Dyson Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dyson Reviews

Updated 11 February 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is great, very results driven (in 19 reviews)

• Customer focused, great products & a positive plan (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management need to listen to their teams and do something about it (in 19 reviews)

• A lot of middle management screams of being promoted out of "last man standing"attitude as well as speed of growth (in 14 reviews)

"Poor Leadership & signs of a cover up. Senior Management protected at expense of other employees"

I worked at Dyson full-time

Pros

As a brand the company is excellent. Good benefits with friends and family discount

Cons

Investigations into work practices by senior managers completely one sided and they basically dismiss the junior people and leave senior managers in positions despite them giving the advice in the first place.

Advice to Management

Stop colluding with one another and talk with your teams in an open and honest way.

2. "Great place to work"

I worked at Dyson full-time

Pros

Had no complaints in my time there

Cons

Not as flat a structure as I would like

"Good for part-time, though the bridge was slightly frayed after I left."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Advisor

I worked at Dyson part-time

Pros

- You get to be aware of the latest products, and there are even opportunities to earn some machines.
    - The other Retail Advisors are generally really nice, and very supportive, which is helpful if you’re a beginner.
    - 50% off brand discount codes which are given on a rotational basis.
    - Semi-regular conferences and meetings where the field sales team get together for some fairly informal fun.
    - My first RDM was one of the nicest and most helpful guys I met. Really bent over backwards for me when I needed help.
    - Pretty straightforward bonus system.

Cons

Now for the bad bits:
    - There is little to no room for progression, at least if you’re a Retail Sales Advisor. My RDM at the time literally confirmed this. Some of the other Dyson Experts I’ve worked with have been there for 3-4 years. Not ideal if you’re a young person, as staying for too long will waste your time
    - Some aspects of the job are a waste of time. There are three reports that have to be done throughout the day, and I get the impression Dyson just add more pointless boxes into them as filler so that you don’t get bored at work on a quiet day.
    - Depending on where you’re based, the quality of lower management varies. A lot of the time they sneakily delegate jobs they’re supposed to do, such as collating daily feedback and market share, to one unlucky expert in the region. Didn’t have to do this in my first region, but when I changed regions, it was pretty regular.
    - The sales department in general is rife with dogma and cheesy sales hashtags. Brace yourself for a bit of cringe.
    - Seems like the budget for the national sales meetings are being cut, even though the company overall is making more money. Last year the food was cooked and it was a black tie venue. This year was smart casual at best and buffet style food.
    - They will make you feel like you owe them, but don’t actually show that much loyalty to their own employees. It’s for this reason that I wasn’t able to part ways with Dyson amiably.

Advice to Management

Allow a little room for progression for Dyson Experts. Seriously, there’s nothing more demoralising about a role than realising it’s going nowhere. Further, make sure that all of the regions are operating at similar standards. I get that all managers have different styles, but that doesn’t mean Dyson Experts should have to do the jobs their managers are supposed to be doing. If that’s the case, maybe they should be paid more.

"Agree a good salary before starting - it won't be increasing"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NPI is fun, interesting, engaging.

Cons

Compared to NPI, NPD electronics is depressing, poor team dynamics. I have been here 3 years, getting good feedback, been put forward for a promotion twice and each time it gets declined due to "budget". The multi-billion company can't afford to give me a 3.5k rise?!

Advice to Management

This is why employees leave before 2-3 years. If you want to keep them, you might want to try giving promotions instead of taking the mick!

"Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company vehicle, tools, workwear, pension.

Cons

As a Field Engineer, the early days were quite good 2000 - 2013. From 2014, the emphasis was on solving customer's issues with excellent service. From 2014 the role (in my opinion) became more focussed on selling. As a result, the job became more pressured, longer hours, more stress and the threat of disciplinary action if sales targets were not attained.

Advice to Management

This would be a pointless exercise.

7. "Best place I have worked"

I have been working at Dyson full-time

Pros

Great campus, nice people, great opportunities, cool tech, fast decisions and actions

Cons

A lot of middle management screams of being promoted out of "last man standing"attitude as well as speed of growth. Looks like they are all being pushed out slowly though

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the values the company was built on and remember there are other companies out there that have had the same problems. Wrong thinking doesn't mean reinventing the wheel

"You learn more about politics than anything"

Current Employee - Manager in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Manager in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free gym, subsidised canteen, some talented colleagues (if you are lucky), strong engineering team.

Cons

VERY bad at retaining the good talent. Poorly supported commercial function.
    Brown nose culture is becoming worse over the years, if you're in non-engineering function, you learn more about relationship management, but nothing else! Incapable senior managers, little career guidance, reward is senior recognition-based not results-based, if you have worked hard but didn't get noticed, than congratulations, you have wasted all your time.

Advice to Management

Train your senior managers, give your employee professional career guidance, not just go by packing order such as who has been in the company longer.

"Wouldn't recommend, especially IT"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is generally good - many employees start at 8am and finish at 4:30pm.
    Casual dress code makes the working environment more relaxed.
    Inflation based pay rises each year.

Cons

IT has it's 3rd CIO/Global Director in less than 3 years - lots of changes in direction and uncertainty.
    Very hierarchical, with lots of micromanagement.
    A bit of an old boys club, where if your face fits you can advance very quickly, but most are completely unable to advance.
    Very trigger happy with HR processes including firing staff, the turnover is very high. Within 6 months most of the C-Suite were removed.
    Very untrusting company, where everything you do is monitored in detail, everything is secretive.
    Increasingly lots of redundancies. Recently across IT, Procurement, Contact Centres.
    Pay is quite low versus the industry averages. Aside from the good inflation based pay rise, actually pay rises due to great work or promotions are hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Focus on raising morale and productivity by ending uncertainty, provide clear progression paths, and get middle management out of their way!

"Dyson's brand image is the only important thing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the location's lovely: a Michelin starred chef doing the canteen menu

Cons

The entire company operates on James Dyson's view that you should sacrifice yourself for his Company... easy to say when you're a Billionaire, less so when what you do is to make ends meet.

HR's role is to "keep it quiet" for Dyson PR, rather than support the people who work for the company

Most of the senior management have been at Dyson for years and don't know how any other companies operate...

Advice to Management

Make hay while the sun shines, you're deluding yourselves that Dyson is a "tech company"

11. "Marmite workplace, but highly rewarding"

Current Employee - Engineering Lead in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Engineering Lead in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dynamic, exciting, challenging, R&D Focus

Cons

Conflicting direction and average pay

Advice to Management

Empower your reports and trust them to define and own their direction choices....coach, guide and support. Avoid top down direction and weed out micro-management. Assess your middle managers in RDD for their ability to be good managers, not just technical authorities (they both matter!)