EF Education First Reviews

3.3
EF Education First CEO  Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
Pros
Cons
  • "Disorganised and long hours over the weekends(in 116 reviews)

• "low salary for part-time job like teaching assistant(in 100 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"It's a lot better than reviews here will have you think"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong culture, actually doing good in the world, smart & empathetic leaders

Cons

Drinking the cool-aid is required, low amount of work benefits compared to other places, daily office attendance expected

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Home-based Online English Teacher in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Good training 2. Good communication 3. Nice, hard-working students 4. Good material to work with

Cons

1. The pay is a bit on the low side. You spend a lot of time preparing and then reporting on the class. This aspect should be accounted for in the pay

3. "Great!"

Current Employee - Designer

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Lots of smart people to work with

Cons

No mobility access in London office

4. "EF"

Former Employee - Junior Accountant in Aylesbury, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Colleagues, Location, Company, Culture, Future

Cons

Need to update on certain procedures

5. "Lots of cons"

1.0
    Current Employee - Online English Teacher in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

- You can choose your own hours - Some students are really nice

Cons

- Inconsistent hours of working. You may be available for 6 hours a day but only get given 3 hours, all with annoying gaps of 45/60 minutes in between. - Lots of students fail to turn up to private lessons and teachers only get paid a fraction of the full hour if this happens. Students who consistently do this aren't punished and the company offers little support to teachers who experience students doing this - The pay is really low and they expect you to answer emails and spend time writing reports for each student after the lesson which is time consuming and further reduces the rate. - When you enter a group lesson you have no idea what level or topic you're teaching until you enter the classroom at the same time as the students. This means you feel pressurised and often have no idea what is coming up in the lesson. - The lesson content is also really difficult to follow when you have limited time to prepare for what you're going to teach. The target language for the lesson can only be found on one or two particular pages and there's no way that teachers can look ahead or check the teacher notes on other slides during the lesson. - They operate a bonus system based entirely on student ratings for the lessons you teach. These ratings are completely subjective and if a student doesn't like you for whatever reason, they can affect your monthly average rating with a low score which affects your chances of receiving a bonus.

6. "Great culture"

Current Employee - Project Management in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engaging, fast-paced, not tied down with red tape

Cons

Clarity is lacking at times

July 8, 2020Vice President of Recruitment and Employee Development

Thanks for the feedback! So glad to know you're enjoying the fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture at EF! Keep up the great work and best of luck as you progress in your career!

7. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great values, family feel, entrepreneurial, freedom to experiment, amazing corporate culture

Cons

Fair overtime work that is not compensated, or seasonal work (meaning crazy hours in summer and normal, not reduced hours in winter) for some departments. Not sure how competitive the salary is as well.

8. COVID-19

"Opaque, automated and autocratic"

1.0
    Former Employee - Online English Teacher in London, England

I worked at EF Education First part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Online working is a safe option during a global pandemic. Many of the students are entertaining. In comparison to other companies, this TEFL site does appear to comply with employment laws, i.e. you will have a contract, minimal statuary rights and you will be paid as expected.

Cons

Working from home does offer some freedom and flexibility, however the hours are not guaranteed. If we worked in offices our employer would provide the equipment, pay the heating and lighting and we would benefit from face-to-face interaction with colleagues. This company pays above minimum wage but requires a significant investment from workers, i.e. headphones, strong internet and a comfortable, well-lit home office. Moreover, the significant screen time required to earn a living wage is a definite disadvantage. As we are hourly paid, taking breaks is not incentivised, reporting errors in the teaching slides is also unpaid. We are expected to check emails daily, this is unpaid. Preparation is assumed but unpaid. You are expected to arrive early for your class, but you will not be paid. The reports frequently take longer than the allocated time to complete. You will be expected to respond to student emails for free. Training is now paid, however we are encouraged to join online Zoom meetings for free. Online teaching is very demanding. The recent Covid-19 pandemic has demonstrated just how draining video conferences can be, now imagine you cannot turn your camera off and you are not paid for those desperately needed breaks away from the screen. However, the worst aspect is that the teachers have so little control over the teaching materials which are frequently filled with errors. We are also unable to access an entire course or perceive how the different roles interact. Everything is very segmented, you cannot see how the resources are designed, or how the people beyond your role operate. I suspect this is because the company perceives each contractor as a potential competitor. However, it makes teachers feel like intensively farmed animals, churning out classes, trapped in low wage, low autonomy anonymity.

July 27, 2020Engagement and Retention Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us about your teaching experience with EF, both the good and not-so-good. We are delighted to hear that you, like so many of our teachers, enjoyed your interactions with learners, and that you could teach from the safety of your home, particularly during this pandemic. Like with most things, there are advantages and disadvantages, and you’ve shared some disadvantages of working from home for you. Concerning scheduling, available class hours come from student demand, and unfortunately that is something that is outside of our control. And with regards to breaks, we do always encourage teachers to take breaks, and while not paid, you are in control of your schedule and can and should plan breaks for yourself. Mandatory teacher training is paid at the UK Centre, regardless of where it is hosted, however optional webinars are not paid, but attendance is encouraged to keep up to date and connected. Regarding our content, we have all content accessible to teachers in the demo room, and where possible, we do share upcoming class lists. We will report your comment on frequent errors to our editorial team and make a conscious effort to get more teacher input when there are product changes, such as the video GL. Thanks again for your feedback.

9. "Good for part time work"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First part-time

Pros

Good option for part time teaching experience Good hourly rate

Cons

No real downsides, what you would expect from this type of employer

June 9, 2020Engagement and Retention Specialist

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out and share your experiences. We’re happy to hear that you are enjoying teaching with EF part-time, and that you find our hourly rate to be suitable for the work. Please be sure to let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your experience. Thanks again for your feedback.

"Oraganised and supportive teaching company"

Current Employee - Online ESL Teacher in Birmingham, England

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Gradual pay increase Good support center Promotion form within Flexible hours

Cons

Training does not prepare you for difficult children Minimal obligation from parents/students to show up on time/at all Limited hours available

May 29, 2020Engagement and Retention Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback. We’re pleased to hear that you find the UK Center to be supportive and flexible, and that you’re able to grow within the company. We understand that students can sometimes be difficult in lessons, and we’re sorry that you didn’t feel prepared after completing the training. We do have a supplementary Managing Difficult Situations document that may help you beyond your training, so please do ask management if you haven’t received that. Due to the nature of the services that we provide, we do need to understand that students and their parents do require some flexibility with their booking, so we are unable to enforce a mandatory attendance policy. With that said, we will take this feedback onboard, and look for opportunities to improve. And finally, the lack of hours is caused by the lower student demand at the moment. With more schools opening in China, we’re hopeful that the student demand will increase in the coming weeks. Thanks again for your sharing your experience.

Found 2021 reviews