EF Education First Online English Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Dr. Edward Hult

"English teacher"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility to pursue other work also, gorgeous children & interesting work

Cons

Base line pay needed increasing

EF Education First2019-09-26

"Really great job!!!!"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

+ Flexibility!! you are able to pick your own hours and you only have to work in the mornings!! so you can get on with the rest of your day +The online teaching platform is really easy to use!! All the content is there and how to approach the lesson, little preparation is needed!! + Not such a bad pay too!! You get paid a lot more than people in other types of part time jobs!! + Lovely and respectful... students!!

Cons

Variety in the times you can teach, like teaching in the evenings or afternoons

EF Education First2019-11-14

"Online English teacher (UK)"

Former Employee - Online English Teacher in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

-great materials -amazing students -easy to use their Online platform

Cons

-salary is too low for teaching position with a minimum increase every year which is barely catching up with inflation in the UK. - No opportunities to advance or earn more money. -No possibilities to do less than 15 hours per month. This can be an additional job for many, therefore, it should be a flexible contract.

Advice to Management

Wages should be matched to your competitors. Other Online teaching companies pay much more per hour.

EF Education First2019-02-26

"EF Full Time Online Teacher"

Former Employee - Online English Teacher in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Straightforward, flexible, little preparation needed, can meet some really lovely students. Regular raises.

Cons

Having different students in every lesson means you don't get a sense of progression. Not much chance for career progression.

EF Education First2017-10-02
  5. "A sustainable, low pressure gig"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Buenos Aires

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I moved to this job from being a classroom teacher as my last employer didn't pay my wages for four months. English Online constituted more stable employment, a better rate of pay and the end of unpaid work (marking exams, lesson planning, data entry). It took 6-8 months to feel really comfortable with it, but since then I've felt very comfortable in the online classroom. The pattern of teaching for 40-45 minutes... and having the rest of the hour to complete an evaluation form is sustainable. Other online platforms offer much shorter breaks, and the accumulated stress takes its toll eventually, even if they pay a bit better. I am able to develop good relationships with one-on-one students, sometimes up to 100 classes over more than a year. It is difficult to get that kind of student loyalty working as an independent teacher. Teachers are paid via Payoneer, which works well. I am able to send money to my bank account in my home country or the country where I live. Payoneer seems to charge for currency exchange but not for a simple transaction in USD. It may be a good idea to set up your own Payoneer account before you add English Live as a payee, in order to have the full range of payment options. A few times, I have tried to move to other platforms and it didn't work out. English Live has allowed me to return to my old job on each occasion.

Cons

Online teaching is not quite as much fun as working in a real classroom. Punishments, such as a reduction in scheduling priority, for breaking the rules e.g. deleting schedules so you can do better paid work for another company, are administered silently. You are not notified of specifically what you did wrong, how much you are being punished or for how long. Responses via Contact Us are often disinterested... and occasionally quite rude. The variable pay day from the 16th to the 25th of month is pretty unbearable. Some online platforms are able to pay on the 15th every month. Others pay weekly. The evaluation system means that anything less than a five-star evaluation or no evaluation is bad news. A bad tempered student can smash your evaluation average with one hit, without having to explain themselves.

Advice to Management

I would not presume to advise the management on any issue, but I do hope that the kids platform is fully rolled out quite soon.

EF Education First2019-10-30
  6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Bryanston

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great and secure office. EF has hands-on supervisors, managers and HR department. A good incentive is given if a specific rating is reached.

Cons

Low pay compared to other online platforms. Teachers sit quite close together so students might hear other teachers around, especially if the teachers are loud.

Advice to Management

Higher, more competitive salary considering teachers have to teach all levels with a variety of different (and sometimes complex) topics.

EF Education First2019-09-10

"Beware of Shady "Center Managers" and Lack of Communication Between Chinese and U,S, "Headquarters""

Former Contractor - Online English Teacher in Loveland, CO

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

You will most likely receive a lot of students if that is what you seek. The curriculum is built in and you can use your own materials, but most parents don't approve of this.

Cons

So many, but you don't realize any of them until after a month or so: 1. Parents can schedule you for 30 classes and then cancel you on a whim. This only happened to me twice, but can Luzon imagine how it feels when it happens to people a lot. 2. The American centers in the U.S. DO NOT communicate with the online EF support team. I provided documentation to the EF online center as to why I missed a class. The... information and explanation is accepted by the EF online center and you receive a message that the "case is closed." You assume the situation is resolved. However, I received a RUDE message from someone in one of their U.S. hub locations telling me that I am breaching my contract. I explained that I provided documentation and the case was closed. I THEN provided the U.S. team the SAME documentation. They were very obtuse and told me that I could no longer work there because I missed classes that were already confirmed as excusable/reasonable absences. I was sent a blanket email terminating my employment and would not. Now, I had a fully booked schedule (200 plus classes per month for six months out), am a licensed teacher of many years, , TESOL certified, come highly recommended by families and former employers, liked by students, input a lots of materials into my classes, etc. I have taught ALL ages both in a brick and mortar schools for 12 year sand have taught online for five. I am good at what I do, but EF had zero faith in what I stated, were rude, unprofessional, AND sent an email terminating my teaching position that I put everything into. You are simply a number on a spreadsheet and not a teacher, and not an individual. BE CAREFUL. They present as very open to personal experiences, state that they are respectful that people have lives, mishaps, etc. I have a toddler and things do occasionally happen. I have never been more duped than anywhere else. They want to overwork you and hang you out to dry when you are experience! RUN. Do not teach heree

Advice to Management

HORRIBLE center management with NO experience. You will not be valued and dismissed with ease, no second thought about you as an individual. Disgusting.

EF Education First2019-10-06
  8. "Flexible work with amazing students"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I'm in my 3 year of working with EF. It has been perfect for me because I have been working around Europe and I have moved to a few countries and now back in Canada. So in my case it was a perfect way to ensure that I had income in between jobs or in the process of moving. I love the students. They are super motivated and super excited to learn English with Native English Speakers.

Cons

The main con is that when I'm searching for other online English jobs, I am seeing that they are offering $24-34/hour USD for the same amount of preparation for classes, corrections for students and overall work. Whereas with English Live it starts at $10 USD/hour and gradually gets larger year after year. While I was abroad, the pay was sufficient. However now that I'm back in North America, I'm debating whether... the financial reward is worth my time anymore. English teaching is my hobby, and I love it, but I may need to think about finding other alternatives.

Advice to Management

I understand that the writing corrections are an extra source of income. I also took part in the voice recordings for the extra income. I will make a case to see what other options can work for me as well. As I really love your company, your students and everything.

EF Education First2019-08-14

"Flexible hours and enjoyable work but the pay is low"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to meet with and work with people from around the world. I found it to be very rewarding. It is very flexible - you choose your own hours.

Cons

The pay is low. It is difficult to be eligible for pay increase. Sometimes you can lose the bonus if you don't maintain an average of sixty hours a month or positive reviews.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to keep the bonus that you earn even if subsequently you do less hours.

EF Education First2019-08-05

"Good company"

Current Contractor - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Organization, students, international environment, flexible, understanding staff

Cons

Pay, hours, no, no, no

Advice to Management

N/a

EF Education First2019-06-27