in some cases, sexually offensive language and racially abusive language was allowed and calls were never disconnected.) The last customer I had threatened to sue Dyson because he was being an entitled crybaby, and not only did management give him a new vacuum with a 5 year warranty, they fired me, too, using me as a human shield. Anything to save their own hide. Good thing we don't have upper management running a counterterrorism force--they'd let the terrorists run rampant all over the free world, and would cave in to all their demands. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot!

Advice to Management

I understand meetings are important, but you had too many of them. Also, consider the mental health of your workers, they are people, not punching bags! Stop allowing customers to treat us like dirt! That's why I snapped on the customer like I did (I admit I was a bit obnoxious to him, and with good reason: he may as well have been given a free diaper and pacifier, because he was such a big baby!)--I don't take kindly to being a punching bag, and it's even worse when people you trusted hold you and your job in front of an angry customer, like a human shield. I'm sure by now, any management who is reading this review can figure out who this is. I enjoyed working with my fellow call representatives, but this job was seriously not healthy. The fact that the upper echelon cares little about the well being of its representatives, and more about profit and customers should tell you why the pay and benefits are so great, and why the turnover rate is so high. Put your reps BEFORE your clients--that's what's best for business! Happy reps will work that much harder for you. Maybe I'd have more respect for management right now if they let us stand up for ourselves against angry callers, rather than having us bend over for them. Instead of spending all of your time, huddled in the back room, while us grunts have to deal with these morons, maybe be more active on the floor? Thanks!

"Dyson employee during office transition burbs"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Originally it was the office was in the loop, easy commute. Training was thorough and good information on the product. Most of the people I worked with were great, originally. I was in customer service dept and that was the first time i had worked in a call center.

Cons

Moved the call center to the suburbs. Longer commute, many times I was late using Metra. The quality of the employees deteriorated. They were so focused on metrics, they failed to see other strengths of employees.

Dyson Response

5 Sep 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Thank you for getting in touch about your experience of working at Dyson. We appreciate it can take a while to adjust to a change in office space so thank you for giving us your feedback. We'll make... More

"Ethical Compamy"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in New Haven, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in New Haven, CT (US)

I have been working at Dyson (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, and unlimited overtime.

Cons

Not many options for advancement.

"Great coworkers, horrible management."

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Aurora, IL (US)

Pros

It was a job, I got a pay check, I met some really cool people, got a free vacuum

Cons

Very subtle racism coming from higher management which was shown in their move from downtown Chicago to the Western Suburbs, Favoritism, lack of clarity or real direction, there is no consistency, the culture changed to a sales mentality. Management is inept and a lot of the supervisors are less qualified than the agents on the floor. Low pay for industry standards, HR doesn't respond to inquiries

Advice to Management

Try and promote people who actually care. Honesty is good too.

6. "It's work..."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Aurora, IL (US)

I have been working at Dyson part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They work with you and will work with you until the end for the most part. This is a company that is growing and learning.

Cons

They are extremely unorganized but I guess you can credit that to the company being still a little new to the U.S.

Advice to Management

You have to be patient because just like the company is new and learning to make a successful company so is upper management

7. "A nice idea...terrible follow through"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Aurora, IL (US)

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is not terribly hard training is short and if you live within a reasonable distance the money just might be worth it. The staff is nice and there is a sense of family among the reps.

Cons

The call center used to be based on the North side of Chicago, they have since relocated to Aurora and offered no pay increase for addition 40 miles we must travel. In fact when turned from temporary to permanent the base pay was reduced. The policies are constantly changing with very little or no notice at all. The customer satisfaction surveys are really the linchpin do well you get a bonus but if you do badly you get fired...sounds fair except no where does it mention the survey is about the agent.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, upgrade slow and outdated systems. Listen to feedback form the floor and stop bringing in supervisors and other employees from outside the company who know nothing about our business. Promote from within. Try to see things from the reps perspective and offer some sort of cost of living raise because little do you know more thank half of the reps on the floor are looking elsewhere for employment

"Great innovation but poor workplace"

Former Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for a resume to work for an innovative company.

Cons

Most profit is returned to R&D rather than improving workplace processes and technology which makes everyone's job very difficult. Little room for promotions since they like to hire from outside the company and no training.

Advice to Management

Get a new HR team

"It was two years of unfulfilled promises and an inconsistent message from the top management team down."

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good, medical, dental, 401k match among others. I was able to get 3 days off per week so the summer was great.

Cons

No consistent message, the HR department is a joke and they treat their employees as a number and there is no oversight in any of our daily processes.

Advice to Management

Learn how to communicate effectively as well as include everyone in the process.