Dyson Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Dyson CEO Max Conze
Max Conze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Can have more family time, this is work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Customer focused, great products & a positive plan (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management need to listen to their teams and do something about it (in 18 reviews)

• Middle management not the most competent- many "years of service" style promotions (in 13 reviews)

1. "Marmite workplace, but highly rewarding"

Current Employee - Engineering Lead in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Engineering Lead in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic, exciting, challenging, R&D Focus

Cons

Conflicting direction and average pay

Advice to Management

Empower your reports and trust them to define and own their direction choices....coach, guide and support. Avoid top down direction and weed out micro-management. Assess your middle managers in RDD for their ability to be good managers, not just technical authorities (they both matter!)

2. "Hard work, but worth it!"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great community atmosphere in the office and the resources to design and build on ideas is incredible. Very few negative people, it's a very positive atmosphere. No engineering dinosaurs!

Cons

The bar is high and the work is hard, deadlines are very fast. Can also be frustrating at times with projects that don't come through, but you're always learning!

Advice to Management

Engage more and better define career opportunities to help retain young workforce.

3. "Senior Research Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place to work, Nice environment

Cons

Low Salary range and bad Location only

"Full of bullies and blaggers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On site gym, flexible working hours, on job training

Cons

Many of the management team have been at the company 20 years +, they have filled these managements positions due to the time working there and not that they're competent with people (many are technically skilled but have moved onto management positions). The human resources team were no better, I was made to feel like a gear in a cog, that was easily replaceable. I tried for over 2 years to get my salary recognised to the industry average, and I was given all manner of excuses (including my competency) This all led to me leaving the company with mental health issues, as I began questioning my self daily as I had no recognition.

Advice to Management

Start evaluating your staff and your selves. What competencys do you have? What of your staff are good at talking to people? Ultimately this is all easy stuff to do, and theres lots of literature out there on how to manage and recognises staff. So why is it not being done?

6. "Great work environment"

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work, dynamic and young environment. Recently started agile working.

Cons

High pressure, very stressful at times, male dominated environment, undemocratic decision-making, a bit chaotic at times.

Advice to Management

Better organisation, make people feel valued.

"4 years as a design engineer"

Current Employee - Design Engineer Advanced in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Design Engineer Advanced in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed, able to explore within my role and dictate my work load/direction. Working on new and exciting products. Able to present to top level.

Cons

Unstructured, little process, inconsistent, lots of fire fighting, short term fixes over long term solutions, communication difficulties between different R&D areas

Advice to Management

Spend more time thinking, planning, resourcing and setting things up. It’s quicker and better in the long run. Just parching things up and hoping they’ll be ok for now is never a very good solution for long.

"Getting Bigger? Yes, Getting better? TBD"

Current Employee - Test Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Test Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with a truly immense knowledge base, trials of flexible working, good work life balance, market leading products.

Cons

Random job title changes (very often not reflective of actual role) project's need more realistic planning,

"The Google of the UK!"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recently trialing 100% flexi-time and agile-working - it's impossible to be late for work!
    Engineering managers seem to genuinely care about your career progression.
    Great work social life - it's like being at a big university (average age about 27) with generous paid holidays.

Cons

Pay is JUST about competitive, but not overly generous. The work you do is interesting though and there is a yearly bonus. There is a retention issue where as soon as someone gains decent skills they head for greener, and more lucrative, pastures.
    Location in the middle of the rural countryside can make commuting difficult unless you live nearby.
    There is a big difference in the speed of your career progression depending on your department (NPD or NPI if you're an engineer) with those in NPI averaging more promotions per person than those in NPD despite the same amount of time having worked here.

Advice to Management

As an engineer, there is a disparity in the RDD department between NPI and NPD in terms of how quickly one progresses. You are far more likely to be promoted faster in NPI than you are in NPD and everybody knows this (and they wonder why everyone is leaving to go into NPI). You also get a bit more exposure and perks there.

10. "An island of technical excellence"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally very good already, with strong efforts to improve further

Cons

Progression can be difficult in certain areas, management quality is not universally good

Advice to Management

Setting rewards & benefits to only just beat the average does not fit with the company's wider aspirations

Dyson Response

26 May 2017 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hello, thanks for writing a review. We're glad you are enjoying your time at Dyson and recognise the efforts to improve further. We are committed to developing this field of expertise and certainly... More

"Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work / life balance + future prospects look very good with company expanding so fast.

Cons

Pay should be more, can be inefficient / poor management alot of the time due to such high paced expansion.

Advice to Management

Pay employees more to prevent good people leaving to higher paid jobs from your competitors.