Dyson Mechanical Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dyson CEO Jim Rowan
Jim Rowan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Management need to listen to their teams and do something about it (in 19 reviews)

• Middle management not the most competent- many "years of service" style promotions (in 14 reviews)

"The Google of the UK!"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recently trialing 100% flexi-time and agile-working - it's impossible to be late for work!
    Engineering managers seem to genuinely care about your career progression.
    Great work social life - it's like being at a big university (average age about 27) with generous paid holidays.

Cons

Pay is JUST about competitive, but not overly generous. The work you do is interesting though and there is a yearly bonus. There is a retention issue where as soon as someone gains decent skills they head for greener, and more lucrative, pastures.
    Location in the middle of the rural countryside can make commuting difficult unless you live nearby.
    There is a big difference in the speed of your career progression depending on your department (NPD or NPI if you're an engineer) with those in NPI averaging more promotions per person than those in NPD despite the same amount of time having worked here.

Advice to Management

As an engineer, there is a disparity in the RDD department between NPI and NPD in terms of how quickly one progresses. You are far more likely to be promoted faster in NPI than you are in NPD and everybody knows this (and they wonder why everyone is leaving to go into NPI). You also get a bit more exposure and perks there.

"Design Engineer"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Half price machines, 27days holiday

Cons

Poor middle management, oppressive working environment,

Dyson Response

1 Jun 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hello
    Thanks so much for taking the time to submit a review. We’re happy to hear about your positive experiences with Dyson so far but are sorry to hear there have been some less positive... More

"People only comment on the worst, I'm sharing the good"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People seem to only leave messages on here to complain, few do so to highlight the good. Though I've not been in many other companies of employment, I honestly believe Dyson is one of the few companies where employees and general community feel is genuinely a highlight to working here. Everyone here is competent but not overly serious. You can have a laugh with line managers and department heads. Everyone trusts everyone to be doing their job properly, and rather than being reprimanded - mistakes are instead seen as areas of improvement and looked at from all angles, not just the individual. Everyone understands they happen.

- Yearly Dyson Challenge that pits teams against one another to develop some innovative mechanism to overcome that year's challenge be it building a cart out of cardboard or hovercraft out of a dyson motor!
    - Average age is 25 - it's like being back at university!
    - Huge community focus with clubs and activities and events all year long organised very professionally. The Annual Christmas fancy dress parties are legendary
    - Competitive pay
    - Independence to get on with your work, or have a huge amount of help as you so choose. Everyone wants everyone to succeed, no one is out to 'get you'. Most criticisms come from people simply ensuring you're working safely.
    - Everyone is friendly and approachable
    - Recently introduced paths to professional accreditation (i.e. chartership)
    - Massive recruitment drive

Cons

- A fair amount of red tape and admin work, though no more so than any other large company I would imagine
    - Pay could be slightly more than 'competitive' to ensure retention.
    - While the 'underdog' attitude serves to embolden us, it can make us complacent not thinking the same large company attitudes should also apply to us.
    - I can only speak from an engineer's perspective. There is a divide, due to secrecy, between us and other areas of the company.
    - Expanding very quickly, a lot of moving around and nothing ever stays set for long. Same goes for standards and ensuring we don't forget what's already been done before.

Advice to Management

Ensure there is adequate retention of field 'experts' in each area. Don't let past knowledge be lost!

"Positive experience working at Dyson. Lots of room for growth in future."

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, opportunities for travel,

Cons

Most people high up started as a graduate, so do not have external experience. V difficult to run a company when you are learning on the fly.

6. "My dream job truly lives up to expectations"

Current Employee - Graduate Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Graduate Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Such a rewarding, relaxed, friendly and hilarious atmosphere and work colleagues. Average engineer age is ~25. HUGE discount on Dyson products, perks and yearly events and parties organised by the company. Competitive salary, pension and you can work as independently as you like.

Cons

Little to no flexi-time (ad-hoc basis). Lack of formal 'hierarchy', often makes it difficult to see where you could progress. Not much travel opportunities.

Advice to Management

Career advancement (Attaining chartership etc) should be a bigger focus. More financial advice and feedback from HR.