EF Education First Reviews

Updated 27 May 2020

3.3
EF Education First CEO  Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult

"Money making at the expense of pedagogically sound education"

2.0
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bournemouth, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team to work with.

Cons

The materials, especially general English, are awful. Truly dreadful. All the teaching staff recognise it and talk about them in very negative terms. How can a global empire be built on those books?! We were actively encouraged to infringe copyright with other materials, photocopying reams and reams of other textbooks for class. If you don't have a very solid personal supply of excellent and well organised teaching materials, don't accept a job at EF because materials are a joke. The only thing that matters to senior management is filled classrooms. Full classrooms means the only way you can move students into the correct level is by moving someone else. Students progress through the levels and it did not matter one bit if they were ready, they just all passed, all the time. Mostly all students were placed based on their online placement test and then the day they arrived, the spoken test made no difference in about 80% of cases. These two huge factors meant I just couldn't continue working there. I felt like I was robbing from the students because each class had such a variance of levels that it was impossible to effectively differentiate. There are differences in levels in any class, but having A2 students in every B2/C1 classes is an absolute joke.

EF Education First2020-04-26

April 28, 2020Director

We are very sorry reading that you feel this way after working with us at EF. We wish you had mentioned this before leaving us, during your reviews/observations. We would have been able to support and help you more all the way with us. EF produce its own materials and we are constantly investing in the production of new resources for our teachers. A vast array of resources are available to our teachers in the form of supplementary material and the latest TEFL resource releases to assist in the production of lessons. The EF Bournemouth staffroom is continuously praised for their impressive offerings to teachers to produce great lessons. Student complete a placement test pre-arrival and then an oral assessment on arrival and student are placed accordingly. Students have strengths in many different areas and we expect our teachers to be able to differentiate any potential disparity in classes where necessary. During busy summer periods the consistent moving of students is not encouraged and any requests will be taken on board and arrangements made as soon as possible. The wonderful feedback from teachers and students year round makes it even more disappointing that your experience was not equally as rewarding. We wish you all the best in the future, the EF Bournemouth Team.

"AVOID"

Former Employee - Teachers in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

* Visa assistance * Help to find an apartment & set up mobile phone

Cons

* Unprofessional/rude management * Expect to high quality work, to attend meetings/training etc but only pay per teaching hours (during pandemic) * Removed bonuses and additional housing/flight allowance despite still doing the job *No clear communication - important information is often witheld * Underpaid

EF Education First2020-05-10

"Great colleagues, horrible politics"

Former Employee - IOS Software Developer in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- great colleagues - really nice office - yearly kickoffs - office gym -

Cons

The office politics are horrible and they really weigh down on the morale.

EF Education First2020-04-12

April 14, 2020Director

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the many facilities offered in our London office. We agree the people at EF are great colleagues and friends. At EF, we strive to be a flat organisation with little hierarchy. We are sorry to hear you still experiences, to what you refer to as "office politics". In our offices, we have the RED (Recruitment and Development Team) are they are always available if staff don't feel comfortable speaking to their manager about issues at the work place. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

4. "Great people to work with"

Current Employee - Online English Tutor in Liverpool, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, great training opportunities, very supportive staff

Cons

Students can cancel last minute

EF Education First2020-03-30

May 15, 2020Engagement and Retention Specialist

It’s great to see such positive feedback and we thank you for taking the time to send it in. We are proud to see that you have experienced the support of EF staff and continued to develop with training. We know that it can be frustrating when a student cancels a lesson, especially if it’s last minute, but we allow this to remain competitive in the market and offer good student experience.Thanks again for your feedback.

5. "Flexible, good company to work for!"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Liverpool, England

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Choose your own schedule, work from home. Flexible. Always pay on time. Progression opportunities.

Cons

Parents/Students can cancel classes last minute. Schedule can be up and down. Hours not always guaranteed.

EF Education First2020-03-30

April 2, 2020Vice President of Recruitment and Employee Development

So glad to hear you are enjoying the flexibility and opportunity to grow at EF! I hope you continue to thrive here!

"----"

Current Employee - EF360 Tech Trainee in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people I worked with were great.

Cons

I have been led to believe that higher management are terrible.

EF Education First2020-04-16

April 27, 2020Director

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy working with amazing colleagues from around the globe. We agree that the people at EF are truly amazing. We invest a lot of time and resources in our trainee programs and I'm terribly sorry to hear your trainee year has not lived up to what you expected. I would very much encourage you to speak to the RED team in London about your situation and talk about what you need from us. We are also sorry to hear that you don't always agree with management. We have trust in our managers that they are doing a good job but nobody is perfect and I would recommend to talk to your manager or someone senior in your team regarding your thoughts. We welcome feedback and always looking for ways to improve when we have identified a problem. Best regards

"Treats staff horrifically"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free gym and bar, good work-life balance

Cons

Made staff redundant immediately during Covid-19 crisis, despite huge personal wealth of owners, then abused government furlough scheme. Treats staff well while they need you and then they drop you as quickly as possible. Very little possibility for career advancement. No HR department so no one you can talk to about human resources issues. No transparency in salary structure.

EF Education First2020-04-14

April 15, 2020Vice President of Recruitment and Employee Development

Thank you for your feedback. While I’m glad to hear you’ve enjoyed EF’s work-life balance, I’m disappointed to read about your experience with human resource issues. We know our people are what make our business and our culture so unique, and we work hard to ensure they have the resources to feel supported and fulfilled in their career development. We appreciate the feedback. Thank you for all you do as part of the EF team.

8. "Good"

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Great Culture, modern offices and good opportunities

Cons

Siloed development due to scale of the company

EF Education First2020-03-09

"avoid like the plague"

Current Employee - Digital Manager in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

amazing international team hired in my case

Cons

awful management, no career progression unless you are Sweedish

EF Education First2020-04-09

April 9, 2020Vice President of Recruitment and Employee Development

We are sorry to hear this feedback. Unfortunately, this unprecedented time has led us to make difficult decisions that have affected our company’s best asset: our people. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors, and we thank you for all you’ve done as part of the EF team.

10. "Lots of opportunities to progress but.."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

-lots of opportunities to progress -every office/school has very friendly staff

Cons

-long hours -expected to work extra hours without extra pay -very low pay -conditions make it hard to do job

EF Education First2020-03-11

March 16, 2020Director

Thank you for this feedback! At EF, we put a lot of effort into professional development and thanks to the many offices and schools around the world, we can offer a wide range of opportunities. In terms of salary, we do review our compensation structure regularly to ensure we are offering a competitive package. Please get in touch with compliance@ef.com if you feel you are treated unfairly in terms of working hours or working conditions. We wish you all the best in your future EF career!

Found 1961 reviews