EF Education First Reviews

Updated 27 May 2020

3.3
EF Education First CEO  Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult

"Fun job but zero hours contract and low pay"

Former Employee - Online ESL Teacher

I worked at EF Education First part-time

Pros

The company provides some online training and mentoring. The teaching platform is quite user friendly and most of the students are serious about their English. There is good flexibility for teachers of adults, but less so on the kids' program. You can work from home. High expectations of teachers - professional environment.

Cons

The job is very badly paid - especially as 1) you provide your own workspace (heat and light, broadband, computer, headset and camera), 2) preparation for lessons is not paid for, 3) you are allocated private lessons, and the students very often don't show or cancel at the last minute, leaving you with wasted time. If you get 1 bad review a month that can seriously affect how much you're paid. Hours of work are not guaranteed. You are paid the same even if you are very good and work on special programs under pressure to perform at a high level. This job pays less than cleaning or working in a store, despite expecting work at a high level, a university degree, professional qualifications, etc.

Continue reading
    EF Education First2019-12-05
  2. "Loved it...mostly"

4.0
    Former Employee - Product Owner in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Start-up culture in digital team, within a big organisation. Generally great people. Inspiring vision.

Cons

Internally used products were great to work on. Inspiring vision to develop products for third party use, but without the plan to deliver it.

EF Education First2019-11-23

December 2, 2019Director

Thank you for your feedback and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

3. "Mad house"

Current Employee - Tutor

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Good students, flexible schedules, weekly pay

Cons

Corporate BS, low pay for teachers

EF Education First2019-12-05

December 18, 2019Director

Thank you for this feedback! Happy to hear you enjoyed working together with our students and the flexibility. In terms of salary, we do review our compensation structure regularly to ensure we are offering a competitive package. We wish you all the best in your future career!

4. "Overall good"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

It gets you into China

Cons

There are better jobs out there

EF Education First2019-12-04

"Really great job!!!!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

+ Flexibility!! you are able to pick your own hours and you only have to work in the mornings!! so you can get on with the rest of your day +The online teaching platform is really easy to use!! All the content is there and how to approach the lesson, little preparation is needed!! + Not such a bad pay too!! You get paid a lot more than people in other types of part time jobs!! + Lovely and respectful students!!

Cons

Variety in the times you can teach, like teaching in the evenings or afternoons

EF Education First2019-11-14

November 19, 2019Engagement and Retention Specialist

Thanks for such a positive review! We love to hear that you enjoy the flexibility, that you’re happy with our teaching platform and the pay. Due to student demographics, we do have limited hours where classes can be booked, and this is completely controlled by student demand. We understand that these hours won’t be attractive for everyone, but hope that like you, people will continue to focus on the positives. Thanks again!

"Terrible"

1.0
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

A strong culture of presenteeism with people being very unproductive but deemed to be doing well as they would sit at their desks into the evening. The worst work-life balance I have ever experienced at any organization. It feels like a talent vacuum with very old fashioned working practices. You need to give up your life to the company to progress.

EF Education First2019-12-20

"Would never work for EF ever again"

1.0
    Former Employee - Course Leader, Teacher in Oxford, England

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

You can watch and learn from the many mistakes staff members make.

Cons

- super low pay for working 24/7 - people seem to be randomly selected for jobs - dirty accommodation

EF Education First2019-12-07

December 18, 2019Director

Hello. Sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience working at EF. Please reach out to to us at teacher.welfare@ef.com if you want to further discuss your experience, we do appreciate all feedback from former employees. Best regards

8. "Academic, Pastoral support and Liasion with admisson and parents."

Current Employee - Pathway Manager in Torquay, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly, flexible and easy to communicate with people

Cons

Not really, I really enjoyed my time working here

EF Education First2019-11-14

November 25, 2019Director

First of all, thank you for your 3+ years of commitment to EF. Great to hear that you enjoy coming to work. Our people and culture are something we are very proud of and what really makes us different. I hope 2019 brings more amazing opportunities your way!

"Long hours, lack of appreciation"

2.0
    Current Employee - Accommodation Officer

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Worked with some fun people

Cons

Long hours with no reward, lack of transparency of what the role actually involves at interview stage, lack of organisation

Continue reading
    EF Education First2019-10-22

October 28, 2019Direector, Global Recruitment & Development

Hi. Thank you for your feedback. Happy to hear you enjoyed your colleagues and we appreciate your feedback regarding long days. We will take this onboard and discuss how we can prevent going forward. Best regards

10. "Good Culture, Fun Work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Internship in London, England

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

People, Culture, Start-up feeling which i liked

Cons

Not advanced technology which I did not like

EF Education First2019-09-30

October 7, 2019Direector, Global Recruitment & Development

Thank you for this feedback! Great to hear that you enjoy coming to work. Our people and culture are something we are very proud of and what really makes us different. I hope 2019 brings more amazing opportunities your way!

Found 1961 reviews