Dyson RDD Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dyson CEO Jim Rowan
Jim Rowan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior Management need to listen to their teams and do something about it (in 19 reviews)

• Middle management not the most competent- many "years of service" style promotions (in 14 reviews)

"Toxic management & office politics"

Former Employee - RDD Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - RDD Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My job was fairly easy and paid pretty well

It was easy to coast through life working at Dyson

Hours were great, finished at 16:30 every day (15:30 on Friday) and could leave promptly, rarely had to stay late. Easy to let go of work at the end of the day (rather than stress about it at home)

The people are great. I started as a graduate, and there were lots of others my age. Very easy to make lots of friends.

Cons

If you don't get on with the managers, you're not going anywhere in this company. It doesn't matter if you do a good job, or if you're generally a friendly person - if you don't brown nose, you won't get anywhere.

You will also see plenty of incompetent people be promoted above you because they ARE friends with the managers.

The main R&D office is a horrible tin shed, devoid of any light or happiness. It's noisy and uncomfortable (too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter) and genuinely makes you depressed.

The way Dyson handle their internal workings is a joke. There is always something they're failing at. During my four years at Dyson, there was insufficient parking for 3 years, the cafe was unable to deal with the amount of staff (long queues and no where to sit), their IT systems are frustratingly slow, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. It seemed every week they would mess something up, small or large.

They make out like they're competing with the likes of Google for work culture and environment, but that's an embarrassing comparison.

Working at Dyson has genuinely put me off ever wanting to work in an office again, and I have therefore not continued with engineering. That should be an immediate red flag to you - the fact that this company put me off my career is shocking.

James Dyson is generally not a nice man. His outward appearance is very friendly. Pass him in the corridor and you'll receive a smile, but if you ever have to work with him, you'll quickly learn he is a tyrant with too much money and a false sense of grandeur.

Advice to Management

The company has expanded so much that people are being promoted to line managers before they are ready.

The people in actual positions of power are all senior staff that have been working there for decades, and have their own little club. Their friends get promoted, and if you don't get on with them, then you're screwed.

Dyson Response

8 Dec 2016 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hello, thanks for leaving a review for us. It's great to hear the positive comments about your time at Dyson including the work/life balance and making new friends. We're sorry to hear of the not so... More

"Terrible company worce management evee"

Former Employee - NPD RDD Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - NPD RDD Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting products as lots and lots engineers

Cons

Management of people is awful
    Response from HR is frightening
    People are scared to say anything bad

Advice to Management

Work as a proper company and get rid of your many useless managers who just say yes

"Advancing but slowed down by obsolete traditions"

Current Employee - RDD Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Improving employee welfare. Great marketing. Feel proud to be in the Dyson family. Flexible, less red tapes compared to other companies. Supportive line manager (at least for my case, I do not know about others).

Cons

To be able to manage project successfully, it is critical for design managers to demonstrate their capabilities in several engineering disciplines to be able to make good engineering decisions. However, it is traditional for them to be concern with only with mechanical issues, thus lacking someone who is capable of looking at the product in its entirety.

Advice to Management

Start selectively choosing capable people to lead in projects, instead of basing on relationship. Suitable candidates must also display willingness and talent to pick up new knowledge and skills overtime, especially as new products becoming more complex instead of depending on the knowledge that was 10 years ago.

5. "Dyson"

Current Employee - RDD Engineer in Senai (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - RDD Engineer in Senai (Malaysia)

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefit and great place for graduates to learn

Cons

Everything has to follow instruction from UK headquarter

6. "Great Place to learn!"

Current Employee - RDD Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Dyson full-time

Pros

Great place to learn technical skills! Great culture and managers with technical experience. Many interesting projects to work on and many opportunities to be creative and solve problems.

Cons

Quite corporate. Decisions sometimes not made quick enough, unlike smaller companies where decision is made right away and things move faster.

Advice to Management

Improve the work culture and environment to retain and attract more employees. Improve the system to help employees work more effectively and efficiently.

"Good learning Experience"

Former Intern - Intern RDD Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Intern - Intern RDD Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Dyson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great Colleagues
    -Casual Culture
    -Open door policy
    -no cubicles

Cons

-Very lean company
    -No cubicles
    -Open office concept

Advice to Management

None