Dyson Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.8
Dyson CEO Max Conze
Max Conze

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Can have more family time, this is work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Customer focused, great products & a positive plan (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management need to listen to their teams and do something about it (in 18 reviews)

• Middle management not the most competent- many "years of service" style promotions (in 13 reviews)

1. "An island of technical excellence"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generally very good already, with strong efforts to improve further

Cons

Progression can be difficult in certain areas, management quality is not universally good

Advice to Management

Setting rewards & benefits to only just beat the average does not fit with the company's wider aspirations

Dyson Response

26 May 2017 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hello, thanks for writing a review. We're glad you are enjoying your time at Dyson and recognise the efforts to improve further. We are committed to developing this field of expertise and certainly... More

"Full of bullies and blaggers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I worked at Dyson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On site gym, flexible working hours, on job training

Cons

Many of the management team have been at the company 20 years +, they have filled these managements positions due to the time working there and not that they're competent with people (many are technically skilled but have moved onto management positions). The human resources team were no better, I was made to feel like a gear in a cog, that was easily replaceable. I tried for over 2 years to get my salary recognised to the industry average, and I was given all manner of excuses (including my competency) This all led to me leaving the company with mental health issues, as I began questioning my self daily as I had no recognition.

Advice to Management

Start evaluating your staff and your selves. What competencys do you have? What of your staff are good at talking to people? Ultimately this is all easy stuff to do, and theres lots of literature out there on how to manage and recognises staff. So why is it not being done?

"Good place for a nap"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Established company with certain good name in the world, it will look fine in your CV.
    Payments are always on time.
    Very relaxed day-to-day will allow you to spend the vast majority of your time working on personal projects, studying, or simply having coffee in the canteen.

A good place to just arrive late, leave early and take a nap inbetween.

Cons

Below average salaries.
    Promotions purely based on the time you have been in the company.
    Siloed areas constantly conducting political fights between each other.
    Largely useless mid and high-level management full of evangelist and/or car-sellers.
    The minute any C-level puts their sight in your project, managers will try to look efficient by flocking around like crazy and making things even worse.
    Any success of a project is basically based on individuals ignoring managers and acting as "hero saviours", until they decide that it is nor worth it and leave.

Don't get fooled, the "Dyson" culture is "keep your head down and stay away from doing anything". Attend as many meetings as possible and repeat whatever the most powerful guy says (no matter how silly); you'll do great.
    Not a place for anybody with the push or will to actually work.

Advice to Management

For the marketing area, keep on. That is the area keeping the company alive.

For the engineering areas...
    Pay better salaries. The pay is good for "ball-scratchers", but you don't pay nearly enough for people who actually want to progress.
    Implement a meritocratic system. The current system will get you nothing but even more "car salesmen".
    Learn some basic management. Start with Brook's law.

Dyson Response

12 Apr 2017 – Talent Engagement Specialist

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch and leaving a review. We're sorry to read your negative comments around working for Dyson. You mention promotions being solely based on time at the company... More

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England

Pros

different from the way other industry work

Cons

does not follow norm as per other industry

Advice to Management

try leadership

6. "Like working in a factory"

Current Contractor - Contract Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England
    Current Contractor - Contract Software Engineer in Malmesbury, England

I have been working at Dyson as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- cool products, top of the range.
    - great projects
    - good food

Cons

- work space /environment is poor. your basiclly working in an opne space aircraft hanger where the noise level slowly goes up as the day goes on
    - got told on day one, no flexible hours
    - nightmare to get out of the facory and on to the main road at home time due to sheer volume of traffic exiting the car park.

Advice to Management

you want to go into hi tech with hi tech labour, then get rid of the factory working environment and get with the times. you need to bring in proper flexi time and break up the aircraft hangar into smaller workspaces.

7. "Good to work in Dyson"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Johor Bahru (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Johor Bahru (Malaysia)

I worked at Dyson full-time

Pros

Good career growth, professional environment

Cons

Some improvement required to handle work process