EF Education First Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 7, 2019

3.9
EF Education First CEO    Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult

"Great colleagues, great culture"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Extremely positive, fast paced environment. Lots of responsibility and opportunities to take ownership

Cons

Not the place for you if you need a lot of structure or defined processes.

Advice to Management

Keep building the culture

EF Education First2019-11-21
  2. "Low pay and hard work"

Former Contractor - Activities Manager in London, England

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

- International brand on CV - Good office space - Discounts/ free visits to London attractions

Cons

- Low salaries - Hard work and no compensation - No work life balance - No training but high expectations on performance

Advice to Management

Listen to your teams/employees and actively support them so that they can succeed in their roles and bring real value to the business.

EF Education First2019-12-07
  3. "Good Managerial experience"

Former Contractor - Activity Manager

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

You learn very fast that you’ve a great deal of responsibility and will learn lots of traits that will benefit you in the future.

Cons

The company don’t really take care of you. No benefits to the job at all. The occasional free meal but that’s about it. Long working hours with no overtime pay

EF Education First2019-08-29
  4. "Treats Employees Like Machines"

Former Contractor - Activities Manager in London, England

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Having the "manager" title at a young age.

Cons

Management expects you to put your job before mental and physical health. Throughout the whole summer, employees were sick, getting panic attacks, crying every day because of stress, and not sleeping. When complained about this, they blamed us, saying that if we were better prepared and did our jobs correctly, we wouldn't stay so late. Out of 10 employees, five started one week before the entire summer program... started, and the other five started they day the summer program started. There was no time to prepare for 11 weeks of upwards of 500 students. They give instructions once, and expect you to remember everything, and if you ask questions, even to clarify, you get a lot of attitude and get told off for being stupid and not listening. And if you don't ask questions out of fear, you get told off for not asking questions. They make you work upwards of 80 hours a week, and if you leave before 7pm, you will be made to feel guilty. This summer program happens every year, it is understaffed, under paid, and overwhelming. The moment you start leaving at 7pm, you will get told off, asking you why, and if you tell them for your own mental health, they will tell you that it is selfish, and that you need to think of the students. Essentially risk your mental health for the sake of the students.

Advice to Management

If you keep the employees happy, they will keep the kids happy.

EF Education First2019-07-29
  5. "A company that cares about her employees"

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

EF really invests in its employees to the fullest as long as they perform well in the job, which is very fair. They organize 2 major company parties a year and another 5 happy hours in the year for special occasions. People are human and interact with each other with respect just like members of the same family.

Cons

I don't have anything to report just yet. :)

EF Education First2019-04-29
  6. "Established Company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chelsea, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment where workers are really valued. A company that always wants to innovate and grow in the educational field

Cons

It is not a perfect company, but I can not say that there really is a cons.

EF Education First2019-02-14

"No Support from Line Manager"

Former Employee - Homestay Manager in Cambridge, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good learning experience and very dedicated and passionate people

Cons

No support from your line manager (school director), low salary, working 12-16 hours a day up to 6 days a week.

Advice to Management

You expect too much from people and don't understand those with families. I was discriminated by my line manager for having children. When I wasn't able to work until 22:00 one night I was told it was unacceptable and I need to sort out my personal life. I had started work at 07:00 that day. There is no care for student welfare to the point students terminate their course and go home because you don't want to listen... to their concerns. The host families that you use are disgusting, but when you are told this you say EF can't be picky. You put money before everything else including student happiness and staff. What is more shocking is that you failed your ISI inspection in October 2017 and only just passed the follow up in April 2018. Yet you have not declared this on your website, or to parents. In fact, I can't find any record of you being inspected despite the fact I know it happened. You are very good at covering up bad press by paying people off. Be warned, do not send your students here or work for this company.

EF Education First2019-01-09
  8. "Great company with lots of professional growth opportunities"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company's core values are exceptional and it is a fun company to work for. You have a lot of support from your manager & colleagues and there are a lot of professional development opportunities inside the company.

Cons

It is a demanding business. It requires to be committed to the company and sometimes it is difficult to combine work & family life.

EF Education First2018-10-09

"Stressful"

Former Employee - Accommodation Manager in Oxford, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

You meet a lot of people and have a lot of fun

Cons

Stressful to the max Salaries are extremely low for the work you do

EF Education First2018-04-27

"Great company with amazing people but not perfect"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Surrounded by fun, smart people from all over the world. The offices are also very nice places to work.

Cons

At the heart, it is still a very sales-driven organisation. Therefore, some decisions are more with PL in mind first.

Advice to Management

The senior leaders and management trainees have very similar backgrounds. There is an assumption that you need to have gone to a certain school or worked at a certain consultancy to get a senior position. Drawing from this same pool hurts internal moral and can create a groupthink. Also, while the ratio of men/women managers is amazing, the offices can be monochromatic.

EF Education First2018-04-11