EF Education First Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 8 Nov 2019

4.4
EF Education First CEO    Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
  1. "Great company to get started in life"

Former Employee - Head of Marketing in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Career, travel, people, project, multicultural

Cons

Fast paced, poor management, more benefits for none manager

Advice to Management

Care about people before excel

EF Education First2018-08-07

"A great company that needs to get out of its own way."

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, progressive, family-type atmosphere. Pays very well. Perks can include travel and working with over 40 different nationalities (in the London office, at least). The products, while imperfect, are at least something an idealist could believe in (education and language learning). The London offices are beautiful, and there is an exciting, youthful energy about the place. Depending on the department you work in, it can feel like you're working for a startup even though the company has been around forever. The company is not afraid to throw together a group of disparate, multitalented individuals to build a team, which makes for some thrilling brainstorming sessions. There's also an entrepreneurial spirit about the place, meaning that a lot of the time you are empowered to make the changes and improvements you need to succeed at your job.

Cons

Occasionally aimless. I don't have faith that the leadership is necessarily making the best decisions for the brand, but that's the case in most companies. Can also be a little bit of a sweatshop, depending on the department you work for. (Stay the hell away from the sales team if you value having any shred of a life.) As a member of the marketing team I had a fairly good work/life balance, unless I was working on a big project, but even then I usually stayed late just to make sure the work was above average. When I was there, there were a lot of legacy managers and directors in charge of products and divisions that had no business leading a team. They were not qualified, were often absent, and were not making decisions that were in the best interest of growing a product or brand. However, that may have changed in the years since I was there, and I will also add that I also saw the company hire some incredibly talented, brilliant individuals during my time there. There was also a bit of a lack of upward mobility, in the sense that most opportunities I saw were lateral rather than vertical.

Advice to Management

If you haven't already, quit hiring friends or family for management positions. This is a company that is well-positioned destroy the competition, but you need to invest in your products, update your technology and marketing tactics, and hire the people most qualified to take the brand into the 21st century (lest a Duolingo take you down). Also lay down the law with your marketing geos, they have way too much say.

EF Education First2018-02-13

"An enthusiastic and creative team behind an exciting education tool"

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

As another recent review pointed out, there is a very entrepreneurial spirit at Englishtown. It's exciting to get behind a great language learning tool with a young and creative team. There is also plenty of scope to really grow and develop the role you're in and make what you want of it. The management seems very open to new ideas and solutions.

Cons

Because the team is comparatively small and new there are still some growing pains in terms of processes, communication and infrastructure, which can be a frustration.

Advice to Management

Improve communication internally and continue to improve processes

EF Education First2013-10-15

"EF Englishtown - small but ambitious with great outlook in an interesting industry"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a very entrepreneurial company with ambitious people and great colleagues. It feels like you're in the frontier of your work and that everybody want to constantly push forward and evolve both as a company and regarding customer service and the product we provide. The industry is fast growing which makes the future look bright.

Cons

Some issues with infrastructure and a rather small company in comparison with the rest of EF however has the support from a very big and experienced enterprise.

Advice to Management

Improve infrastructure and become even more agile

EF Education First2013-10-02

"A good place to work!"

Former Employee - Online Marketing Manager in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very international, young, forward-looking and innovative. If you are an EF kind of person you will go far in this company, lots of opportunities to move within the company and grow your career. Great opportunities to move locations as there are offices all over the world. People at EF are generally very friendly, outgoing, down to earth.

Cons

Lack of transparency in certain situations, no clear hierarchy which makes it difficult to understand how you can climb the ladder.

Advice to Management

Give performance reviews more often, be more transparent with plans and vision for the future of the team.

EF Education First2013-01-18
  6. "Amazing Company"

Current Intern - Marketing Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

I have loved my time with EF. It's a great company with numerous opportunities for growth.

Cons

Very few cons. I will say the intern salary isn't optimal for a city like Boston.

EF Education First2019-11-08
  7. "Good and supportive team"

Former Intern - Intern Marketing in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Good team. Supportive and relatively slow-pace working environment

Cons

Career prospect might be a bit...

EF Education First2019-10-13
  8. "....."

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Coordinator in Bursa

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

company culture, comfortable working environment

Cons

sales pressure, low salary, non-payment of overtime work

EF Education First2019-09-20
  9. "Amazing company and culture"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing people, great company culture, travel perks

Cons

Salary and benefits are lower than industry average

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

EF Education First2019-08-26
  10. "Ambitious marketing and sales opportunity"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Coordinator in Copenhagen

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

there are 6 product teams in the danish office and each team is like their own business so you might have more hats on and roles to carry out then you are used to.

Cons

If you just want a 9-17 job it is probably not for you

Advice to Management

I know that has been a shift in the management team and thus the notes I would have is not relevant for the current situation

EF Education First2019-07-31