Dyson Field Service Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dyson CEO Jim Rowan
Jim Rowan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Management need to listen to their teams and do something about it (in 19 reviews)

• Middle management not the most competent- many "years of service" style promotions (in 14 reviews)

"Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company vehicle, tools, workwear, pension.

Cons

As a Field Engineer, the early days were quite good 2000 - 2013. From 2014, the emphasis was on solving customer's issues with excellent service. From 2014 the role (in my opinion) became more focussed on selling. As a result, the job became more pressured, longer hours, more stress and the threat of disciplinary action if sales targets were not attained.

Advice to Management

This would be a pointless exercise.

"bad place to work"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Manchester, England

Pros

Good salary for engineers with long service, poor for new starters and no way to close the gap
    good staff discount

Cons

Once a great company to work for, would not recommend now. Aggressive bullying management, constant threats of disciplinaries if unrealistic sales targets are not met, some very dubious sales tactics now being used. useless middle management. They have lost some really good staff because of their relentless pursute of sales at all costs.
    good staff bonus but what would you buy with it most of their products are now overpriced over engineered tat.

Advice to Management

Scrap oneview, focus on customer service like we became famous for, Scrap targets and threats to staff, listen to engineers.

Dyson Response

12 Apr 2017 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hello there. Thanks for writing a review. Whilst it's good to read some positive points, we're sorry to hear your feedback on your more recent experiences at Dyson as a Field Service Engineer. It's a... More

"Lost the plot"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Struggling to think of many. Lavish Christmas party. Very nice salad bar in the cafe, relaxed approach to dress if you work at H.O.

Cons

After 15 yrs at Dyson enough was enough. For over 10 yrs an excellent company to work for but then the company focused more and more on pushing sales of products direct to customers via the customer contact centre and in customers homes via the field service engineers (FSE). As an FSE I was encouraged by management to advise customers that products were not worth repairing and was trained in hard sell tactics in customers homes. Selling of new filters was actively encouraged even though the products were sold as "life time filters with no running costs" I approached a senior manager with concerns about how field service was heading but shortly after received a phone call from a manager "advising" me "that I will tow the line or I was out. Contacted HR to complain about bullying but that was ignored and was "encouraged to drop any bullying accusations". That was the point at which I knew a once great company had faded and had sold out to the greenback.

Advice to Management

A review of HR policy. Too many managers. A need to listen to staff more. Scrap unrealistic sales targets. Revert name change back to Field service engineers from Field sales engineers. Offer benefits to staff that don't work in Malmesbury. Scrap excessive back slapping meetings.

Dyson Response

12 Apr 2017 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's a concern for us to read some of the topics mentioned here and are keen to discuss further. I notice you're a former employee, but you are... More

"Went downhill rapidly"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in London, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, many excellent products, initially this was the best job I've ever had, my role as a Field Service Engineer was interesting, varied and rewarding.

Cons

Went downhill rapidly after 2014, contract changes were imposed on many staff changing their hours of work & adding sales targets. Selling new products became the only concern with figures being fudged at every turn to try to meet unrealistic targets.

Advice to Management

Refocus on customer care, this was something we were genuinely great at and this has fallen by the wayside, massive turnover of callcentre staff caused by recent changes means frequent poor customer experiences. My belief is that we should focus on customer care and this will lead to more customers returning rather than simply trying flog them new products at every turn! Also scrap the Oneview IT system, 2 years on and its still not fit for purpose.

6. "Great company ten years ago, has fallen behind in terms of employee relationships and customer satisfaction is beginning"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Liverpool, England
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Liverpool, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great tech products and innovation.

Cons

Overtime is enforced. Any argument is preceded by 'are you working to rule? '

Advice to Management

it will go badly wrong soon.