Dyson Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dyson Reviews

Updated 20 July 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good working environment and good benefits" (in 23 reviews)

• "Work life balance is great, very results driven" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some senior management are good engineers but poor people managers" (in 22 reviews)

• "A lot of middle management screams of being promoted out of "last man standing"attitude as well as speed of growth" (in 14 reviews)

"Never enough time, too much pressure, too little pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, lovely people, some nice benefits. Forward thinking company.

Cons

Everybody at Dyson is overworked. People are pushed and pushed to breaking, and there are a lot of people either sick, or end up leaving, due to stress.
    During my time there the three comments in the title of this review were heard again, and again, and again. The latter seems to be becoming the biggest problem - Dyson claim to pay market rates, but they simply do not.
    They are a good company to have on your CV, and it seems that the upper management think that's enough. However it's become the norm that the good staff all seem to leave to get the recognition that they deserve elsewhere, and Dyson won't review thier policies to change this. They entice the best people to work for them, but then they do little to retain them as their skill sets grow.

Advice to Management

Employ more staff. You're a cash rich company so this will reduce the pressure and stress that your entire workforce are suffering. Then, as people improve their knowledge - make sure you recognise it and pay them a sensible amount.

"A tough place to work, but the rewards are there if you know where to find them."

I have been working at Dyson full-time

Pros

Its a free thinking, roll your sleeves up and get stuck in sort of place. No day is ever the same, and if you are willing to dig deep and put in the effort, you can shape your own career. No one is going to tell you what to do or what to think. You are expected to do that for yourself. If you expect a company where everything is neat, tidy and handed on a plate then this is not the place for you. Its still in start up mode and probably always will be due to working on the fringes of technology. P&G it is not although some have tried to turn it into that over the last couple of years. Love the place, love the variety, love the passion everyone puts in!

Cons

As previously mentioned its not somewhere you can expect a normal career path or to do a 9-5. Long hours can be tough but its up to you to get the balance right. The business expects passion and enthusiasm so going out of your comfort zone on a daily basis can be very scary and uncomfortable for many. Frustrations can crop up with the enormous amount of opinions offered from the management. The trick is to pick out the ones that count to stop yourself getting to wound up by it. HR are no real support offering token lip service and some very questionable promotions on occasion. The rule is to not be naive and expect them to be on your side. They are on the side of the business so if you think you can make something better or want to go for a different job - just go for it.

Advice to Management

The new CEO is a great move (a real man of the people) but you now need to undo all of the bad habits from the last couple of years. You have a passionate staff who believe in the business. Spend time looking out for those who have been at the business for more than 5 years. They have enormous knowledge/skills and can often be over looked if their face does not fit. Promoting the 'bright young things' who have no actual experience before they are ready should be considered with caution. It will simply drive a wedge between the ranks. Think about the support teams that work with RDD. They are often the last ones in the office each day and enormously under staffed.

3. "Great company - relaxed atmosphere, but thriving with innovation"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic company - world-leading resources and facilities, good salary/bonus packages and flexible working hours.

Cons

Quite a high turnover rate (~ 2-3 years av.) meaning knowledge can sometimes get lost with the departure of engineers. Remote location - about 1 hr drive from Bristol (each way).

"did not meet expectations"

I worked at Dyson full-time

Pros

The company as a whole is amazing at what it does so naturally, I was really excited when I secured my role but upon starting the vibe and values of my department was not as expected nor was it in line with what I had been told about the company.

Cons

I gave it my all but I cold not do my job with the parameters & tools I was given and nor did i have the support of management to take what I had said (which they told me they agreed with) and to challenge at a higher level. As time went on, working this way, it only got worse and I personally did not enjoy any aspect of my time at Dyson.

Advice to Management

Dyson is a truly amazing company and I'm very sorry I couldn't make it work.
    I understand that the success is largely down to the engineering brilliance but it can't operate on this talent alone. my advice would be to review the Dyson values within the supporting functions because I did not see any evidence of these being cascaded through these departments and in some cases we were working against the core Dyson values which feel mainly supportive of engineers.

