Dyson Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dyson Reviews

Updated 18 June 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good working environment and good benefits" (in 23 reviews)

• "Work life balance is great, very results driven" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some senior management are good engineers but poor people managers" (in 22 reviews)

• "A lot of middle management screams of being promoted out of "last man standing"attitude as well as speed of growth" (in 14 reviews)

"Worse company I ever worked for"

I worked at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A part from a reasonable salary, I can't find any other pros. I have worked at Dyson for less than a year. From my first day, I realised that it was a mistake to have left my old job. They will make it sound so great to work there at the interview stage.

Cons

Long commute. Very poor management, no real training given when you start, no communication between departments. They will expect you to do extra hours to meet the dead lines (most of the time with little notice) and travel for the business away from you home and family on a regular basis, but don't you dare take 1 extra minute than you are allowed on your 30 minutes lunch break when you can finally be at the office! Staff benefits are taken away one by one despite the company making great profits. They now hire people with no experience or competences for the same job as yours but they will leave you at the same salary level and responsibilities and expect you to train those people from scratch. And I could go on for ever...

Advice to Management

No point given any advices as they would not listen. As they say, it is the "Dyson way". if you don't like it, find another job like I did as they will not change.

"Very odd place to work. Not what it is cracked up to be."

Former Employee - Test Technician in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No real pros. If you are self reliant you will survive especially if you are a bit older.
    Really for Techies straight out of university. If you wear skinny jeans and vans or a short skirt you are in. The biggest pro for me was retiring. Don't tell them you are you will be written off with incompetents promoted over you. Just leave.

Cons

Too many to mention. Thank God this wasn't my main career and spent most of my working life in "normal industries" I was only there 5 years.
    The longer you are away from the place (6 months now) the weirder it appears.

Advice to Management

First of all what management?
    The main man is a stuck up eccentric that should have retired years ago, but who will take over? they are so incompetent because of his tight grip on the reigns.
    I can't express how bad the management are. Mainly promoted for long "service".
    One bizarre moment was when the CEO "left". It was announced he had left then he had been sacked (rightly so)and then out of court settlement of 5 million quid!!
    Advice to management forget the car it will be the end of Dyson.

3. "Great innovative company rapidly expanding"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing products, on site gym, company discounts, plenty of training, friendly people, relaxed dress code. Frequent feedback and involvement. Good communication from higher management.

Cons

Very targeted and measured closely. Changing goalposts and processes often which can demotivate staff who are always playing catch up.

4. "I had a great time!!!"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was there for over 10 years and it gave me brilliantly experiences that have shaped my career.

Cons

Presenteeism culture, owner managed which can lead to lack of progress on issues that they don’t want to move on.

5. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere, high tech company.

Cons

Too much pressure, not the best management

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more often

"Terrible management & little care for staff satisfaction"

Current Employee - Research in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Research in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good quality food

Young, friendly, sociable atmosphere.

Brilliant people

Challenging

Cons

New CEO promised change & focus on staff satisfaction. Today the greatest perk of the job, the staff discount, was almost halved!

Managers have no interpersonal skills or management experience. Too many are promoted as a result of time served and given no training.

No feedback, or gratitude for hard work

Incredibly difficult self driven progression structure

Growing too fast for current infrastructure, people everywhere, no outdoor work/break areas, not enough office space, massive queues for cafes, poor price structure on food & drinks.

The parking situation is an utter joke. Cars abandoned everywhere, incredibly dangerous parking.

Very little facilities for those wanting to bring lunch, business trying to force them to buy

There are meetings to discuss meetings then meetings to discuss the results of meetings! More work .... less meetings!

Advice to Management

Build more outdoor areas for breaks, picnic benches

Make parking spaces closest to the building ‘liftshare spaces’ promoting lift sharing

Don’t give those with no people skills managerial positions.

"Bad bad company with oppressive management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the actual engineers I work with
    the pay is reasonable

Cons

The company ethos and hidden oppression
    where to start. They advertise how good Dyson are but once your in, you have left your old job and soon realise its a bad move.
    They have cameras every where to monitor there employees, this is clearly said as they expect you to steal there ideas!,
    Your emails are monitored just to see what your sending, no trust from the company there,
    You are not allowed to use the phone or talk to people out of your team, as you might tell them something !
    Each project has a project review and your not allowed to tell them any negative issues, only report good items or totally lie about things going wrong .
    There is no trust from the management they think your there to steal everything.
    They even tell you they plan to take you to court when you leave if you have ever sent anything remotely to do with work to any one out of Dyson, this includes your home Email so you can work on it at home. So if you think you can do some thing easily later at home to catch up some work, they will take you to court when you leave. Check the Bristol Crown court, they are often listed there for this type of thing, its not illegal but you get stuffed with the court costs.
    There is a huge amount of staff turn over as lots of people hate working there, but dont know it till there there.
    Lots of people have depression here, all due to the nature of the company.
    There is a very large sexism culture, most of the women are seen to be there just to up the numbers.
    I could go on and on.

Advice to Management

I have nothing I want to say to them, the sooner im out of here the better.

"Disorganised, chaotic, political, good fun"

I worked at Dyson full-time

Pros

Flexi-working, other employees really personable, relaxed dress code

Cons

Not enough work to do, inefficient, terrible management

Advice to Management

Provide training to all line managers

9. "Could be worse, could be much better"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good staff discount, great people to work with, monthly one to one's with management, bonus scheme, fairly good pay

Cons

Favouritism, no reward for going above and beyond, no room for progression within current team, unfair bonus rules meaning other departments receive a full bonus ours was halved although we are not sales targeted, not enough parking for staff.

Advice to Management

Let people progress, reward those who go above and beyond, consider pay rises based on performance, management need to be fair and stop playing favourites.

"Staff Discount"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Used to have a good staff discount...

Cons

They took it away... Cheers Dyson!