Dyson Customer Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1.1
Dyson CEO Max Conze
Max Conze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Can have more family time, this is work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Customer focused, great products & a positive plan (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management need to listen to their teams and do something about it (in 18 reviews)

• Middle management not the most competent- many "years of service" style promotions (in 13 reviews)

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Taren Point (Australia)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Taren Point (Australia)

I worked at Dyson part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good discounts on latest products

Cons

If you enjoy being bullied, berated and having your self esteem crushed then this is the place for you. The arrogance of management is unfounded. A normal working day is witnessing one of your work mates in tears of being berated. It does not matter how driven or focused you are they will only find fault. The turnover of staff is laughable. There is nothing positive to say about this company. Stay away.

Advice to Management

What do they say "what goes around comes around"

6 Sep 2017 – HR Executive

Hi, thank you for getting in touch.

We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience working at Dyson but we do appreciate your feedback. We will ensure your comments reach the right... More

"Dysons Taren Point call centre in Australia"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff discounts are available.

Cons

During recruitment, Dyson was promoted to me as a multi-national, multi-billion dollar company seeking to transition into a global tech company.

When you think of large multi billion dollar organisations in Australia, you think of companies like Apple, Facebook, Telstra, Commonwealth Bank. All these companies are on the cutting edge of various technologies.

Dyson is not like any of these companies, firstly the facilities are poor and dated, something that you would expect out of the 90's. The contact center is a small office attached onto a warehouse where repairs are carried out. They are not a tech company, until very recently, they used a rostering system designed in an excel spreadsheet.

During the first week, we were told that Dyson only hires the best and expects outstanding performance from all its employees, and here going above and beyond is the standard. Unfortunately, the pay is not in line with these expectations and they will pay you as close to the award wage as possible.

Dyson claims to make superior products to their competitors, and they expect a premium price for the products. This philosophy definitely does not carry over to paying staff a decent wage. They offer pay far behind their multi-billion dollar competitors in Australia.

If you have worked in a call centre before, you may be used to having weekly or monthly team meetings to learn about what is happening in the business, and get to know your team-mates and spend time with your team leader.

This does not happen at Dyson, there are no meetings. Updates are communicated via email, you are expected to stay up to date on all emails, even though you are never provided any time to read your emails. There is a maximum 5 second gap between calls, and there will be at least 20 people waiting on hold all day, so there will never be a break.

If you do not stay up to date on your emails you will be berated and criticised for it. Other people do it, so why can't you?

The only way to read your emails and stay up to date is to cut corners and do things like place customers on hold, and then read your email. Management seem oblivious to admitting this, and so the cycle continues.

You don't receive much opportunity to review and improve your work as a customer service representative, your Manager will send you call feedback via an excel spreadsheet with some ratings for your call, and an attached copy of the recording they rated. You are not provided any time to listen to the call, and the expectation is that you will do this in your breaks or forward it to your home to review later.

The contact centre is desperately understaffed, yet also over budget and cannot increase the maximum headcount, this is despite the above 20% profit Dyson made last year which resulted in a wind fall of hundreds of millions of dollars, which the CEO wrote to the entire company to boast about.

Morale is getting worse for staff, as management is clamping down on spending money to appease angry customers with broken parts, as every maximum dollar must be extracted from Dyson customers and retained, yet they can't find money to answer phone calls in a timely manner.

Things got so dire before I left that in the last "quarterly meeting", a survey was sent around requesting for volunteers to hold the meeting during their lunch breaks, instead of the company needing to provide time to update its employees about the business. Staff who refused were berated by management and told how disappointing it was.

Dyson has decided to begin to focus on internal sales, and are implementing sales KPIs into the call centre, as of the time of this review, you must sell 2 finished good products per day. Dyson does not pay any dollar based incentive scheme for these sales. I personally, have not heard of a company that did not offer an incentive scheme to people with sales-based KPIs.

Dyson, in Australia at least, appears to be a company focussed on extracting as many dollars as possible from customers, whilst spending the bare, absolute minimum. As a call centre, it is a horrible, depressing work environment and I would advise anyone to avoid it, unless absolutely desperate. I cannot think of a single positive about the organisation, except that it offers good staff discounts and has a cult-like customer base.

Advice to Management

- Need to connect better with the roots of the organization

6 Sep 2017 – HR Executive

Hi, thank you for getting in touch.

3. "Very different"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, IL (US)

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fkexible always changing. Any job is what you make it. It is much better than when I started four yrs ago. Still growing and learning.

Cons

The location nothing is consistent. The pay could better and they need to promote the human resources that they have within the company

Advice to Management

View every angle be consistent. Our systems are dated updates are coming and we look forward to them.

5. "I applied twice before I was accepted for an interview."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, great work environment, great products, great discounts, great everything! The expectations in the call center are very reasonable. They have a great sick day policy and vacation policy. When I was there Dyson did there best to give their employees the best work place.

Cons

No cons, just standard policies. Be on time, come everyday you are scheduled and you are good to go! The attendance policy is strict if you cross the line to many times with being late your FIRED. I think that is quite reasonable considering the longevity this company offers its employees.

Advice to Management

I appreciate how management was ran at this company!

9 Jul 2014 – HR Business Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your experience at Dyson. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in the call center and felt that our benefits and policies fit the... More

"Eh"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Made life long friends and learned a lot about vaccums. Location was great (worked at the 600 W. Chicago building). Christmas parties and summer parties were awesome. Good times

Cons

Horrible supervisors in the call center, Horrible management in the HR department. Instead of promoting good people from within they hired from outside. They hired people who had never taken a phone call and expected them to help us take calls more efficiently. When I worked there they fired all of the supervisors and brough in a completely new team, I think 2 of those supervisors are still there smh.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people in the call center, they are the ones who talk to your customers daily. Give them some credit.