"Poor Leadership & signs of a cover up. Senior Management protected at expense of other employees"

I worked at Dyson full-time

Pros

As a brand the company is excellent. Good benefits with friends and family discount

Cons

Investigations into work practices by senior managers completely one sided and they basically dismiss the junior people and leave senior managers in positions despite them giving the advice in the first place.

Advice to Management

Stop colluding with one another and talk with your teams in an open and honest way.

"Good for part-time, though the bridge was slightly frayed after I left."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Advisor

I worked at Dyson part-time

Pros

- You get to be aware of the latest products, and there are even opportunities to earn some machines.
    - The other Retail Advisors are generally really nice, and very supportive, which is helpful if you’re a beginner.
    - 50% off brand discount codes which are given on a rotational basis.
    - Semi-regular conferences and meetings where the field sales team get together for some fairly informal fun.
    - My first RDM was one of the nicest and most helpful guys I met. Really bent over backwards for me when I needed help.
    - Pretty straightforward bonus system.

Cons

Now for the bad bits:
    - There is little to no room for progression, at least if you’re a Retail Sales Advisor. My RDM at the time literally confirmed this. Some of the other Dyson Experts I’ve worked with have been there for 3-4 years. Not ideal if you’re a young person, as staying for too long will waste your time
    - Some aspects of the job are a waste of time. There are three reports that have to be done throughout the day, and I get the impression Dyson just add more pointless boxes into them as filler so that you don’t get bored at work on a quiet day.
    - Depending on where you’re based, the quality of lower management varies. A lot of the time they sneakily delegate jobs they’re supposed to do, such as collating daily feedback and market share, to one unlucky expert in the region. Didn’t have to do this in my first region, but when I changed regions, it was pretty regular.
    - The sales department in general is rife with dogma and cheesy sales hashtags. Brace yourself for a bit of cringe.
    - Seems like the budget for the national sales meetings are being cut, even though the company overall is making more money. Last year the food was cooked and it was a black tie venue. This year was smart casual at best and buffet style food.
    - They will make you feel like you owe them, but don’t actually show that much loyalty to their own employees. It’s for this reason that I wasn’t able to part ways with Dyson amiably.

Advice to Management

Allow a little room for progression for Dyson Experts. Seriously, there’s nothing more demoralising about a role than realising it’s going nowhere. Further, make sure that all of the regions are operating at similar standards. I get that all managers have different styles, but that doesn’t mean Dyson Experts should have to do the jobs their managers are supposed to be doing. If that’s the case, maybe they should be paid more.

7. "Great place to work"

I worked at Dyson full-time

Pros

Had no complaints in my time there

Cons

Not as flat a structure as I would like

"Agree a good salary before starting - it won't be increasing"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NPI is fun, interesting, engaging.

Cons

Compared to NPI, NPD electronics is depressing, poor team dynamics. I have been here 3 years, getting good feedback, been put forward for a promotion twice and each time it gets declined due to "budget". The multi-billion company can't afford to give me a 3.5k rise?!

Advice to Management

This is why employees leave before 2-3 years. If you want to keep them, you might want to try giving promotions instead of taking the mick!

"Not a good experience"

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company vehicle, tools, workwear, pension.

Cons

As a Field Engineer, the early days were quite good 2000 - 2013. From 2014, the emphasis was on solving customer's issues with excellent service. From 2014 the role (in my opinion) became more focussed on selling. As a result, the job became more pressured, longer hours, more stress and the threat of disciplinary action if sales targets were not attained.

Advice to Management

This would be a pointless exercise.

10. "Best place I have worked"

I have been working at Dyson full-time

Pros

Great campus, nice people, great opportunities, cool tech, fast decisions and actions

Cons

A lot of middle management screams of being promoted out of "last man standing"attitude as well as speed of growth. Looks like they are all being pushed out slowly though

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the values the company was built on and remember there are other companies out there that have had the same problems. Wrong thinking doesn't mean reinventing the wheel